rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener Problem  (Read 150 times)

holdem

• ---
Garage Door Opener Problem
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
So I have a Liftmaster garage door opener that I'm having trouble with. It was running but the door wasn't moving. I opened the cover and discovered that the gear was broken. I replaced the gear. Now the door goes down and gets to about an inch or two of the ground and then goes right back up. I have turned the adjustment screw to make the door go down further but that didn't help. Any ideas? Thank you.

Neal

• ---
Re: Garage Door Opener Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »
I think you might try increasing the down pressure adjustment or look for something breaking the line of sight between the safety lights.
Neal,        2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z, Freightliner XC-S chassis,
Cummins ISB 6.7L 350 HP, Allison 3000,  2014 Honda CRV Toad.

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
So I have a Liftmaster garage door opener that I'm having trouble with. It was running but the door wasn't moving. I opened the cover and discovered that the gear was broken. I replaced the gear. Now the door goes down and gets to about an inch or two of the ground and then goes right back up. I have turned the adjustment screw to make the door go down further but that didn't help. Any ideas? Thank you.
You mean the two white nylon /plastic  gears inside? Did you replace both? If one of them is damaged at a certain area, that's what happens, door  will reverse as soon as it gets to the damaged area on the gear.

It happened to one of my door openers, also a LiftMaster.   Replacing the two plastic gears fixed it. So I am wondering if your "broken" gear damaged the other and stripped it a little.

BTW, I know there many are different models of Liftmaster, but that was the problem with mine.
Anyway, check the other gears for any damage.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Nine  motorcycles:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank
2017 H-D RoadGlide Ultra FLTRU

aguablanco

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »
You need to re center the limits. Then reset them for proper travel. PM me if you are still having issues.
RichH
Retired Garage Door Contractor.
2017 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
2010 Freedom Spirit 24 FBSL
Curt 10K WDH
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:16:21 AM »
I don't know what model you have, but I have a lift master and it was a nightmare.  I replaced the boards there are 2. Twice. Lift master replace the whole unit. Since the new unit was installed I had to replace one of the boards again.  I told them that I could work for them with all the time I spent on the ladder.  I have a feeling it is a temperature problem. When the temp. Drops the motor acts up. Comes down and stops and goes back up. Starts going down and goes back up.
I replaced the motor this spring and now waiting for the temperature to drop.

I am traveling, and hope to be home Saturday. PA
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
I agree with the 'retired Garage door contractor'  :))