Insurance for a rental RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Little

Hi. I'm looking to rent an RV for a short period this summer to go to the Clifftop Music festival in West Virginia. I've got a quote which seems fine, but I'm confused about what insurance I could/should get. The rental company seem to assume that my UK car insurance and/or my credit card will provide some insurance - but I'm pretty sure they won't. I also have little idea what terms such as CDW and Supplemental Liability Coverage mean.

Never had this problem when renting a car in the US, but I guess the car rental companies are used to ignorant foreignors.

Can anyone help?

Hi Bob,

CDW = collision damage waiver. If you have this coverage, you won't have to pay for any damage to the RV caused during an accident that's your fault. (This is quite normal for rental cars also.)

Supplemental liability insurance; The basic insurance has some limit on what they'll pay for things like bodily injury to the other party, or damage to someone else's property. You'll probably want to take the additional (supplemental) coverage. FYI we carry $500,000 liability insurance on all our vehicles.

Credit card companies used to provide some insurance coverage for rental vehicles, but I don't recall what the coverage was, or if it's still done. You'll need to contact your credit card company.

Agree that your UK car insurance won't extend to rental here, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

One caveat - I've never rented an RV, but have rented cars many time over the years, although not recently.

Just curious, what other coverages are they offering you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom