Camp Freightliner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomnnva

I heard about "Camp Freightliner" from the Freightliner people at the Tampa show, held in Gaffney, SC.  Its a 2 day course about 8-9 hours per day.  I was wondering if anyone had attended this course and would it be worth while to attend?  I am not an engineer and have no intention of ever working on the engine or even changing the oil, so if this the kind of course that would benefit a guy like me??

I would say "yes" if you are within a reasonable drive.  I drove from Michigan (2 days each way) and it was worth the drive.

Like you, I'll do basic "house" maint but won't ever be a diesel mechanic.  However, what the class really teaches you is the info you need to be an owner and talk intelligently to the mechanics who are working on your RV.  You learn the basics of what the various systems are and what they do, how they can break and what to look for when they do.  And many tips-and-tricks that are not covered in your normal owners manuals.

There is a ton of info covered in the class but the take-aways are even more valuable as future reference.  When I attended you received a thick binder with all the presentations as well as a CD with materials specific to your chassis/engine/transmission.

Finally, the instructor, Mike, is terrific and you get an opportunity to meet with other owners.

Highly recommended.

You will learn a lot about your chassis and engine that is useful to know, even if you don't do the work yourself. You still need to talk with mechanics about maintenance and repairs - unless you are willing to be completely at their mercy! 

Camp Freightliner may be a bit of overkill for your needs, though. You might get enough practical information by attending a seminar where they give the Freightliner "Know Your Chassis" presentation. It is given at larger RV rallies and is also available for download at
http://freightlinerchassis.com/documents/KnowingYourChassisv2-20100324124504000000.pdf
or as a slideshow at
http://www.mydrv.net/Maintenance_Seminar/know_your_chassis.htm

If you choose the Camp Freightliner sessions, you can camp at the factory service center lot (electric only) or a nearby campground (nicer) and your wife can spend the day at the nearby outlet mall.

I attended Camp Freightfreightliner several years ago and it's value is in Mike's detailed systems
layouts  and troubleshooting discussions for the individual models.

The course has saved us several trips to a service facility simply by being able to figure out what was going on.

I have attended twice.  Once in Gaffney and once in Oregon.  Mike Cody is a fantastic instructor.  One of the best I have ever experienced and I have 3 years post Master's level college.  Even if you never plan to pick up a tool on your motorhome, you will learn how not to be taken advantage of by service people and get the most for you money. 

Glad to hear their is shopping near by for my dear wife, she had originally planned to attend with me, but when she found out the class was 2 days, 8-9 hours each day, she decided that was too much information. Thanks for all the positive feed back.

I learned a lot from mike..including open the fuel cap and release any pressure before changing a fuel filter...ha ha not an issue on a diesel powered BOAT! Stops the fuel baths! 

Camp is held at the factory service center, so it's great to schedule your maintenance at the same time.  Schedule way ahead, they can be busy during Camp times.  Have fun, you won't regret it!

In my case with  my first diesel RV, it is the best $150 that I have spent. Discussions can go deeper than needed but are enlightening. Not only is Mike Cody an outstanding instructor, you will leave with tremendous reference documention (likely worth the cost of admission alone) and the knowledge of where and how to get more info on Chassis issues if you want or need it. Overall, your confidence in discussion of chassis issues will be greatly enhanced.

Bob

We purchased a 2007 Safari Simba (FRED) last year and since this is our first time with a motor home, Camp Freightliner sounds like just the spot for us!  Especially since they offer a 2 day session for FREDs (front engine diesels) only in July.  Thanks for all of the info on this subject.

Get all your service needs taken care of while there as well. The factory service center at Gafney is a terrific place - very professional, top quality work and reasonable prices. Freightline Chassis Owner Club  members even get a 5% discount.

Where would I find out the dates and times of this camp?  I'm interested in the one in Oregon too, is this one also listed?  My DH and I both share the workings of the MH.  He basically does the outside hook-ups and stuff...and I do everything else.  We also share the driving.  I noticed that you gents say...send the women to the mall, is there anything that I might find beneficial at the camp considering I hate to shop?  Is the $150 per person?  TIA...Mikie

Gary RV Roamer said:
Get all your service needs taken care of while there as well. The factory service center at Gafney is a terrific place - very professional, top quality work and reasonable prices. Freightline Chassis Owner Club  members even get a 5% discount.

Gary:

Agree wholeheartedly. Also IIRC the FCOC labor rate is $85 ($90 less 5%). It is $115 in PHX at Freighliner Tolleson.

In the info from Freight Liner, the charge is $175 per person, but only $225.00 for a couple.  In addition, they provide lunch on both days and a cook-out for dinner on day 1.  That's a win-win right there!
No shopping for this wife...Since we share in understanding the workings of our MH, I plan on attending and learning all I can.  It sounds like fun! 
Signing up was easy... just completed and sent the online form at the bottom of their info page and within a day we had email confirmation. 

I am attending March 19-20, my wife will be shopping, but is invited to the dinner.  Anyone going to attend the classes at the same time?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom