"repainting" Vendura countertops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rankjo

Hi, I clumsily hit my Vendura countertop with a cast iron frying pan, and got a big starcrack in it from the sink to the counter edge. I left the crack in place to remind me not to be so clumsy. But now it has shifted a bit, perhaps a mm in height.

I came across all sorts of counter repainting sites on the internet, from concrete and various other formulations that are painted on.

A second crack has appeared spontaneously on the other side of the sink, so I would have to make V-cuts and epoxy the cracks first, I think, to stabilized them.

But then I wonder what would be the best to paint on over the top. Something easy to do first-time, easier the better, and I'm not trying to match the colour.
And yes I know I can buy a new one from Winnebage. $850, and this might be a nice little project.

Rankjo

Normally when laminate counter tops are painted, one should sand off the polymer layer on top so that the paint product can adhere to the base material. Since Vendura is cast as a solid polymer, you can't do that, and I wouldn't think that paint would last for very long on that type of surface. I agree with Gary that the best option would be a repair kit, or you could locate a solid surface counter top installer in your area that could repair it for you. Ventura is definitely repairable.

So I searched the net and found posts by people who had done repairs. It seems straightforward. You drill holes with a 1/16 drill bit every 1/8 of an inch or so through the countertop, avoiding drilling right through the laminate, since the resin would otherwise drip through.

Then you tape off the crack, not so easy in my case since it is a starcrack and a bit zig zag. The idea is to make a dam round the crack so that you can fill the resin to sit a bit high, for subsequent sanding down.

Then you make up the resin and pour it on. When it's set you sand it down and then buff it with mild abrasives. People who have done it seem to find it satisfactory, though perhaps not quite as good as new. The expression "not very noticeable" seems to apply.

But if you just leave un-repaired, it gathers dirt and becomes more noticeable with time. To correct that I've put bleach on the starcrack, and it made quite a difference.

I note that someone paid $65 for a repair kit. I went to the Vendura company itself, and their kit costs about $35 plus shipping, $39 total.  I'll report on my success (or lack of it) when it's done.

Rankjo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom