Sierra spring runoff - dismal expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The Sierras have had very little snow this winter. What snow has fallen has a low water content. So, unless they get some prolonged heavy (and wet) snow in the next few months, there won't be much runoff this coming spring.

We drove over to Carson City, NV via I-80 and Reno a few days ago. Although temperatures were in the teens in places, there was no sign of snow. One of the ski resorts has reportedly spent $millions making their own snow, and currently have a (man-made) snow base of 19"-27". Last season Mother Nature gave them approx 60 feet of snow.

I don't know what the impact will be on our mountain streams and rivers, especially the ones fed directly by snow melt vs the ones reliant on water releases from our lakes and reservoirs. Fly fishing in the Sierras may take on a new meaning in 2012.

Here's the dismal first snow survey report for 2012 on the CA DWR web site. The statewide snow data is tabulated for easy reading here and tells an equally dismal story.

We need another March miracle like we had back in the late 80's or early 90's.
Margi

Utah has the same problem as we had the lowest December precipitation on record.  Fortunately we had  very good precip over the last two years and the experts say we can ride out a dry year. Our future weather shows three days of rain the week of the 23rd of Jan. and  it usually comes from California.>>>Dan

Aye you're right Margi. BTW aren't you glad I showed you and Tom how to cast a fly on grass  ;D

Dan, I saw similar reports from back east on the TV news recently.

Unfortunately, we were attending a funeral in Carson City this week. But, while gathered at the graveside, the pastor made a comment that it was so unusual to have a day like that at this time of year; Bright sunshine, not a breeze, and nobody wearing an overcoat.

Hi Dan,

We went over Donner Pass at 7,056 ft with no sign of snow.

En route we stopped for gas at Verdi, NV at 4905 feet. I tried to wash the windshield, but the squeegies were sitting in a bucket of ice.

Driving down I-5 today I was listening to Fresno radio.  They've already implemented odd and even day outdoor watering based on your address.  Some of the orchards along I-5 also have new shoots coming out of the denuded trees.

This summer is not going to be fun unless we get lots of precipitation late in this season.

On the other hand, the weather has been just gorgeous these last three weeks while I've been at the Railway Museum in Fairfield.  ;)

Aye Lou, we've been in shirtsleeves in The Delta.

Tom said:
Aye you're right Margi. BTW aren't you glad I showed you and Tom how to cast a fly on grass  ;D
Yes, indeed!  We have snow down to the Umpqua basin floor predicted for Saturday thru Monday.  Maybe we still have a chance to catch up?  Hope so.  The ski areas are in dire straits right now.
Margi

Dryer than heck here too. Our ski resorts are doing well with American snow junkies but the conditions are not the best. If things don't pick up in the next 6 weeks it's going to be a dry summer.

Back
Top Bottom