Please help me pick a home (completely overwhelmed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonhuffington

My name is Jon and I am new to this forum.  I have never owned a RV, but I am looking to buy one.  I don't know anything about RVs, nor do I know anyone who does.  I have searched the internet to get as much information as possible; I feel overwhelmed.  I have been to every local dealership in my area.  You are never going to believe what they told me?  THEY sell the best RV on the market, perfect for me.  As you can see, I need some help.

I would appreciate any general advice, suggestions, or comments you might have.  Also, any brands or models to consider would be a great help.

I know much of purchasing an RV is based upon preferences and situations.  Below I listed both:

1.  The RV will be my full-time home.
2.  The RV will be put in a park (I am not traveling in it).
3.  I will pay for someone else to move the RV.
4.  I would like a new RV.
5.  I prefer the fiberglass siding.
6.  I seem to prefer the layout of 5th wheels (although travel trailers are fine).  I looked at park models, not for me.
7.  My budget is $40,000.
8.  I am afraid of wood framing.
9.  I prefer 20' to 30' feet.
10.  I am most interested in quality construction that will last, as opposed to fancy options.
11.  I live in central Texas, so the climate is generally mild in the winters and hot in the summers.
12.  So far my favorite has been the Heartland Sundance 5th Wheel (any opinions).

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I posted it the "Trailers & Fifthwheels" and "fulltiming" sections.

Thanks for all of you help in advance.  I am excited to hear from each of you.

Jon

utahclaimjumper,
Thanks for the response.  I have looked at the park models; didn't care for them.  While I will be stationary, I still wanted something compact, with the ability to move easily (even with someone else's help); the park models don't seem to fit that bill.  I should have mentioned this in my post.  Is there a way to update the post?

Like I said, I really liked the fifthwheels.  Are there any out there you might think of that might fit my situation or preferences?

Thanks,
Joe

That question can only be answered by you,, you have to be comfortable with the floor plan or you will grow to hate it.  So go out and look, look, look,, you should take all that a salesperson has to say with a grain of salt,, YOU have to be satisfied.>>>D

The quality of the materials and workmanship go largely with the price. RVs are very competitive in pricing, so a cheaper one will always have cheaper materials or other shortcuts (not necessarily) obvious) to hold the cost down.  If you can tell quality woodworking and upholstery, you are a long way toward finding the better built rigs.

Winnebago recently bought the Sunnybrook brand and made it their own, so Winnebago One and Sunnybrook trailers are probably a good bet. Holiday Rambler's Aluma-Lite line is another decent brand. Also consider the Keystone Montana series.  You will probaly get plenty of "I like mine" suggestions as well, but somebody esle's likes may not be yours.

You need to shop a lot and get familiar with the various floor plans to figure out what works for you. And the size you need as well. For example, you need a larger size to get a decent sized bathroom and shower. Or if you want to include your own washer dryer so you don't have to trundle off to the laundromat all the time.

You also need to get over the wood framing bit,, virtually everything has some wood in its construction, particularly RVs.>>>D  ( You    need to ask hard questions about insulation in the ceiling and walls,, sounds like you will be using your AC during the summer months)

utahclaimjumper,

Good point about the wood.

You mention insulation.  I live in Austin and last year we had 70 days of 100+ heat (it was a record).  I notice they rate with an r-value.  What would you consider a good r-value for extreme heat?  Is there an area where the value should be higher (sides, floor, roof)?

Obviously I'll also try to find a shaded pad.

Thanks,
Jon

That's difficult to asses as wall thickness is needed to pack extra insulation into, and RVs are not noted for thick walls. A high tech insulation product would be prohibitively priced  for the average RV, but you could keep it in mind as you look and compare units.>>>Dan

My suggestion...I know you say you prefer new, but maybe consider newer used? Here's why I say this. All areas are different, so what I experience here, may not be that way there, but worth a look....

Sometimes a used higher end fifth wheel is the same price as a new lower quality fifth wheel. May be able to find a gently used 30-32ft Hitchhiker, Carraige, Travel Supreme, Excel, etc well in you're price range, with better quality, and better insulation. The higher end stuff is usually built like a tank, but you're gonna leave it, or hire out the move anyway. They may come with or at least have the hookups for stacked washer/dryers, generators, etc. already installed. Also they are built with full time living in mind. Most everything in your price range and lower is considered a 3 season unit. Built for weekends and 2-4 week vacations. Not saying one can't full time in it, it'll just wear out faster. Being that this will be you're full time home, I would error on the side of 30ft or more. In my opinion anything shorter will probably get claustrophobic in a hurry.

Don't be afraid of wood framing. Its been used since the beginning of the industry. My unit has the aluminum framing. Whenever it gets a little chilly with a heavy dew, in the morning I can look at the side of the unit and see exactly where every stud is. That is because metal conducts, transfers hots and colds. Wood does not. Now I've never had any quality issues with my aluminum studs, but never had any issues with two previous 5'ers with wood studs either. Chances are the walls will be aluminum, as most units with gel coat fiberglass use aluminum.

One other thought. If you buy new, inquire about the warranty. Most manufacturers don't like to honor warranties on products used as full time units. Also, being in the heat of Texas, if buying new it might be a good idea to opt for a second air conditioner if available, or at least upgrade to a 15k unit. Also tinted glass helps alot.

Kenz,
Very good post!  Gives me a lot to think about.

I was unaware of the warranty issue for fulltimers.  This makes a big difference, because I was buying new for the warranty.

And I didn't think about the metal framing conducting cold and heat, good points.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

We have a lot of fulltimers here and I don't hear of problems with OEM warranties. I suppose if the claim was premature wear-out on something, e.g. upholstery, that could be an issue.  I don't even recall hearing anybody say they were ever even asked if they fulltime when requesting a warranty repair. Any input from you fulltimers? We are about halftimers ourselves and the question has never arisen.

I copied this from the Operators Manual for my coach, it may have changed for the newer MHs.:
NOTE: Your coach is not designed or intended to be used as permanent housing. Using this product for long term occupancy or
permanent housing may lead to premature deterioration of structure, interior finishes, fabrics, carpeting and drapes.
Damage or deterioration due to long term occupancy may not be considered normal and, under the terms of the warranty,
may constitute misuse, abuse, or neglect, and may therefore reduce your warranty protection.

I beleave Jayco specifically states that fulltime use voids the warranty, at least they use to.

Trailers and 5th wheels that state they are for four season use generally have better insulation. The Northwood products; Artic Fox, Desert Fox and Nash; are in what I would consider the moderate price range and have a good reputation.

In my opinion, the RV Consumers Group http://rv.org/ has a lot of good information for those that may be new to RVs, but it does cost to join.

The passage that ItascaRVer cited is a fairly typical one. It doesn't void the warranty, but it sure gives the manufacturer a lot of wiggle room.  ;)

Still, it is not a clause that is often invoked, as near as I can tell, and I've been active of several RV web sites for over 15 years.

I just did what you are contemplating and from your first post about equal in  knowledge of the RV life.  I bought a used KZ 3158 5er with 3 slides, rear living and all the rest of those things. It took a little while to sort out all of the terms used but once you do you can read an ad and know if it is a bunkhouse(BH) or a toy hauler (TH) rear kitchen (RK) just from reading the model numbers on many of them.  I did allot of my searching on craigslist went to a few dealers and wound up buying from an individual on CL .  That was in November 2010 and so far pretty pleased with the decision.

Now for the "if I knew then what I know now" part.  I miss my ice maker.  It would be nice to have a more enclosed and larger bathroom.  Units the age of mine 2003 were designed for CRT tv's and putting in a big flat screen is problematic.  Living costs in RV parks are marginally higher than I expected.  My unit has 2 30lb propane tanks, when you use the furnace to heat, you burn through them quickly, then the fridge goes along with the hot water heater, both of mine will switch over to electric but it does not seem as cold or as hot respectively.  Where I am it's $22.00 per tank to refill figure a couple per month minimum in the winter.  Electric at my park is billed at 13 cents pkh.  I looked at a a couple places that were 17 cents pkh.  My unit has space for a W/D but I don't have either, that means laundry. 

All of the above is little stuff compared to the one big problem I foresee but have not faced yet.  My unit has 30 amp service and a single 15K A/C.  Like you I am in Texas and already concerned that it will not keep up in the summer. My guess is that 30 amps will not support a second unit and even if it will how do you install the extra roof unit.  Above all else I wish I had considered 50amp service and two AC units as a must.

Good luck on your journey.

HTX

My guess is that 30 amps will not support a second unit and even if it will how do you install the extra roof unit.

The installation part is simple - RV air conditioners fit in the same 14" square roof openings as your existing vents.  Take out a vent and put a rooftop air conditioner in it's place.

Electrically it's a little more complicated.  RV air conditioners require a 20 amp circuit breaker, so you can't run 2 at the same time on 30 amp service.  Actually you can, if you have a synchronizing kit so the two compressors don't try to run at the same time, and you don't use much of anything else.

But an easier way is if you have a separate 20 amp socket in the park's electrical box, just run a separate feed from that to the second a/c.  Talk to your park first, though, and see if they have any objections before you do this.

Thanks for that tip, never heard of syncros for that purpose.  I was aware that roof mount units will fit that hatch but unless the hatch has a race or is pre wired for the unit there will be a stray cord running somewhere.  There is always a work around but in responding to the OP 50 amp service and 2 A/C;s are something I wish I had considered a priority in the decision process.

HTX

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom