rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 2012 RVForum QZ Rally - Arrivals and rally activities  (Read 52603 times)

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: 2012 RVForum QZ Rally - Arrivals and rally activities
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
That Happy Hour picture is great. Glad they were able to relax after a day playing with rocks in the desert :)

Wendy

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

seilerbird

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
Mike and Dea - I am sorry I missed you four. I got here right about the time you were leaving.

I don't know how much you know about the train ride into the Grand Canyon, but it is way cool. If you don't know anything then I won't spoil the return trip for you, but make sure the grandkids don't fall asleep on the way home. It will be memorable. Have your camera ready when you get within 15 miles of Williams on the way back and get ready to photograph the GKs reactions.

If you have never been to the Grand Canyon and you want to get the most bang for your buck in your 3 1/2 hours there let me know. I live at the Grand Canyon for a month or two every year.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
I want Paul's chicken recipe !
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing those photos of your little grandies.  I LOVE the happy hour one.  Talk about zonked out!  They have their blankets and they're on Granddad's lap.  What more could they want?!?  What great memories you're making for them.

Glad you all got to join us, but too bad it was so short.  Maybe it can be longer next time.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
My thing with this rally has been taking names and getting folks here -- then Wendy and Betty take over, and make the rally what it is . . .

So I thought I would just post this one pic for now to thank them for what they do for us. I hope next year I can add Helaine to such a special image.

Will post more tomorrow . . .  :)
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

seilerbird

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
Nice photo Bob. I just can't figure out why they are smiling so broadly. You would think they were actually having fun.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for the wonderful photo of pal Wendy and myself.  Your kind words are appreciated but I must  confess that this was my year to take a sabbatical on Quartzsite activities so Wendy and "her crew"  take all the credit.  Her crew includes the infamous Lucy, my hero,   who at 71 years of age manages her huge beautiful 5th wheel all by herself.  Then she shops non stop all year to come up with perfect presents, prizes, theme decorations and  anything else fun.  She provided several personalized  prizes, awards tonight for newbies, best dressed  and  more.  Photos to follow I am sure!

Others on the crew include anyone who brought one of the  delicious  hors d' oeurves tonight  Hawaiian style. I told Terry to eat up as it was going to be dinner but he still required a grilled pork chop on my new Grill It.  Liza will be happy to know I set off the smoke alarm 3 times cooking this thin  pork chop. Wendy's crew also included anyone who dressed in Luau attire this afternoon.  Best dressed was a hands down Dave and Marilyn Brown with  the  grass skirts  get up.  I'm told his coconut bra slipped down a few  times but  women of the RVForum  assured him that anyone over 40 will experience that effect of gravity.  Chris  P. did ask that any of the  men wearing  grass skirts  kindly keep their legs together as it was providing images that would  give him  nightmares.  All complied.  This RVForum group has a knack at making laughter and smiles and  the thought of What a life!  We think this  theme was so much fun it is a do over, so plan on  an Island theme for next year too and bring your Hawaiian shirt.  Who woulda thought that  retirement would be so much fun.  Welcome newbies, you may never be the same!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:04:04 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »
The  three rigs that went on Dripping Springs 4 wheel drive event today concur that  Larry and Mary Ann N deserve a shout out for one of their first off road experiences in their Jeep !  It was a moderately  challenging run that Larry told me he really enjoyed while Mary Ann told me  she was not so sure about.  Proof of their enjoyment is that they have signed up to go on  the run in the morning.  Leaving at 9:30 am  sharp and heading toward the  Ridge. Bring chairs, lunch and a good attitude!  Terry will lead this one  as he had in the past. 

Betty

Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
The  three rigs that went on Dripping Springs 4 wheel drive event today concur that  Larry and Mary Ann N deserve a shout out for one of their first off road experiences in their Jeep !  It was a moderately  challenging run that Larry told me he really enjoyed while Mary Ann told me  she was not so sure about.  Proof of their enjoyment is that they have signed up to go on  the run in the morning.  Leaving at 9:30 am  sharp and heading toward the  Ridge. Bring chairs, lunch and a good attitude!  Terry will lead this one  as he had in the past. 

Betty

You must be heading for the Ridge.  Enjoy.
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »
Yep.
We call it The Ridge but we have not seen that designation in any of the  "books."  We  get lost but then we get htere. It is all good fun.

Wish you were here.
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
What's it called in the books ?
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »
A few pix here, of Joseph Cones' cabin, the cabin at Goodman mine (both are west of Q) and of 4WD stuff. The first one is of Joseph Cones' cabin, the second is the path into the Goodman mine area (note vehicle at top of trail), third is the cabin at Goodman mine, fourth is the mine itself, fifth is me "leaning against" a saguaro (note the other man in the distance to the right), next is Mary Ann next to a rock with petroglyphs, Jerry repositioning a rock to help support Frank's Jeep, and finally is Frank guiding me through an alternate path around the same obstacle.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:26:08 AM by Larry N. »
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
    First things first, Happy belated Birthday Barb, hopefully it was acknowledged, and you got your bumps from everyone.  Donna and I were on our first cruise, and I missed sending the note on Wednesday.
   Second, hopefully no one blew a tire on the way up the ridge as we did 2 years ago.  But thanks to an excellent pit crew, we didn't miss a beat.  So, it may not show as "The Ridge" on any map, it is permanently in our memory as such.
   Sure wish we were there with every one, see you all in Moab.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »
Anyone know the last Walmart, Fry's or Kroger's going West on I-10 through Phoenix? thanks in advance. . .

Exit 129 (?), Dysart, turn right (north), Walmart on right at first stoplight, Fry's a couple of blocks further down on right
Exit 126, Estrella Pkwy, turn left (south)-Walmart (nicer and newer) on right, Safeway a couple of blocks further on right.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »
A few more images from Thursday night happy hour . . .   :)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
I left Lazydays and traveled at 100kph, I pulled into Picacho State park right at Sunset. It was Breath taking! Try an AZ state park.

The Drive-shaft didn't come in. :( I didn't want to spend another night at Lazydays, as great a place as it is. 26 days in the service lot needed to come to an end.
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font
. . . still ridin' for the brand.
Traded: 6/19/18
1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060; tow:'08 Kia Spectra5

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bob. You're not having much luck!
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Other good appears to be coming out of my time there Tom. . .
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font
. . . still ridin' for the brand.
Traded: 6/19/18
1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060; tow:'08 Kia Spectra5

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »
Caught this QZ sunset this evening (Thursday) after happy hour . . .  :)

Settings:
Canon50D, Canon 28-135mm lens @ 38mm
f13.0 aperture, shutter speed 1/15sec.
Center weighted metering
Mode: Aperture Priority
On tripod, using 2sec self timer
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:18:56 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
I had a FABULOUS time on the 4WD run today (well, except for that one little bitty section :) ). The scenery was spectacular and exciting and the company was stellar. Gordon is exhausted and so am I. Mike is ready to head out again. Thank you Betty and Terry for leading us on this wonderful run and thanks to Frank and Barb for bringing up the rear and keeping us all in line .... although actually, Jerry and Ardra were the butt end, weren't they :)  And thanks to Mike and Jack for providing the most excitement on the run.

I'll try to make the 10 am walk tomorrow but a coffee or tea sit around the campfire ring and chat meeting sounds pretty good, too.
I love Framily and I love Quartzsite. See y'all tomorrow. Life Is Good.
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Beautiful sunset, Bob, just beautiful.

Life Is Good
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
Quote from: Wendy
I had a FABULOUS time on the 4WD run today

You have 4WD in the yellow bug?

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »

We have 4 wheels .... and at least 2 of them were on the ground at all times :)  And Mike did a great job driving that little yellow bug.

Wendy, proud mother of Sunshine VW and wife of the great 4WD VW driver
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:20:06 PM by Wendy »
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

seilerbird

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2012, 08:16:52 PM »
Tom, you would have had to been there to actually believe it. 10 4WD vehicles and the Love Bug going up a crazy 4WD trail. There is no way I would have believed it could have made that run if they hadn't been two cars in front of me all day and if I hadn't seen it with my own too eyes. My hat is off to Mike. That was one fantastic piece of driving.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
Did Wendy need to get out and push?

