Weird computer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

Ok Ned, let's see if you can figure out this one. I have always bragged that I have never gotten a virus and I never will. Maybe I was wrong.

I bought a new netbook last weekend for $200. I took it home and installed my Verizon Manager and then downloaded Chrome. I did absolutely nothing else in the way of adding programs or files. I always do this with a new computer, run it like it comes from the factory for a few days to see how it works "stock".

A few days later I saw an ad for an RV I am interested in buying on Craiglslist. There was only four photos in the ad and the RV is 300 miles away so I emailed the owner with some questions and asked for more photo. He responded the next day and emailed me a link from his friends computer. He said his computer was giving him problems. The link was to Microsoft Sky Drive and it most definitely was a Microsoft site, I have rechecked the link.

So I clicked on the Download All button and about 30 files were zipped up and transferred to my computer. Now this guy is trying to sell me a computer so I don't think he is in any hurry to give me a virus and the file comes from Microsoft. Add to that this is a new computer and I am not too worried about it since I am still deciding if I am going to keep it.

So I unzip the files and look at the photos. The next morning I turn on my computer and all I get is a black screen. I do a system restore and it works again. At first I did not put the zip file and black screen together, I just though maybe I was handling the little netbook too rough and caused a problem with the hard disk.

Now, a few days later I wanted to look at the images so I unzipped the files again. This time I clicked on an image and got an error message, would not display images. So the next time I turn on the computer I get a black screen.

I restore the computer and immediately go online to VirusTotal, an online virus checker. It runs the 24 meg file through 43 anti-virus programs and not one tiny little problem pops up.

So what is up with that? Anyone want me to send them the zip file so they can explore it?

Send me the zip file and I'll look at it, in a virtual machine.  Since the problem was reproducible, I would certainly suspect some kind of malware amongst the files.

I'd suggest for future use you download the PAID version of Malwarebytes. It's saved my bacon numerous times.

FLYBOY said:
I'd suggest for future use you download the PAID version of Malwarebytes. It's saved my bacon numerous times.

I have never gotten a virus or any malware in 30 years of computing, the last 25 online. I spend at least a few hours online every day. I have never ran anti-virus or anti-malware on my computers and I never will. I feel they cause more problems than they cure.

seilerbird said:
I have never gotten a virus or any malware in 30 years of computing, the last 25 online. I spend at least a few hours online every day. I have never ran anti-virus or anti-malware on my computers and I never will. I feel they cause more problems than they cure.

I never have had pneumonia either but did take the shot..nor have I had many other maladies that have plagued, no pun intended, our society in my life time and when offered took the appropriate action.. Yes my health and that of my 'puter are vastly different in value..but I believe your path is not the path for me to follow..I do wish you well on yours.. :) :) :)

I have never suggested anyone follow my lead.

And I have never gotten a flu shot either, and I have never gotten the flu. Hell, I don't even get colds.

What kind of netbook did you get? The Acer Aspire Ones are notorious for Black screens of death (as well as other failures; don't ask how I know). If it is an Acer, try to get your money back and get another brand (I've had good luck with Asus). If you can't get a refund, then invoke the warranty.

You say it is a netbook?  From what I have seen most of the netbooks are very limited.  I would suspect that the files overloaded the poor thing and it basically crashed.  I would take it back and invest in a full sized laptop or a tablet.

Lady Fitzgerald said:
What kind of netbook did you get? The Acer Aspire Ones are notorious for Black screens of death (as well as other failures; don't ask how I know). If it is an Acer, try to get your money back and get another brand (I've had good luck with Asus). If you can't get a refund, then invoke the warranty.
I got an Acer Aspire One D257-13608. I did a search on Amazon for Netbooks and ranked them by average customer review score. The top three are all Acer. The one I got gets great reviews everywhere I look and never did I read once about a black screen problem. I got it at Walmart a week ago so I still have a week left to decide if I want to keep it. If not Walmart will refund every penny. I really don't think it is a the fault of the netbook. Ned has the file and he is going to dissect tomorrow.

donn said:
You say it is a netbook?  From what I have seen most of the netbooks are very limited.  I would suspect that the files overloaded the poor thing and it basically crashed.  I would take it back and invest in a full sized laptop or a tablet.
No it didn't just basically crash. The problem occurred when I turn it on before even one file is loaded. I am going to keep using this netbook for the immediate future. I love the thing. It is so much easier to use for email than the 18.4 inch 10 pound behemoth I had before this one. I sold it and bought a netbook and made a $900 profit to apply to the motorhome I will be buying next month. This thing is basically worthless for editing photos so after I get my new motorhome up and running I will be investing is a regular 17" laptop for photo and music editing.

I think it will work better for me to have both a laptop and a netbook. Smart phones and tablets don't appeal to me, but this netbook is way beyond cool. I think that in a few months I will sell this one and buy one of the ones Verizon offers with built in 4G. The one I want is $600 but it has much better specs than this one. The main problem with editing photos is that this is a 32 bit machine. The $600 one is 64 bit. Then I will put an SSD into it. I basically bought this one to get my feet wet in the netbook world and now I am ready for a swim.

Something like that happened with my Eee Netbook after closing the lid before it was fully shut down.  Ended up taking it to the jerk squad to check it out.  Cost me about $39 but got it up and running.  I don't remember all the details so I won't be of much help. 

No chance your black screen is related to your fn keys?  I have found that those keys can switch the function of the key board.  Can't tell you how many times I have to read the little book let to find out how to get it back to normal.

Terier said:
Something like that happened with my Eee Netbook after closing the lid before it was fully shut down.  Ended up taking it to the jerk squad to check it out.  Cost me about $39 but got it up and running.  I don't remember all the details so I won't be of much help. 

No chance your black screen is related to your fn keys?  I have found that those keys can switch the function of the key board.  Can't tell you how many times I have to read the little book let to find out how to get it back to normal.

Getting it back to working condition is easy after the black screen. When I got the black screen I unplug the computer and remove and reinstall the battery. Then when I restart it I get the "Windows did not start properly..." screen. There are two options, start normally or run diagnostics. If I choose start normally it goes to the black screen again. If I choose diagnostics I simply let it use the last restore point. Then it starts right up.

I check my email at least every hour. That means I turn my computer on at least a dozen times a day. I have had the computer for a week. That means I have turned the computer on at least 100 times. Twice I unzipped the file and both times the computer would not start the next time I started it. I don't think the problem is with the computer or a fn key. I rarely use fn keys.

Do you shut down the netbook every time or just suspend it?

I've had a few occasions on some of the older laptops I have where waking up from a suspended state didn't go right and I had the same black screen/recovery routine as you. I can't say those instances were repeatable like yours, but they were similar.

Maybe that little netbook needs time between the closing of the photos (assuming the photo files were large) and either shutting down or being put into standby?

Is it plugged in? 

Sorry, my old IT Director coming out. 

We tried a netbook for Jolene for awhile, ended up returning it too. 

Just get a Mac.

seilerbird said:

Google Craigslist malware and see how many hits you get. I have never had a burglar in my house, but I keep the doors locked anyway. 

1joester2 said:
Do you shut down the netbook every time or just suspend it?

I've had a few occasions on some of the older laptops I have where waking up from a suspended state didn't go right and I had the same black screen/recovery routine as you. I can't say those instances were repeatable like yours, but they were similar.

Maybe that little netbook needs time between the closing of the photos (assuming the photo files were large) and either shutting down or being put into standby?
I never put my computer to sleep, I always it down. You are right, they don't always wake up properly. The second time I unzipped the file I never opened a photo. I tried to but it gave me an error message. I did not shut the computer down right after that.

PancakeBill said:
Is it plugged in? 

Sorry, my old IT Director coming out. 

We tried a netbook for Jolene for awhile, ended up returning it too. 

Just get a Mac.
Yep it is plugged in. Me getting a Mac isn't going to happen. One of the applications that I use the most (Adobe Audition) is not available for Mac and there is nothing in the Apple world that compares. I am also turned off by the "I have an Apple so therefore I am superior to you" attitude of so many Apple users. It is just a computer for gosh sakes, it is not a friggin' religion. I started with Windows 2.1 in 1987 and I have used every major OS since. I have used many Macs and there just isn't a comparison. Windows is faster, cheaper and there are millions more programs available. If you use a Mac and are happy with it then I am happy for you. They make wonderful computers. Just not for me. Different courses for different horses.

FLYBOY said:
Google Craigslist malware and see how many hits you get. I have never had a burglar in my house, but I keep the doors locked anyway.
What does Craigslist malware have to do with anything?

I have had a burglar in my house and I keep the doors locked.

There are two ways to keep virii and malware off your computer, anti-virus works most of the time. My way of following strict security procedure works 100% of the time. So I go the route that is more reliable.

FrankNichols said:
Gets the popcorn and soda, puts feet up on desk and sits back to enjoy the show...
I hope I didn't let you down. ;D

Back
Top Bottom