My dumb question & crazy idea for the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craft99

I looked at an RV and it is in my price range and I love the floor plan --- it has a back bedroom with a queen size bed and a bathroom that I can turn around in.

The problem is this:  The RV was maintained by an older couple and 2 years ago the husband got sick.  It was rarely used or even touched after that.  Their nephew is responsible for selling it and he doesn't want to deal with it, so he's going to blow it out.

There is a leak in the roof.  He covered the entire roof with plastic and sealed it with tape -- the vehicle isn't being driven, just parked -- so all he did was prevent additional water from coming in.

It had rained the day I saw it and, as courtesy, I removed my muddy shoes when I entered the vehicle. 

It needs to be completely gutted.  The wood cabinets look warped and look like they are goign to come down.  The carpet was still damp and but visually it was pretty gross.

I going to tear out the carpet in any RV I get.  I'm also going to remove the couch and dinette in any RV I get, so it doesn't bother me that these are gross. 

The stove, fridge, microwave all work.  The vehicle runs.

The inside looks like it was hit with a bomb, but I don't mind that.  What I don't know is how serious is a water leak?  I think I can reseal the roof, but I don't know if the water that already got through could have done damage to something that is important.  Am I supposed to run away from vehicles with leaks or is it ok to move forward with this?

I have another question.  I know some class C units have bunk beds in them.  Ikea sells a platform bed that is 65" from the floor to the top of the mattress.  One of the platform beds has a desk beneath it and another just has empty space.  I'm sure all RVs are different, but about how high is the inside of an RV?

Also, I teach English and I know I have to get rid of my books, but I want to keep one bookcase.  How can I secure it to the wall?  I'm thinking of nailing a small piece of wood across the front to keep books in place, but how do I keep it from falling?

This is a crazy idea, but I'm entertaining it.  I want to get a really nice reclining chair.  I'm thinking about removing the front passenger seat and using some of that space for the chair.  If I remove the passenger chair and use about 4 or 5 inches of that space for recliner, then I would use the front space to build a box (giving me some storage space) and then I would create a safe place for my dog.  The box would be angled because of the heating vents and space on the side so I don't blow the speaker, and, even though I belt the dog in, I would probably want to cushion the front.  The back of the recliner would be the back of the dog's seat or I could attach a small back to the box.  Has anyone seen a vehicle with the front passenger seat removed?

I know people buy recliners and put them in their RVs.  How do I attach the recliner to the floor?

OK, those are my dumb questions and crazy ideas for the day.

Thanks again for the help   

About water damage..if you can feel wet in the carpet, run. If you can see damage on the ceiling, run. If the cabinets are soft and spongy, run. If you think it will be cheap you are wrong. unless the owner plans on giving it to you or you really like to completely rebuild things, run away. putting plastic on it was not the best idea. It would have trapped even more moisture inside the rig. I know you want to renovate the rig anyway, but unless he is willing to reflect that in the price, run.

I bought a 1974 Class C in 2008 and was told it had a leak that had been fixed. it looked pretty good for its age. I paid 3500 for it and by the time I was done I had over 7k in and then sold it for 2k just so it was not in my driveway so I could upgrade to a better MH.
the link to the thread with photo's of what we found once we opened up the walls.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=18576.msg175247#msg175247

I paid almost 7 for the rig I have now and expect to put that much into it again (at least) to bring it to what I want to have. the difference is I can USE this one while rebuilding or renovating. you may find as much or more damage inside the one you are looking at (which you did not say the year or size etc.)

I sure wouldn't pay much for a rig damaged that badly. You didn't mention a year, make or model, but "free" sounds close to the right price...

If you are a determined handyman, maybe you can make it work, but its not going to be cheap, even DIY. If not DIY, forget it.

Water damage: yes it can harm more than cabinets and upholstery. The subfloor is possibly soft or rotted, and likely the sidewall construction as well. Long term wetness leads to rot, and older Rvs probably have wood studs in the walls and ceiling. You might have to rebuild walls, ceiling and floors and there is no way to know the extent of the damage until you open them up to see. The fact that cabinets are disintegrating suggests they are particle board, which is common in less expensive Rvs. However, it suggests that similar inexpensive construction was used elsewhere, and that may be falling apart as well.

Fastening things to walls: There will be wood or metal uprights here and there, but not on predictable 16"-24" centers as in residential construction. It's a crap shoot as to whether there will be a wall stud where you need it to fasten something.

Ceiling Height: Typically anywhere from about 78" to 90" in a motorhome.

I think you can find a much better rig to remodel to your needs, even if the budge is very limited.  Even if this one is free or nearly free.

The whole problem with the RV you are looking at is not the damage you can see, it is the damage you cannot see. How much metal inside the walls are now rusted? How much wood inside the walls is now bloated and weakened by the water it absorbed? How are all the electrical devices inside that you can't see, like inside the breaker panel and converter box? You would be opening up a Pandora's Box you might never close again.

I carry a small selection of books on birds and music. I keep them in the overhead storage compartments. One compartment holds several dozen books.

The recliner doesn't need to be attached to the floor, it's not going to move unless you hit a wall at 60 mph. But remember if you buy one it will have to fit through the door.

And please quit apologizing for asking dumb questions. The entire reason this forum exists is to answer questions. And there are no dumb questions.

Once again, the information I'm getting here is amazing.  Direct and easily understood.

It is a 1996 Ford with 44k miles.

I orignally saw it at Christmas. He listed it for $3,000 and was willing to negotiate.  We talked about $1500 plus I'd give him my scooter (I bought it new in July for $2,300 but it never works).  He really wanted to get rid of it then. His neighbors are giving him a hard time about parking it.  He was determined to get rid of it before it snows.  I think I can get it for 1500 without the scooter, or maybe give him the scooter and 500

The fact that he was so motivated to sell but still has it does say something.  I took pictures of the vehicle and the I'm looking at them carefully right now and I can see mold in the bathroom, on the closed toilet lid and on the shower cord.  The back bedroom looks like it "survived" Katrina only to get ransacked by looters.

I saw his ad late last night and didn't contact him -- I'm employing the 24 hour rule which means I don't take any actions until I've spent at least 24 hours thinking about it.  Based on what you've said here, I'm going to think about it, but I think I will pass.

I attached a picture of the bedroom and one of the roof.  The bedroom looks much worse in the photo than it did in person.  I saw another RV yesterday that is listed for $3000 a 1986 Ford Honey.  It didn't have a bedroom, any storage underneath, the bathroom was the shower with a toilet in the corner.  It was way too small and everything was worn and tattered, but everything works.  If I didn't have germophobic tendencies, a good cleaning is all it really needs.

The photos are too large and can't be added.

About my books -- I have 8 large bookcases stuffed with books, paperbacks are doubled on the shelves, but I also have more than 2 dozen milk crates filled with books that don't fit.  I rotate them based on what I'm doing -- I'm taking education classes right now and I need access to education books, so I moved all of my books about writing screenplays to storage (until last year I was working on an MFA in screenwriting).  I'm going to limit myself to one smaller (width) bookcase.  Books and clothes are going to be the most difficult for me to part with, but I think its healthy.  Besides, how many pairs of black jeans does one woman need to own? 

I guess buying an RV that leaks is like buying a house knowing the foundation is faulty.  I'll keep looking. 

Thanks again

I have been shopping for a newer RV for the last few months and I think I have finally found one I want to buy. I am hoping to buy it right after the Quartzsite rally. It is located in Phoenix. I am currently living in an RV that would be perfect for you. 27 foot Tiffin Allegro class A. I have been living in it for the past two years and most everything works. I have spent a few grand in the last year fixing most of the problems. I just resealed the roof. I would let you have it for $2000 if you can find a way to get to Arizona next month. Send me a message if you want to know more. I would also spend as much time as necessary showing you how everything works and how to be an RVer.

Craft99,  I know you have already decided to skip the "good deal" motor home; but I just wanted to point out another issue with water damaged RVs.... mold.  You don't see it, but it can affect your health and it can be ramped in a water logged RV.

In your long range thinking regarding nailing a book case to the wall.  You may need to rethink the process.  For one thing, nails pull out and RV walls are very thin. Screws may pull out also unless you use something like a "molly".  Plus as you drive the books most likely will fall out.  And.....books are heavy.  They would probably ride better in the bottom bays in crates.

Marsha~

seilerbird said:
I have been shopping for a newer RV for the last few months and I think I have finally found one I want to buy. I am hoping to buy it right after the Quartzsite rally. It is located in Phoenix. I am currently living in an RV that would be perfect for you. 27 foot Tiffin Allegro class A. I have been living in it for the past two years and most everything works. I have spent a few grand in the last year fixing most of the problems. I just resealed the roof. I would let you have it for $2000 if you can find a way to get to Arizona next month. Send me a message if you want to know more. I would also spend as much time as necessary showing you how everything works and how to be an RVer.
Actually.... considering past posts of Craft... this seems like a pretty sensible idea.  If I'm not mistaken, you live in and drive this unit daily, don't think there is many deals around for a usable unit for $2k that often.  Still think she is heading into the RV world for all the wrong reasons and under 'duress'... However a $2k unit that is driven and lived in seems closer to reality than a rotted, mold infested junk-yard ready mess.

jje1960 said:
Actually.... considering past posts of Craft... this seems like a pretty sensible idea.  If I'm not mistaken, you live in and drive this unit daily, don't think there is many deals around for a usable unit for $2k that often.  Still think she is heading into the RV world for all the wrong reasons and under 'duress'... However a $2k unit that is driven and lived in seems closer to reality than a rotted, mold infested junk-yard ready mess.
I obviously agree. I am offering it too her cheap because I would rather sell it to a needy person on this forum than go through the process of selling it on Craigslist. Most all of the 85 Allegros on Craigslist are listed at $5k.

I know the books are going to present a problem, but attaching things to the walls and the floor is something I know I'm going to do.  I'm using the word "nail" but I'm using it generically.  I know that when the time comes, I'll use whatever I've been advised to use and go to an RV store to purchase it.  With the bookcase, I'm thinking about taking a piece of wood (maybe 1 inch high) and nailing across the front of the shelf about 3 inches from the bottom and that would keep the books in place. 

I have an old shih-tzu and his safety is my first concern.  I will get rid of every book I own before I risk a book case or anything else falling on him.  As far as putting holes in the walls, I'm going to be very careful.  I don't want to put any holes in at all and I'll keep looking for alternatives.   

I just incredibly excited.  I've dreamed about owning an RV for 10 years and I'm weeks away from that dream coming true.  I'm in fantasy land right now and I'm thinking about all of the possibilities.  I'm looking at catalogues and color wheels ... anticipation is the best part of new experiences and I'm loving every second of it.   

I think you might give Tom Seiler's offer very serious consideration.  He's being extremely generous, not only with his asking price, but in affording you a very experienced walk through and tutoring.  Even if it meant driving or flying to meet him, it would be well worth the time and money spent.  Just my opinion ....  :)

Margi

I haven't stopped thinking about his offfer since I saw it and I have already emailed him. 

Everyone who has responded to my posts on this board has been amazing.  As I've said before, this is an amazing community of people.  Tom's offer is even more special because he has experience with everything I want to do, from audio recording to photography.  His post in my original thread is one I returned to repeatedly and just yesterday mentioned some it while discussing an RV with my father.  Tom's vehicle is probably already set up with all of the things I need, and the idea that he's willing to show me how to work everything ... wow.  I'm still processing everything, but his offer to sell me his vehicle, but more so his offer to spend time with me, is ... I don't know the word for it ... but I'm just floored by it. 

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about anything. 

Craft99 said:
I know the books are going to present a problem, but attaching things to the walls and the floor is something I know I'm going to do.  I'm using the word "nail" but I'm using it generically.  I know that when the time comes, I'll use whatever I've been advised to use and go to an RV store to purchase it.  With the bookcase, I'm thinking about taking a piece of wood (maybe 1 inch high) and nailing across the front of the shelf about 3 inches from the bottom and that would keep the books in place. 

