Fulltiming with Kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wa_mermayd

Hi All -

We've been living in our Minnie Winnie now for 4 months and all is going well.  Since move-in, we've been in Washington, Oregon, California and now Arizona.  We've made our son's room into a nice play area but I've noticed when I go to parks or anywhere he sees other kids, he stares at them like they are aliens from another planet - green skinned with antennae.  We go to the park or for a long walk every day.  When on the road, we go for walks, stop by a park or if nothing else is available a Micky Ds play area so I don't think he is starved for the company of other kids.  That being said, he isn't around kids every day.  Sometimes, there is no one at the park. 

Other fulltimers with little kids (Xander is 20months), how did you ensure your little ones were socialized?

I realize that every child is different and perhaps Xander is just naturally shy.  I'm ok with that - its the stare that concerns me.  The "What are THOSE" look that he gets.  LOL!

Thanks -
Paula

Children are so adaptable to so many environments and your son is so young that he is likely to learn the ropes rather quickly of life on the road.  Depending on how often you are moving, checking the local papers for public activities (libraries and recreation departments)for children is a great way to find things for him to do and to give him children to be around.  I have found that checking the chamber websites for many cities and towns useful as well for a variety of resources and links for more information.

It's been a long time since I had a almost two year old but I think that is pretty normal behavior for that age. They're still unsure of any strange person or situation plus their social skills are not developed enough to really interact with other kids.

Today at the park, he interacted really well with another almost two year old that he met before at this park.  They were waving at airplanes together, and playing in the sand.  They chattered together on the slide - it was cute.  Her dad and I made plans to meet again on Friday.

We did check out the local children's museum and I've looked at the various play sites to take him to when it gets oppressively hot, and I've looked at various meet-ups.  Right now, the rig is our only car so until we find something a bit more easily mobile, I've not actively participated.  I look forward to doing so soon!

I'm just getting a bit paranoid I think - not enough adult contact.  LOL!

Thank you all for your reassurances.  :)
Paula

Back
Top Bottom