Which coach to get a side radiator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagonmaster2

I currently have a 2004 Meridian (rear radiator and will never have another one) and beginning to think about upgrading.  Which models of Winnebagos have a side radiator?  Trying to read specifications on the web site, they don't always mention radiator position.

Allen

Allen, the last model year Winnebago made a side radiator coach was 2006 I think.  A side radiator is highly desirable, so if you are going to upgrade, that would be the way to go.  If you want to stick with Winnebago and pre-owned is okay, The Ultimate Advantage, Ultimate Freedom deserve a close look and the 2005/6 Vectra/Horizons.

Trying to read specifications on the web site, they don't always mention radiator position.

Allen
[/quote]

That's because they do not want to bring attention to the fact that they are rear radiators, remember why they put then in the rear,  CHEAPER!

A side radiator is definitely on my very short list but don't think I could go for a previously owned coach.  I tried to find a used one for my first two RVs but wasted so much time and energy  trying to find a 2-3 year old one even close to as clean as our 8 year old one is now.  Always thought Winnebago, Newmar, and Tiffin would probably be on my next list but guess that lets Winny out.  Think I've read that Newmar's 37' Dutch Star is a side radiator, don't know yet about Tiffins.  My current coach is a 36' two slide DP and is all the coach I'd ever need, but definitely hate having to contend with the rear radiator.  Took me all afternoon one day just to change thermostats and serpentine belt.  And estimates so far to replace the notorious fan bearing on the Cat engine before it goes South is running from $1,000-$2,000, which is a job I certainly can't attempt myself.  And I'm sure a lot of other things should be replaced at the same time on that end of the engine running the cost even higher.  I know it would be a lot cheaper to do all that than to trade MHs but finding a reliable shop that would do a reasonable job for a decent price without damage to or dirting  the coach is the biggest obstacle for me.

Allen

All coaches built on a Spartan chassis have IFS and side radiator. Most Freightliner chassis are rear radiator with side radiator on upgraded models.

I was curious so i browsed the brochure archive on the Winnebago website.  The Vectra/Horizon models use side radiators up to and including 2007 on the Evolution chassis.  In 2008 they began using the Maxum chassis with a rear radiator.  The Tour/Ellipse in 2006 shows the Evolution chassis with side radiator, but 2007 shows the Evolution chassis with a rear radiator.

Thanks Kent for the definitive answer about model years with a side radiator.

Allen, if you want new, take a close look at the Allegro Bus - it has a side radiator and a good reputation and following. 

I was extremely disappointed when Winnebago dropped the side radiator and then dropped the Vectra/Horizon and moved the Tour/Ellipse up to the Vectra/Horizon price point.  The Vectra/Horizon was a great coach and very price-competitive in its class.

Just have a quick question.  We have the same coach you have, and we have recently been advised by our local Cat service rep that we may want to have the front of the radiator cleaned (side facing the engine).  We bought it used in 2010 with 23K miles, and we have not had it off paved roads (except a few campgrounds) since.  It currently has 28K miles.  Does this seem to be a reasonable recommendation (cost estimate was $600+)? 

Yes, probably a great idea to get the radiator steam cleaned.  If you can manage the trip, get your service done in Gaffney, SC at Freightliner Factory Service.  Join FMCA, then join the Freightliner Chassis Owner's Club and you get a discount.  Gaffney service is excellent and they are very reasonably priced.

I've watched them steam clean radiators before and they are very thorough.  BTW, Freightliner told me don't bother spending the money on steam cleaning a side radiator (one more benefit of a side radiator.)

Seems quite expensive to me. I have a side radiator that I clean regularly with Aviation Simple Green and the job only takes about one hour from start to finish. A rear radiator would use the same procedure as the side to clean so I would recommend that you do it yourself, very easy to do.
Dusty roads are not the problem with keeping the radiator clean, it is the engine vent tube (slobber tube) that causes a fine mist of oil to coat the radiator and reduce the cooling capacity of the fins. I would also encourage you to use the Aviation type of Simple Green to clean the radiator and not the standard type as the Aviation grade has been tested not to cause corrosion on the aluminum fins of your radiator. Some may disagree with me but, having worked in the aviation industry, I have seen what standard Simple Green can do to aluminum.

Hope this helps.
Pete

JPete said:
... Dusty roads are not the problem with keeping the radiator clean, it is the engine vent tube (slobber tube) that causes a fine mist of oil to coat the radiator and reduce the cooling capacity of the fins. ...

Exactly and some Cats are bad about oil slobber.  Pete - I also do the Simple Green cleaning of my side radiator three or so times a year (and also the basement air fins), but I think that wouldn't be nearly as effective as a professional steam clean for a rear radiator.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

JPete said:
Seems quite expensive to me. I have a side radiator that I clean regularly with Aviation Simple Green and the job only takes about one hour from start to finish. A rear radiator would use the same procedure as the side to clean so I would recommend that you do it yourself, very easy to do.

The major difference in cleaning side and rear radiators are the charge air cooler and third radiator. With a rear radiator setup, they are stacked one in front of the other, which makes it very hard to access all 3 to clean them. With the side radiator, they are separated and accessible.

Thank you for your timely responses and great information!  Sounds like a steam cleaning is in order to me as I'm not sure we would be able to clean adequately ourselves.  This info leads me to ask one more question though.  Last year, on our way to NC, we were driving US 221 just south of Linville Falls.  This is 7% grade, very twisting segment for about 4 mi.  We had disconnected our toad, but the engine was warm.  About 2 mi into this section the engine ran hot and the check engine came on (unfortunately there is no pull-off along here), so no choice but to continue.  I was ahead of my husband in our toad and looked up in the rear view to see a big bellow of black smoke come out of the exhaust, but I was unaware he was running hot.  Once we reached Linville Falls, we turned onto 183, which is a much better grade and road than continuing on 221, and the engine cooled immediately.  At that time, we did not know about monitoring the RPMs or manually down-shifting (thought the auto would take care of that).  Do you think this could have been caused by a dirty radiator, as we have not had a problem like this before along this route?  It has not ran hot since, but we have not pulled a grade like this either. 

mcalpnddc said:
Just have a quick question.  We have the same coach you have, and we have recently been advised by our local Cat service rep that we may want to have the front of the radiator cleaned (side facing the engine).  We bought it used in 2010 with 23K miles, and we have not had it off paved roads (except a few campgrounds) since.  It currently has 28K miles.  Does this seem to be a reasonable recommendation (cost estimate was $600+)?
My DP with a rear radiator started overheating going up slight inclines. The answer turned out to be a clogged radiator. It seems some tube that has oil fumes coming out of it get sucked into the radiator and eventually clogs it up. I paid a dealership $250 to steam clean it and it worked perfectly after that. The RV was 3 years old at that point. So I would vote for getting it steam cleaned, just find someone who is cheaper. It only takes them an hour.

Thanks for the info.  Since this is all new to us, we weren't quite sure what a reasonable cost should be, $250 seems much more reasonable.  BTW, checked out some of your pics at your webpage, they are great!

Back
Top Bottom