Leveling B Class Vans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

Not sure about this topic and why I am asking. I know that some of the larger motor homes have jacks to level their MH when pulling into camping spots. Is this something that Class B Vans do? I know you don't want to park on an incline where you might end up in the corner of the van but how do B Class Vans go about this and do people buy leveling jacks for their B Classes? Since I am in the looking to buy mode, I don't have experience in this. Any help appreciated in advance. Best!

CamperAL

I lived in class Bs for years. I bought two RV levels from Walmart ($5.95) and mounted one above the dash and one above the drivers door. The dash one is left to right and the door one is front to back. I rarely had a problem finding a spot that was level when I was camping. Actually I never really tried to get perfectly level. I found that I like to sleep with my head slightly uphill so I would usually park so my head would be on the uphill side. This makes it easier to park because no campsite is perfectly level or the water wouldn't drain. I am currently in a class  A and I use the same levels.

I use 2x12  boards cut to length to make sure all tires are full on the board.  I have a set for the front and a set for the duallies.  Jacks take up too much space in a B. I have a Sprinter and read somewhere that MBZ may or will not warranty any damage done by using jacks.  And, I've been to sites where the camp host has a supply of boards to borrow.  You can buy a set of 8 plastic at rv stores.  They dig into sand, though.  The boards don't.

We carry three home made wood ramps.  They are made out of 2"x10"'s and are about 30" long and at the highest point 4.5".  We also have installed side to side and fore-aft bubble levels.  Can live with side to side up to 1 degree out of level....lived with 1.5 degrees when we have to.  Fore and aft 1 degree high at the head end of the bed.  Have gone to 2 degrees when we have to or to tired to want to spend time getting it closer.

camperAL said:
Greetings,

Not sure about this topic and why I am asking. I know that some of the larger motor homes have jacks to level their MH when pulling into camping spots. Is this something that Class B Vans do? I know you don't want to park on an incline where you might end up in the corner of the van but how do B Class Vans go about this and do people buy leveling jacks for their B Classes? Since I am in the looking to buy mode, I don't have experience in this. Any help appreciated in advance. Best!

CamperAL

Hey CamperAl ... The levelling jacks you are referring to are available for CLASS C RV using the Mercedes Sprinter chassis and cost around $2500 - $3500. Unfortunately they are not easily installed on the CLASS B motorhome. I have checked with several manufactures. HMH Corporation. Here is a link to the PDF brochure for the Sprinter levelling jacks. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml45576.pdf

They told me that they are too difficult to install on the Class B because of space constraints. I even checked with Winnebago because I have the ERA and although they referred me to HWH ... no positive results so far.

I also checked with BIGFOOT Levellers by Quadra Manufacturing. When I checked with them they indicated that they didn't have anything for the CLASS B as well. However I just checked their web site and they seem to have something there for the CLASS B Sprinter now. Apparently added in November 2011.  I am sending them another email now. Here is the link to their Class B levellers: http://www.quadraleveler.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_23&zenid=ae764b378d3dc9b3445710346c2c5ed4

Now ... having said that ... so far I have not had the need to have levelling jacks. Granted I have only taken a few trips and parked mostly in flat asphalt parking lots.  I am leaving on a three month trip in the spring and will be boondocking most of the time. That will tell the tale.

The levellers that seilerbird is referring to a just bubble levels. Not the jacks.

Others have mentioned homemade wooden ramps to use instead of levelling jacks. I have a picture of a set that was recommended to me when I had my trailer and I may look at this as an alternative if I find I don't want to spend the $3000 for jacks ... if I bother at all. Again time will tell.

Hope this helps.

Karsty

Attachments

•  Levelling jacks.jpg
    Levelling jacks.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 40
I have a bag of leveling blocks like these. 
www.amazon.com  Camco 44505 RV Leveling Blocks - Pack of 10
I think I got mine at Wal-Mart, don?t need them very often, but nice to have along if needed. 
Regards, Dick

I just received a reply from Quadra Manufacturing regarding the leveling jacks for the Class B Sprinter chassis.

Is there anyone out there that has in fact had leveling jacks installed on their Class B Sprinter. Would love to here from you about your experience.

Below is the reply from two different persons.

Karsten,

Yes, we offer a leveling system for your Sprinter chassis.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Warren C Palmer
Director of Sales
Quadra Manufacturing, Inc
(800) 752-9815
[email protected]
www.quadraleveler.com

Installation would take about 5 hours and cost is $3460 for the auto
and $2140 for the manual wireless.  both installation would cost
$600.00
800-752-9815
269-483-9634
269-483-9636 vex

Greetings all,

After seeing the price of leveling jacks for the class B's, I think I would opt for the leveling blocks. You can justify the little extra work based on the cost, especially for a smaller B class van.

CamperAL

camperAL said:
Greetings,

CamperAL

I would guess you have a refer in your Class B. If so that would be the main reason to level you B. So do most B owners level? well like I just brought up they probably should be if they have refers, other than that it would just be personal preference to life in side your home.
Edit: Fixed quote.

ironrat said:
I would guess you have a refer in your Class B. If so that would be the main reason to level you B. So do most B owners level? well like I just brought up they probably should be if they have refers, other than that it would just be personal preference to life in side your home.
Edit: Fixed quote.

My understanding ... although very limited since I am so new to this RVing thing ... is that if the refrigerator is running on propane then it needs to be level within certain tolerances. Apparently something about overheating, blah, blah, blah. According to my dealer ... the dealer that I have very little faith in ... it is no so critical when running on 12V or 120V power.

That being said ... I have not used levelling blocks of any kind so far. Quite frankly there is very little room in the Mercedes/Sprinter chassis to carry much extra unless I get some kind of cargo box/carrier for the hitch. I am planning my first long trip for later this spring and will see how everything works out. I figure to be gone for 2-3 months and put somewhere around 8000 km on the vehicle. Most of my nights will be boondocking ... or at least that is the plan at this stage.

If I was planning to camp for longer periods of time at one location then I could maybe see the need for levelling jacks or blocks ... but I will be doing a lot of travelling and virtual no camping per say.

The leveling requirements for the refrigerator are the same regardless of the power source.  Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ned said:
The leveling requirements for the refrigerator are the same regardless of the power source.  Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ned ... I've known that since the first day when I picked up my ERA. (About my dealer not knowing what they are talking about).

Thanks for the info ...

Karsty

I am coming into this thread late. As to fridges needing to be level - if you have a three way power source fridge - propane/12v/120v you must level the van and the fridge to at least level enough to be comfortable walling around inside. If you have an DC/AC compressor fridge, you do not need to level.

Leveling blocks are the easiest way to go. We have never needed more than two at one time. I would say if we were boondocking we may need more. They take up just a square foot of space, and if you find you don't need all of them when you travel you can just take what you anticipate needing.

Leveling jacks on any B - Sprinter or not, is going to cause ground clearance problems. The jacks will take away the little clearance that you now have underneath.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom