rearmain seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97Winn

I think I need to have my rear main seal replaced. I bought it used with 52,000 miles on it last summer. I only took one trip. leaking massive oil. Seems kind of low miles to need a rear main seal replaced. Is this common, any thoughts/

Make sure there is not something else causing the leak. I thought I had a bad rear seal once because my engine was leaking massive amounts of oil.  Turned out to be a cracked diaphragm in the oil pressure gauge sendign unit.  Crawl under there and see if you can pinpoint where the leak is.  You might luck out.

First thing you need to do is confirm where it is leaking from. Could be the rear main or it could be the oil pan, rear rocker covers, block plug, etc, etc. Get a dye kit from a parts store and verify the leak.
Don?t know what year your 454 is but if it is a rear main they used 2 piece seals until the 90?s then a one piece. One needs the pan pulled, the other needs the trans pulled. If you do have to replace there are many things you need to follow specifically such as cleaning and install methods or you will learn on your 2nd or 3rd try. If the seal area is damaged you can get a special extended seal from the parts store to put the sealing area in another position. If the rear is bad I would also check PCV or whatever your engine is using to vent the crankcase. Usually the front main goes first is this case but again, you need to clean everything and verify exactly what is leaking. I?m going from memory on this but there is plenty of info on replacing seals etc. depending on what you find. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Look on the top back of the motor to make sure it is not the oil Pressure sending unit leaking down. Had that happen couple of times.

When I was in the business, we found that most "rear main seal " leaks disappeared when the valve cover gaskets were replaced,.  Just a thought . . . . . ........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom