Spare Tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jedi99

Hi There,

First post, I am thinking of puting a light weight camper on an F150 with a 6.5 box and was wondering if anyone knew of a kit to mount the spare wheel/tire assy. on the front of the vehicle.  I thought this might reduce some of the weight on the rear axle and move it to the front axle.

Thanks in advance!

I really doubt that 40lbs of spare tire will help much. Thats like not putting as much gas in the tank to save on weight. Get some load adjusting shocks or some torklift stable load deals. http://www.torklift.com/s.php?w_page=stableload
http://www.monroe.com/products/Sensa-Trac/Load-Adjusting-Shock-Absorbers

I've used the front mount Reese hitch w/a tire carrier that fits the receiver..as a bonus it made parking trailers a cinch when using the front hitch..

Thanks Icemaker,

I think elliminating any weight over the rear axle would help, spare tire and tailgate, might let me keep it legal with a light weight camper.  I'll have a look at your suggestion.

Front tire mount is going to block the radiator and the transmission cooler if you have one. Adding a heavy load and restricting the cooling system is something you may want to reconsider.

elkhornsun said:
Front tire mount is going to block the radiator and the transmission cooler if you have one. Adding a heavy load and restricting the cooling system is something you may want to reconsider.

When installed my tire was a few inches in front of the bumper so there seemed to be enough air flow as it never got overheated. I have to admit I never noticed or thought to notice a temperature increase related to the front spare. I don't have one on my '95 f-150, yet, and miss the ease of spotting my trailer in my, less than perfect, drive & yard. This discussion has reminded me how much I miss it.

I ran a F-350 for years with a spare mounted on the front with a 11.5 foot slide in camper on the back. Never had a heating problem.

Even drove the Alcan pulling a 15' enclosed trailer. That was before I ever heard the term Gross Combined Vehicle Rating.

The things you do when you're young and stupid.  ??? :-[

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom