Chicago Boat & RV Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

I made the 3 hr drive to Chicago yesterday for the Chicago Boat & RV Show and, quite frankly, was very disappointed.  I would estimate that 90% of the RVs that dealers had on display were TTs, 5th wheels or toy haulers.  Another 7% were class B & C.  Of the handful of class As, there were a couple of small (28-31 ft) As, and a couple of large (40ft) DPs, but literally no gas 34-36 ft class A motorhomes.  I found that very surprising, as that seems to me to be a huge part of the class A market (and the segment of the market I am most interested in).  There were also no displays from ancillary vendors other than RV dealers, i.e., campgrounds, camping products, etc.

I was under the impression that this was the "premier" RV show in Chicago.  Was I mistaken?  Is there a bigger/better show to attend?  BTW, nothing against trailers, it's just not where my interest lies and I assumed the show would be more diverse.

Chicago and Illinois are very depressed, and the national Class A market apparently is so dead that few A's are being built on spec.

Nationally, too, the job and economic outlooks are very weak and uncertain. People who might sell their homes to by A's for full timing can't find buyers. And with housing prices still declining and looking bearish for another two to five years, smart people either are holding on to what they have or buying distressed real estate instead of RVs.

Marketers don't waste money on advertising, sales or shows when there are few buyers as there seem to be today.

What action there is seems to be in low-priced A's, some C's and a few B's.

I don't have a feel for the used markets---heck, I"m not really sure about the new. But prices seem inflated to make discounts look attractive.

We're toying with buying a B+-C, but DW just bought a Closet Factory job and is about to do a bath remodel, which pretty much eats up our toy funds for the next year or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom