Gas mileage on a small Class C vs a 5th wheel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busylady

My husband and I have a 33' 5th wheel.  His health is not great and I'm not comfortable driving a 50' rig around the country. Actually, driving isn't the problem, but backing up is.  Does anyone have an opinion of what gas mileage a small Class C motorhome, about 25 feet, would get?  We get about 7.5 mpg on the pickup and 5th wheel.
Thanks for the help!

You should be able to get around 7.5 mpg on most any gas Class C or even many gas Class A's. Diesel's will be even better. My 36 foot gas Class A turns in 7.3 mpg under 90% of all road conditions and the extremes are still in the range of 7.0- 8.0.  I think you would find a 30-32 foot Class A quite easy to drive and roomier than a similar length Class C, with more storage as well.

However, with any motorhome you will probably want to tow a car, which is still going to put you into a 35-45 foot overall length. Of course, you unhook the car before backing into a camp site.

busylady said:
My husband and I have a 33' 5th wheel.? His health is not great and I'm not comfortable driving a 50' rig around the country. Actually, driving isn't the problem, but backing up is.? Does anyone have an opinion of what gas mileage a small Class C motorhome, about 25 feet, would get?? We get about 7.5 mpg on the pickup and 5th wheel.
Thanks for the help!

My wife as well as several other ladies in the framily do most of the driving.  In my case Sam is very possesive of that drivers set in our 40 ft American Eagle.  She has no problem backing it into tight places or handleing the rig in any situation. 

Why not take a few test drives in the class A motorhomes as well as the class C motorhomes and see how you feel diving them. 

busylady said:
Does anyone have an opinion of what gas mileage a small Class C motorhome, about 25 feet, would get?  We get about 7.5 mpg on the pickup and 5th wheel.

My previous MH was a small Class C on a Ford 460 chassis.  My gas mileage was around 7.5. 

Phil

I also do most or all of the driving of our 38' motorhome and feel much more comfortable driving that than the 21' class C we rented many years ago in southern CA. ?However, that was a Chevy but later we bought a 28' class C on a Ford chassis and I was very comfortable driving that. ?On our 38' HR diesel motorhome we average almost 10 mpg and set the cruise between 58-60 mph.

>Actually, driving isn't the problem, but backing up is.<

There is an RV Driving School, www.rvschool.com, that a number of people here have used, especially to get comfortable backing up. They instruct you in your own rig.[g] Dick Reed and Jerry Ray are RV Forum framily.

Bob+

Back
Top Bottom