I have an old shih-tzu and his safety is my first concern.  I will get rid of every book I own before I risk a book case or anything else falling on him.  As far as putting holes in the walls, I'm going to be very careful.  I don't want to put any holes in at all and I'll keep looking for alternatives.   

I just incredibly excited.  I've dreamed about owning an RV for 10 years and I'm weeks away from that dream coming true.  I'm in fantasy land right now and I'm thinking about all of the possibilities.  I'm looking at catalogues and color wheels ... anticipation is the best part of new experiences and I'm loving every second of it. 
I must say, your post seems to focus in on .... well... other than... the most important of issues.  What are you going to do when you are on Interstate 95 with you 'new life'... and the RV breaks down?  You receive a $400 bill for towing, to some strange town, they inform you that the transmission or engine needs replacing or repairs, it's going to be 7 days to find the parts.... and the bill is going to be $2,700.00.  They have nothing to do with the local ordinance laws, you can't stay in your unit, it's in a lot near the repair facility and will need 100% deposit on the parts order due to the unit not under warranty.  They will provide you with local hotel numbers and taxi numbers though.  Point is, flat tire, broken spring, electrical problem, battery replacement... what are you going to do?  What is your plan?  "I'm in fantasy land right now and I'm thinking about all of the possibilities" sounds more like a 19yr old's 'I'm taking off to San Fran' than a major life's decision about moving over 1500mi to a new life, without a job and from what you have posted is very little resources.  Your a school teacher, so I would hope at the upper end of educated.. is this a situation you would advise a student to put themselves in?  Finding a rented room in Florida near your intended relocation area, with your budgeted reserves... seems so much more feasible than the RV adventure....  Sorry, how to nail or not nail a book case up in the RV... just seems much lower on the reality list.  Again (as stated in earlier post) this is not harsh... just... well reality.

jje1960 said:
I must say, your post seems to focus in on .... well... other than... the most important of issues.  What are you going to do when you are on Interstate 95 with you 'new life'... and the RV breaks down?  You receive a $400 bill for towing,
She will call Coachnet and they will come out and tow her for free.

to some strange town, they inform you that the transmission or engine needs replacing or repairs, it's going to be 7 days to find the parts.... and the bill is going to be $2,700.00. 

Abandon it and buy another RV. This unit has the 400 tranny which is very very dependable.
They have nothing to do with the local ordinance laws, you can't stay in your unit, it's in a lot near the repair facility and will need 100% deposit on the parts order due to the unit not under warranty.  They will provide you with local hotel numbers and taxi numbers though.  Point is, flat tire, broken spring, electrical problem, battery replacement... what are you going to do?  What is your plan?
With an attitude like that you should never even get out of bed in the morning. What are you going to do if a boulder falls on your head?
"I'm in fantasy land right now and I'm thinking about all of the possibilities" sounds more like a 19yr old's 'I'm taking off to San Fran' than a major life's decision about moving over 1500mi to a new life, without a job and from what you have posted is very little resources.  Your a school teacher, so I would hope at the upper end of educated.. is this a situation you would advise a student to put themselves in?  Finding a rented room in Florida near your intended relocation area, with your budgeted reserves... seems so much more feasible than the RV adventure....  Sorry, how to nail or not nail a book case up in the RV... just seems much lower on the reality list.  Again (as stated in earlier post) this is not harsh... just... well reality.
This is suppose to be the friendliest place on the Internet for RVers. Your post is full of hatred and insults. Do you really think she hasn't thought of these things? Do you really think she is thinking like a 19 year old? And by the way, Lorrie is an English teacher. Your post is full of grammatical and spelling errors. You really need to take one of her classes.

And it is extremely harsh and it is not reality. None of those things have ever happened to me in 9 years on the road, the last two in THIS RV.

You are right sellerbird, I am wrong, nothing further for this post.  I will not subject anyone to further "grammatical and spelling errors".  Have a great week, good luck with the sale of your RV.  My last post on this or other threads for Craft99 is only a quote from other post.... "Hey All Im new to this here been getting alot of good INFO here for awile, My wife great idea a year and a half ago that we should get a RV and she found one that was cheap 1983 Holiday rambler imperial so we went to look at it not knowing the ins and outs and the price was right so she got it it did have some issiues from the get go like a blowen head so need less to say we never got to drive it so we had it towed home for only 800 bucks. once home we were able to get a better look at things and the list is never ending but I am learning alot about it. But still so much to learn is the fixing a never eneding cycle? moter is back together a year and a half later. Did all the work! to save money and the distrust I have for shops screwing us. I was suprised on how easy it was to drive and handles great for such a big rig any way the heads were just the start of the honey do list. one shock busted off the frame hole in the floor from the shock, furnece needs cleaning no blue flame, breaks went out in my drive way thak goodness.So Im worried about the long hauls should I have my tools packed at all times? I keep saying whats next and its a trust issue I have with the RV. So any input on what I should be looking for to make this thing a safe and fun RV would be Great."...... "Hi welcome to rving. We are first timers as well. We just bought a new to us 97 adventurer with 52000 miles. We attempted three times to go on a trip. First attempt starter went out. had to cxl trip. Second attempt  we had a great time but on the way back could smell oil burning.  On the  third attempt we discovered a massive oil leak possible rear main seal. We put the RV back in storage. It seems rv's will demand lots of attention from your pocket book.  Wish we had of known that before. Our mechanic said when you buy an older rv be prepared to sink a lot of money into it."

People, really, all of you.  What did you spend on your sticks and bricks?  What did it cost to maintain it?  How were you able to change it?  How long did any of it last?

IMHO, what is different about owning an RV?  Summer homes that are used occasionally cost money too.  What is different?  If you are willing/able to live in a piece of crap and truly competent enough to make it better, okay.  MOST people are not.  We can all adapt and make minor changes, but few of us are good enough to resurrect the dead.

Buy the BEST you can find and make the best of it.  Do NOT settle for the first cheap thing that comes along and think you can save money, because you can't know what's under the skin.

I think the offer you received here is a good one for your money because the person making the offer has a reputation and a presence to uphold and other knowledgeable people to vouch for him.

I too have started out with a certain number of pipe dreams about being a fulltimer.  Most of them won't happen the way I dream, if they happen at all.  BUT I have the RV, and I'm making changes, and moving forward into a new life.  Women process ideas differently and what starts as fantastical imagining can become a wonderful and functional plan.

So keep thinking crazy things and talking about them here.  The guys will shoot you down (most of them gently ;D) and tell you about reality and you'll figure out a way to compromise or even make it better.  In other words, don't let 'em scare ya!

Susan

I just received a PM from another forum member who seems to be overly concerned that I am really screwing Craft99 by selling her my 1985 Tiffin Allegro for $2000. Almost every thing works on it, it has never been in a wreck, it is in nice shape and I am including a walk though, driving lessons, dump station lessons, propane and gas filling lessons and photography lessons.

Currently most 1985 Allegros are listed around $5000:

http://www.allofcraigs.com/2009/08/search-all-of-craigslist.html?cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3Ao8xsd8d7h7s&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=1985+allegro&as_qdr=a&safe=active&sa=Search

Here is the text of this very angry message he sent me:

"Wow.... you are pretty hostile and angry, plain n' simple.  I hope you have a great year, enjoy life.  I also hope you are genuinely trying to help Craft99 make a wise decision.  Taking advantage of someone that does not understanding what they are getting into just to achieve personal gain... would be just immoral.  I'd offer you would be better served on reflection... prior to instructing others to "Learn some manners..."  Please don't respond, just stay in that anger-bubble you seem so comfortable in."

Does anyone else think I am "taking advantage of someone that just does not understand what they are getting into?

seilerbird said:
Does anyone else think I am "taking advantage of someone that just does not understand what they are getting into?

I think it was an exceptionally generous offer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom