EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Looking for an American Made Car that can be towed 4 down?  (Read 18108 times)

dave in NC

• ---
Re: Looking for an American Made Car that can be towed 4 down?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
I've been towing my 2012 MKZ hybrid wheels down for two years, and have no issues now that I understand where to have the key position, and the sequence for setting it up to tow.

To tow, you put the car in park, then ignition completely on, shift to neutral, and back the key up all the way till it stops.  This will be in the accessory position, and where you want to be for towing. 

Intuitively, you want to bacck the key all the way off, then move it up a notch.  In that position, all systems are on, and it drains the battery power within a couple hours.  IT took me a year to figure out why my battery wore down so quickly.  So, backing the key all the way off, you can't remove the key while in neutral, so you're actually in the accessory position, so the wheels aren't locked.  I've towed for days in this position, and have no trouble with the little lightweight battery that you need to start systems.  manufacturer says you can to up to 70mph this way, wheels down.
2002 Allegro Bus 40TP
NC Realtor
Retired US Army
Vietnam Vet

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
American made cars are getting harder to find and often have foriegn names like Nissan or Honda.

JEEP, WIth MANUAL transfer cases.. Nearly all of them can be towed 4 down

Some other cars (I think a 2002 Neon for example) can be.

If not sure here is what to do.

Go to www.remcotowing.com/store  (you can leave off the /store if you like)

This will bring up an interactive web page

Fill in the lines, starting at the tip.. Year, Make Model, Trim, Engine,  tranny and so on and the frame to the right will tell you what you need to do.

I need a lube pump. on a 2001 Neon.

But I had good news today, THe "Major" issue with the car was a bad sensor. 100 to fix.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
the OP is from Jan 2012, I bet they have found a car by now.  Regards, Dick
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984
2006 Winnebago Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Member WIT - Washoe Winnies

Kenneth

• ---
  • 2008 MONACO CAMELOT 42DSQ
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
The new 2014 Jeep Cherokee is coming out with a version designed to be 4down ready,
They go on sale in august ,some are on the Jeep lots now. Supposed to get 30+ on the hwy .
Kenneth H, from League City TX, currently in Lakeland Florida !!

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
In the used car category you might look at the 2004 thru 2006 Acura MDX.  Besides being able to tow it 4 wheels down it has electric 4-wheel lockers so you can go off road with it but only on easy 4-wheel trails because of clearance.  It has the ability of locking all four wheels when you're going 18 MPH of less.  Works great for snow too.  Sorry it's not American made!

JerryF
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:35:01 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

4ducksrus

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »
the OP is from Jan 2012, I bet they have found a car by now.  Regards, Dick

Yep Dick, you're correct.  We purchased a new Jeep Rubicon 4 door last November! ;D
Jim & Mikie

2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
2013 Jeep Rubicon
2003 HD Ultra Classic
WIT WI54011

Scott-0168

• ---
  • Married
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 08:02:59 AM »
  Thanks for Buying American! From a retired US auto worker!

Scott  :)
Home State- Michigan
Winter home-Arcadia, Florida
Motor Home-2003 Pace Arrow 37A
USN-Vietnam Vet.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 08:21:15 AM »
One of the things I noticed on my "New" used Dodge Neon is the first digit of the V.I.N.

IT is a ONE..

From my knowledge of these things I know that ONE means the final assembly was in the USA.  (4 and 5 also mean that, 2 is Canada, 3 is a Taco-mobile and letters are overseas,, Different letters different countries, Most are logical)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

randyf

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
I saw the Ford Fusion recomended in one of the post.  Be careful with that.  I selected a 2012 Fusion for a company vehicle because owners manual and Ford customer service said it could be towed on all four as long as Ford lowered the transmission fluid to proper level before towing.  I did this and made it less than 200 miles before it went up in smoke.  Ford then said they made a mistake and had not done a good job of researching it.  But would not refund me the cost of the tow equipment I had put on the car.  It so happened that I had just purchased a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for my wife and the frame is the same so tow equipment could transfer easily.  The Lincoln Hybrid is the best tow I have ever had.  Just hook up, put in neutral and go.  No fuses or anything to fuss over. 
Randy & Lynne
2006 Allegro Bus
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Hosted by Over The Network