Possible alternative??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cant Wait

DW and I are planning on buying a 5th wheel once she retires, and fulltiming for a year and if all goes well keep on going. One point she mentioned was that if we decided not to continue, she didn't like the idea of having over $120.000 invested in a new unit and TV. I'm thinking that a
3-4 year old 5th wheel and 3-4 year old TV is the way to go for the first year or two. Then if we like the life style and decide to continue, upgrade to a new unit and TV. It's not an issue of money, but more of a financial responsibility issue.  Has anyone gone this route, and what are your thoughts?

sounds like a good way to go. nothing like experience to show you what you like. I do have to ask, whats wrong with fulltiming in the trailer you have?

I know we don't full time but would think that for 2 people 26 feet maybe enough room. well at least for a year.
Our current rig is 26 feet and better then the last 22 footer. we don't have a lot of storage space (no basement in this one) but then again in my opinion it ain't about having it all with you its about seeing all you can.

1275gtsport said:
I know we don't full time but would think that for 2 people 26 feet maybe enough room. well at least for a year.
I have been full timing it in a 27 footer for the last two years with two cats. It is too small for me so I am about to upgrade to a 32 footer. There is virtually no storage space and that gets annoying after a while.

Cant Wait said:
DW and I are planning on buying a 5th wheel once she retires, and fulltiming for a year and if all goes well keep on going. One point she mentioned was that if we decided not to continue, she didn't like the idea of having over $120.000 invested in a new unit and TV. I'm thinking that a
3-4 year old 5th wheel and 3-4 year old TV is the way to go for the first year or two. Then if we like the life style and decide to continue, upgrade to a new unit and TV. It's not an issue of money, but more of a financial responsibility issue.  Has anyone gone this route, and what are your thoughts?
While I can't see us actually ever being considered "full time", we are planning on having a 'home base' and moving around in our 5Ver and TV for a number of months throughout the year.  When we can't feel comfortable due to health or other reasons, just 'go home'....  I can't wait to see this country of ours.... RVing is special and a great way of life if you are prepared and resourced properly.

A couple of things come to mind from the previous posts, financial responsibility and space.

Tom's right, there's a point at which any size is too small, but storage for full timers is very crucial. And when there's more than one adult and little critters, the space is exhausted quickly - think four days of rain.

Financial responsibility revolves around taking a whipping on depreciation of a new unit when you are not fully committed to the concept of living full time in your rig.

Our experience in RV'ing was one night in a Winnebago, then spent right at the century mark for a four year old 38' diesel pusher motorhome. We left 16 months ago as full timers and have never looked back.

Everyone will have an opinion and you are wise to hear how others have done it. There is not one perfect way and the way you pick may even change over time.

We are very pleased with our decision, there are days when 380' would be too small, but the opportunities we have had to travel and meet new friends far outweighs the few negatives we have discovered.

Enjoy your search, be agreed on our approach, and cast off! I don't think you will regret the experience!

Buying used is a wise decision in the RV market, especially since you are not committed to more than a year or so of use. It would be foolish to buy all new and take the terrible depreciation beating.  There are usually many excellent used RVs available - people upgrade to different models, or people get out of RVing for reasons of health, finance, or some other change in their life situation.  Late model used trucks to tow a 5W may be a bit hard to find, though.

You can do it for far less than $120,000.  I have a 2002 Big Sky Montana that I paid $22,000 for and a 06 Chevy Duramax 2500HD  at
$30,000.  Look around-take your time and you can do it with wasting alot of money.  I think I could get my money back if I wanted to sell.

family of 5 with young kids and pets living f/t in 25' TT right now. haven't killed each other and are fairly comfy.  we now know what we like and need, and we are looking for something bigger.  if you have a home base, f/t storage needs would be minimal

I strongly recommend going out for longer trips in what you have, then upgrade when you Know what you Need!

I'll certainly second the Used vote, for two reasons. As noted above, Depreciation is a large cost, particularly when you consider that a new motor home is likely to have just as many nagging problems as one several years old (or perhaps more likely).

The second, and perhaps more important consideration is that you really don't know what you want/need until you've lived in a motor home for a while. Floor plan and equipage is more important than it seems and very few people don't buy at least a second one fairly soon.

Ernie

How would a 120$ investment go to waste?
Even if you were to stop full time camping you would still have the TV and the TT.

AverageBOB said:
How would a 120$ investment go to waste?
Even if you were to stop full time camping you would still have the TV and the TT.

Because now his $120K "investment" is worth $70K.  So he just lost $50K.  Now you have to count in how much fun you have and how much than fun is worth.

bigpemby said:
Because now his $120K "investment" is worth $70K.  So he just lost $50K.  Now you have to count in how much fun you have and how much than fun is worth.

Oh I was confused, I thought he was referring to a TV upgrade. Wow sorry hah...
In my defense he/she did use a period '.' not a comma ','.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom