slide out awning flapping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denjen

Hi,
My coach is 7 years old now.
After dealing with my slide out awnings flapping on windy nights I have finally designed a simple device to stop it that can be installed without climbing on your roof or a ladder and easily removed. It will also collapse for better storage. I have measured several slide outs from class A to towables and sized it to fit most all.

Here is my question. Before I move forward and try to build a prototype or get a patent and have them made I would like to hear from all you other folks with "flappers". Do you think it is worth my time and money. To solve this problem, what would you consider a price limit for the fix?

For all you that respond
Thank you

Denjen

Welcome to the forum. Maybe others will give more feedback.

Lot of people use a small beach type ball, most people don't have a problem. I once had some slight flapping, tightened the tension one round after i got back home and everything was good again.

It depends. My slide covers do flap at times, but not usually enough to be a major issue.  It would depend on if your device was easily installed on taller rigs, and what the price point was.  If the winds are really bad I will usually retract the slides on the side that is the issue. 

If I were to buy and carry another new device to eliminate flapping of the slide top, it would have to be pretty unique. A really unique device would be one that I would install once and never have to remove. 

I seriously doubt I would be interested as I have found other ways to deal with this issue.

BTW your thread was blocked for some reason by the other forum you posted.

If you've got the time and inclination, make one for yourself.  Trying to market them to the masses might prove to be a little expensive though.  Most of us who've had this issue (or continue to have like me) have figured out something that works for us.  I'm not saying that pitching it to somebody like Camping World who caters to beginning RV'rs wouldn't work but I don't think sales would be enough to justify the expense of development.  By the way, Carefree of Colorado who makes slide toppers has their own version which can be retro-fitted to their awnings.

Back
Top Bottom