How to find actual cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aMarie

Hi,
I thought we were all ready for the final walk through tomorrow...!  Our new RV has a washer and dryer that we don't want, also the tv's in the upper and lower bunk beds. The Dealer said he would deduct the costs, but how do I find the actual cost (retail)? It's a 2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G.  I tired going on one of the "build your own RV" sites but when going through it didn't show the cost for those.  I don't want to walk in there without having an idea of the costs, or better yet a print out from an online site. 

I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks!  ;D

aMarie

Personally I would leave the washer and dryer in the RV. Even if you don't use it it will be a big plus when you go to sell the RV.

seilerbird said:
Personally I would leave the washer and dryer in the RV. Even if you don't use it it will be a big plus when you go to sell the RV.

Of course if they remove the appliance(s),  they'll have more storage, but for many potential resale customers you're correct -- a bit of value increase.

I thought about the fact that they would loose storage, but a40 foot DP with two people should have more than enough storage room. I would also worry about the way the cabinet would be finished off once the WD was removed. If they don't do a really nice job that matches the existing cabinets it could really look ugly.

And on top of that it is actually very handy to have a WD in your motorhome. It beats the heck out of laundromats.

Leave the washer in.  You will kick yourself a dozen times when you have to run to a laundry outside to do a small load of wash.  One of the best investments i ever made.  A small load every other day and we never have a pile of dirty clothes.

What Donn said - especially if you are full timing or anywhere near. We cannot imagine being without ours, although we do have to take large items like bed spreads to the laundromat (ours is a Splendide and not a conventional stick home unit).

I would suggest that you get the make/model of the W/D and bunk TV's and look them up via search engine to see if you could find out what they sell for after market instead of via RV.

I have to still ditto what everyone else said about keeping the W/D knowing that wasn't your question but I presume since you are getting a bunk model there are kids involved which quadruples the reason for keeping the W/D. JMO

Those items were standard equipment, so not sure what "cost' means in this case. Did you special order the coach with those items deleted?  If so, the cost of not having them, i.e. building non-standard cabinetry in their place deducts from what would otherwise be savings.  The "cost" is whatever Fleetwood says it is and may bear little relation to the retail cost of the washer or tvs. A call to Fleetwood might get you a price quote on a "delete" option for those two items.

Or if you bought the coach off the dealer lot and he had to manually delete them, the "cost" is the retail value of the items, possibly minus whatever he spent to do the removal if he also made nicely finished walls or storage in place of the removed items.

You can find retail price of a washer at many RV outlets - it is probably a Splendide 2100XC. Of course, the dealer's cost on those would be considerable less than retail.

I am coming out on the side of deleting the w/d set-up. We found that we didn't regret it a bit when our Georgetown came only with the rough-in.

The W/D would have been behind cabinetry identical to the wardrobes in the master bedroom and it was a no brainer to say yes when we found the previous owners had made the same choice as us. Add hooks and a clothing rod and our prayers were answered.

Of course our situation is a bit different because we need both winter/summer clothes as we try to fulltime and escape the dreaded 120 day rule of the US. And we have to have all our worldly possessions(downsized as they may be) in out mh.

Add up the need for space, reduce the weight somewhat and I think you will find the w/d will not be missed. Not to mention the multi washer,dryer set up at a laundromat makes laundry easy to do.

How do you value getting so much humidity away from your mh, and not have to carry all that water in the clean water tank/grey tank.

Now, if you are only week-enders, or if your preferences are different than ours, maybe you want the w/d.

But don't count on your next buyer wanting them!

The bottom bunk area is going to be customized a bit to hold dog crates while traveling. The height of the travel crates make the lower bunk TV an accident waiting to happen; it'll get smashed and banged up.

As for the washer/dryer, it's in a finished closet in the bedroom. I'd rather go to a laundry mat than have it. Besides, haha, I've measured every inch of space in the RV and a cat litter box would fit perfectly in the washer/dryer closet! It has to be in a place where the dog can't reach it, she loves her cat litter "crunches" and will do just about anything to get to the litter box.  So, it might even be a good idea to keep the washer/dryer, take it out and store it in the garage?

aMarie

If I pulled it out, I would sell it immediately and put the money towards something useful. It can only lose value in storage, so no point in keeping it.  As long as the hook-ups are there, a new owner can buy a brand new one and install if he wishes.

I've been agonizing about this decision! I started thinking about how much laundry I do at home on a daily basis for two people, a lot! If we don't keep it I agree with selling it asap.
We're so excited!!  Have the video camera ready to film the whole walk through. 

Thanks for all your suggestions!

aMarie

We travel with a cat, so understand the tradeoff with the  litter box!  And we used laundromats while RVing for  about 10 years, till we finally got a rig big enough to reasonably house a washer/dryer and still meet our other needs. Never thought using a laundromat was a big deal, though it did take some time out of our schedule. Now the wife LOVES the washer and would not want to be without.

Pull those things out and there USED, the value goes down. To your dealer it's extra labor and the value is offset by the cost to remove them. When you resell the new buyer will ask where they are. If you don't need the space just leave them in and use them once in a while to keep them working. I can't imagine the TV's matter one way or the other. If the Dealer offers you a bunch of money for removing them than you left it on the table during the deal.

seilerbird said:
I thought about the fact that they would loose storage, but a40 foot DP with two people should have more than enough storage room. I would also worry about the way the cabinet would be finished off once the WD was removed. If they don't do a really nice job that matches the existing cabinets it could really look ugly.

And on top of that it is actually very handy to have a WD in your motorhome. It beats the heck out of laundromats.

Good points, Tom -- I was thinking of our Bounder, where our linen closet is the space where a washer/dryer would go. A DP, especially at 40'+, is a different story.

aMarie said:
I've been agonizing about this decision! I started thinking about how much laundry I do at home on a daily basis for two people, a lot!
Living in a motorhome is different than living at home. I don't do anywhere near as much laundry when I am living in a motorhome. I made the decision to keep the laundry to a minimum. One thing I did was get rid of everything white. That way I don't have to separate my clothes into whites and colored, everything is colored. I wear my pants and shorts for two days instead of one.

Walk through was not quite ready, converting the bottom bunk to accommodate the dog crates took a little more work - so that we could easily put the bottom bunk back in someday. We're keeping the washer/dryer, don't know why, we just are. We're going back on Tuesday and bringing the crates, then doing the walk through on Thursday morning early. If all goes well we plan to go straight to a camp ground, 10 miles from our house,  while all the information is still fresh in our minds. Might as well jump in!

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!!

We're so excited!

Congrats! I am excited for you.  BTW, I use a covered litter box for my two kitties. No smell at all. And the dog couldn't get in unless he was a tiny thing. It has a sifter so emptying the litter box every morning is a snap.

Oh thanks so much, we're wildly excited!! 

I'll get a covered litter box and try it. One of the dogs is over 100 lbs and the thought of her with her head stuck in the litter box opening isn't a fun one! She's very well trained so I'm going to move the current litter box where she can get to it and start reinforcing the "Leave it" command if she even looks at it.  Better to train than complain!

aMarie

If your dog stuck his head inside the litter box door he would have trouble removing his head since the flap would be pushed in and it would trap his head inside. I think he would only do that once. I love my covered literbox. I scoop it every morning and replace all 25 pounds of litter once every two weeks and completely clean it. There is a huge variety and styles of covered litter boxes available so you should be able to find one that blends into your motorhome well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Acovered+litter+box%2Ci%3Apets&keywords=covered+litter+box&ie=UTF8&qid=1326985604

I got the second one listed, it was $15 at Walmart.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom