Brake job on a 1 ton G30, anyone do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

427v8

Has anyone been adventurous enough to do their own brake job on an RV ?

It looks pretty intimidating. I Work on cars easily, but this is a whole new ball game!

I've found that front discs are generally a snap, but everytime I've gotten into a drum brake job, I've ended up wishing I'd paid someone to do it    FWIW

I've got a Dodge 3500 4x4 with duals. Did the brakes last fall and found it just as easy as a car. Front has disks and the rear is drums. Just be sure you have heavy enough jack stands. Never trust a jack while the wheel is off and you're working on the brakes.

Chet18013

427V8, I am near 77 years old. We have a 1994 Challenger on a F-53 stripped chassis. About 2 years ago the brakes began to lock up. I proceeded to rework all four wheels, all have disc brakes. The cost of rebuilt calipers was approx $50.00 each. The rebuild kits were $8.00 each. At my speed and help from the wife, (bleeding the system), the job took about two days. We have taken several trips since then and no problems.

Just be sure and use the heavy duty jack stands as suggested earlier. Your experience with autos will be very helpful and you shouldn't have any problems.

Kieth,

I noticed in one of your previous posts that you were going to use DOT 5 brake fluid. As you probably know, DOT 5 is silicone based, and not compatible with Dot 3 or 4, and may harm some parts of the system. I would suggest you contact GM first. Here's a link to an article about it. Can't vouch for its' accuracy, but the author seems to know what he's talking about.
http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

Doh, I wasn't thinking, I ment Synthenetic dot 3/4 Valvoline make some good stuff.
I don't like silicone much except in certian um, upgrade applications yea...thats it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom