c class over cab damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jomac

I was wondering why they have thin wood paneling between the outside skin and the framing on the front of my over the cab bed area?

I don't know about your cabover, but luan plywood was used as part of the "sandwich" on the roofs of many RVs.

OK, on a serious note, Filon by itself is not very tough.  It is typically only about 1/16" - 3/32" thick.  Back it with a thin layer of plywood (the Filon and plywood are glued together) it gets a lot tougher and becomes much more difficult to punch a hole in it - unless you have an argument with a roof overhang or good sized tree limb.

I've had to pull some plywood out because framing was rotten. I should be able to bond some pylwood in before I scab in some framing. Is it feesable to replace half the stationary bed. I have dry rot on about 1/8 to a 1/4 of it. So I thought I'd replace half, peg it in the center and attach it to the metal frame on the side.

I highly recommend you not attempt a half-vast repair.  Check out my website.  After looking at the pages in this link, go to my blog (link at the top).  You'll see that even though I thought I did it right, it came back to bite me in the butt.  If you have the damage you described, I would bet dollars to doughnuts you're only getting started.  However, if you're handy and have the time, it came actually be a fun project.

Thank You! I've seen your web site. My damage is not that extensive. I have all the inside paneling off. Nothing is wet and we have had alot of rain. I've built house and work as a tool maker and fabricator for small aerospace Co. I have some ideas for some stronger and lighter materials. We'll see how it goes.

Jomac

Would like to hear back about these stronger and lighter materials if they prove worthy. I will be doing some similar repairs in the future as well. Mine was caused by bad roof so it might be up to the level of Molaker I HOPE not but its great to know there are EXPERTS ready to lend ADVICE.

I think that is exactly why the  thin plywood on both sides. Light weight and extra strength of construction and Luan is light weight and has more resistance to rot than other plywoods.

I will let everyone know if my material work well. They would probably not be available to the average person.  If so, would be very costly.

Back
Top Bottom