Looking for an American Made Car that can be towed 4 down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know exactly what is different in the transmission that makes some towable with out messing with the transfer case and some not?  Just curious....LOL

It has to do with lubricating the transmission gears.  Automatic transmissions are lubricated via a pump on the engine shaft.  If the engine isn't turning, the gears and bearings don't get any oil.

Remco used to sell an electric driven pump to get around this problem but I think it's discontinued - probably because it's installation was too complicated.

Putting the transfer case in neutral disconnects the transmission from the driveline, so the transmission doesn't turn as the car is towed down the road.  But this doesn't work if your transfer case is pushbutton activated instead of having a lever that can be placed in neutral.

Manual transmissions are lubricated by the gears splashing oil around as they turn.  But not all manual transmissions are towable without a disconnect - if they use the the gears on the engine shaft instead of the output shaft to sling the oil around there won't be any lubrication unless the engine is running.

But this doesn't work if your transfer case is pushbutton activated instead of having a lever that can be placed in neutral.

Not universally true.  Our GMC 2007 Canyon has a pushbutton transfer case and can be put into neutral for towing.

Which just goes to show there are no easy answers to the question!  But, Lou, you put your answer into something easily understood for which I thank you.  ::)

ArdraF

Lou Schneider said:
It has to do with lubricating the transmission gears.  Automatic transmissions are lubricated via a pump on the engine shaft.  If the engine isn't turning, the gears and bearings don't get any oil.

Remco used to sell an electric driven pump to get around this problem but I think it's discontinued - probably because it's installation was too complicated.
Remco is still very much in business and still selling transmission lube pumps, Lou. The installation on most vehicles is not terribly complex, and in most cases just involves installing one or two port adapters and a drain plug adapter, followed by routing hoses from each adapter back to the pump via a pressure switch block. Running the control wiring up to the dash of the motorhome is sometimes the hardest part of the job.

Just remember that warranties are no longer in effect for the transmission from the car manufacturer, if you tow it. Remco will give you 10,000 miles or 1 year from the date of installation if you have less than 4,000 miles on your vehicle. Cost is about $1000 for the hardware and 6 hours of labor. You still have the cost of transmission fluid, other incidentals and the tax.

I towed my new 2011 Chevy Cruze about 350 miles when it self destructed. GM and I are still working on getting a resolution for the problem. Final settlement is expected before the end of the month ;D.

Look at www.remcotowing.com to see what pumps are available. Drew at Remco seems like a great person.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne and Dutch - it's good to know Remco is still selling lube pumps.

I hadn't kept up with what's available because I haven't need to - my 1993 Nissan Sentra tows just fine 4 down as-is.  And the Bronco II I took to Moab last year was the same way.

judway said:
Just remember that warranties are no longer in effect for the transmission from the car manufacturer, if you tow it. Remco will give you 10,000 miles or 1 year from the date of installation if you have less than 4,000 miles on your vehicle. Cost is about $1000 for the hardware and 6 hours of labor. You still have the cost of transmission fluid, other incidentals and the tax.

I towed my new 2011 Chevy Cruze about 350 miles when it self destructed. GM and I are still working on getting a resolution for the problem. Final settlement is expected before the end of the month ;D.

Look at www.remcotowing.com to see what pumps are available. Drew at Remco seems like a great person.

Wayne

If it says that it is towable 4 wheels down than how can it cancel out the warranty?  I've been reading all of the manuals from the cars we're considering and right now we're looking at CR-V and EDGE and both say in their manuals that they can be towed 4 down.  I can't imagine that if the tranny went out that they would not cover it.  Sounds like a lawsuit to me....JMO

4ducksrus said:
If it says that it is towable 4 wheels down than how can it cancel out the warranty?  I've been reading all of the manuals from the cars we're considering and right now we're looking at CR-V and EDGE and both say in their manuals that they can be towed 4 down.  I can't imagine that if the tranny went out that they would not cover it.  Sounds like a lawsuit to me....JMO

The warranty would be voided if the vehicle is towed using a lube pump for the transmission.  If it's towable 4 down as is, then there is no problem.  It's only when the vehicle is modified, and the modification causes a failure that the manufacturer could void the warranty.

Sorry! I left out an important sentence at the beginning of my post. My post was meant to only apply to cars which were NOT towable all four wheels down. Ned's post clarified it. Thanks Ned!

I've been towing my 2012 MKZ hybrid wheels down for two years, and have no issues now that I understand where to have the key position, and the sequence for setting it up to tow.

To tow, you put the car in park, then ignition completely on, shift to neutral, and back the key up all the way till it stops.  This will be in the accessory position, and where you want to be for towing. 

Intuitively, you want to bacck the key all the way off, then move it up a notch.  In that position, all systems are on, and it drains the battery power within a couple hours.  IT took me a year to figure out why my battery wore down so quickly.  So, backing the key all the way off, you can't remove the key while in neutral, so you're actually in the accessory position, so the wheels aren't locked.  I've towed for days in this position, and have no trouble with the little lightweight battery that you need to start systems.  manufacturer says you can to up to 70mph this way, wheels down.

American made cars are getting harder to find and often have foriegn names like Nissan or Honda.

JEEP, WIth MANUAL transfer cases.. Nearly all of them can be towed 4 down

Some other cars (I think a 2002 Neon for example) can be.

If not sure here is what to do.

Go to www.remcotowing.com/store  (you can leave off the /store if you like)

This will bring up an interactive web page

Fill in the lines, starting at the tip.. Year, Make Model, Trim, Engine,  tranny and so on and the frame to the right will tell you what you need to do.

I need a lube pump. on a 2001 Neon.

But I had good news today, THe "Major" issue with the car was a bad sensor. 100 to fix.

The new 2014 Jeep Cherokee is coming out with a version designed to be 4down ready,
They go on sale in august ,some are on the Jeep lots now. Supposed to get 30+ on the hwy .

In the used car category you might look at the 2004 thru 2006 Acura MDX.  Besides being able to tow it 4 wheels down it has electric 4-wheel lockers so you can go off road with it but only on easy 4-wheel trails because of clearance.  It has the ability of locking all four wheels when you're going 18 MPH of less.  Works great for snow too.  Sorry it's not American made!

JerryF

nvrver said:
the OP is from Jan 2012, I bet they have found a car by now.  Regards, Dick

Yep Dick, you're correct.  We purchased a new Jeep Rubicon 4 door last November! ;D

One of the things I noticed on my "New" used Dodge Neon is the first digit of the V.I.N.

IT is a ONE..

From my knowledge of these things I know that ONE means the final assembly was in the USA.  (4 and 5 also mean that, 2 is Canada, 3 is a Taco-mobile and letters are overseas,, Different letters different countries, Most are logical)

I saw the Ford Fusion recomended in one of the post.  Be careful with that.  I selected a 2012 Fusion for a company vehicle because owners manual and Ford customer service said it could be towed on all four as long as Ford lowered the transmission fluid to proper level before towing.  I did this and made it less than 200 miles before it went up in smoke.  Ford then said they made a mistake and had not done a good job of researching it.  But would not refund me the cost of the tow equipment I had put on the car.  It so happened that I had just purchased a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for my wife and the frame is the same so tow equipment could transfer easily.  The Lincoln Hybrid is the best tow I have ever had.  Just hook up, put in neutral and go.  No fuses or anything to fuss over. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom