front end slop - 83 Chevy G30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patsdad

My 83 Minnie 22' (100,000 mi ) has what feels to me like some excess play in the steering.  Since it's my first motorhome, and I haven't driven a low-mileage version of this chassis, I don't really have anything to compare it to, so I don't know what's "normal" .  We just returned from a 3000 mi trip to FL from upstate NY, and I didn't really have any problems, but it just seems to have some free play in the steering, and requires constant small corrections.  I fitted new Monroe Magna RV shocks before the trip, and inspection shows no obvious free play in the tie rods, and everything looks as if it's been greased recently. Previous owner was a mechanical type, and probably gave it appropriate maintenance and care.
Can anyone tell me what parts ( upper and/or lower ball joints ? inner and/or outer tie rod ends ? other ? ) tend to wear on these, and what parts tend to need replacement ?  I plan only local trips for the next year, and having returned from a successful long one, I don't want to just throw parts at it.  Front tires are new, so it's hard to really 'read' the wear, but it looks even to me.  It's not pulling to one side or the other, and passing trucks don't cause big problems; it has perhaps 2" free play in either direction at the steering wheel.
It does 'scrub' the tires when turning at the steering limit, even at creeping speed,  whether backing or forward - not sure if this is normal for these or not.
Suggestions ?

Back
Top Bottom