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 08:52:49 PM »

We have 4 wheels .... and at least 2 of them were on the ground at all times :)  And Mike did a great job driving that little yellow bug.

1.  We are so proud of Mike and his Yellow V dub.  I know  he has  spent time and $ to get it off road ready.  All of his efforts paid off. He followed us as leaders and we "Knew"  and had planned  that we would use our  tow strap to give him an assist up the hills requiring a 4 wheel drive  but we did not need it. He has wings.  On the  most difficult spot Mike flew over the rock with his back two wheels on the ground and his front wheels off the ground.  Whoo hoo what a ride.

2. We picked up a  newbie  at the trail head ( who had actually met up with the 3 some yesterday) Bill will hopefully join the RVForum.

3.  Carol and John were in a  stock GMC Envoy  and we assured them that is the vehicle we used to have and they would have no problem.  Well er uhhhh,  only  one road building  effort was required but they did great!

4. Jack and  Rima had only used their jeep 2 times  before and this was the most challenging off road experience they have ever had. Of course I gave them a defective  FRS radio that did not help their navigation at all.   Rima did almost  cry a few times and  she told me she was shaking a lot, but she never threw up as I wanted to do on my first Ridge trip. 

5. Dennis and Vicki climbed the hills as pros, but they skipped Happy Hour being VERY  hungry! or tired?

6. Henry and Margharite did very  well today and showed exquisite  patience at the slow pace they had to maintain up hills and down hills due to  slower moving traffic around them.  I just kept  repeating the  theme, breathe, breathe on this trip.

7. Cousin Jim  and Claire took on passenger Tom and had " electrician" discussions all day .  And of course  photo opportunities.

8. Larry and Mary Ann kept  a slow and steady pace so he could  ensure  she thinks off roading is  a cruise. 

9. Chris and Mimi were senior  members of the group today. They told me they are going home in AM to get  to  a chiropractor for Mimi's neck.

9. Frank and Barb took on  passengers Jerry and Ardra.  Who was navigating? Weimarts are  excellent tail gunners cause they  wanna be first!

No one got left behind, no one was injured  (except for jumping Cholla cactus thorns in shoes) . If you had a bit of frayed nerves, on the trip today our mission was accomplished.  Sorry if I missed commenting on you . WE love the Ridge and  you all made it. What a wonderful bunch of good sports!

Betty and Terry
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
Did Wendy need to get out and push?
Wendy did get out but did not push. I was supposed to video Mike climbing the rocks but I was too freaked out to do anything but yell "stop", "no, the other way", before turning around and not watching :)

Gordon is exhaused as am I. Can I join Mimi at the chiropractor?

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

seilerbird

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »
I had a fantastic time today and I really appreciate it that Jim and Claire would take me along. I don't see what the problem is? I thought it was just a nice cool ride through the desert.

Betty is sugar coating it though, we did have a traffic accident with one injured rider. Jack's Jeep rolled into Jim's Jeep at 1/2 mile per hour. Evidently the parking brake came off and Jack's Jeep rolled four feet into the front of Jim's Jeep and did extremely mild damage to the license plate frame on Jim's Jeep. Just barely dented it. Not a scratch on Jack's Jeep because it ran into the license plate frame spare tire first. Rima hurt her ankle jumping out of the rolling Jeep. It was such a minor hurt you couldn't even see a bruise. It was actually funnier than it was serious. Best laugh of the day.

Film at 11...

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
Rima did almost  cry a few times and  she told me she was shaking a lot, but she never threw up as I wanted to do on my first Ridge trip. 

As I remember it you were laughing all the way. Of course, I couldn't tell over the radio if it was from excitement or fear!!! :-) What a great ride that was!!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
Happy Hour tonight was a mixture of sharing!  Great  snacks again and what a fire.  Paul Bunyon-like Ray with his big ax chopped Don's former patio into shreds and it is still burning well after dark. Most of us got cold and went home for dinner but I see a lone sole sitting by the fire enjoying the heat of  the wood at 8 pm tonight.

Chris and Mimi will be leaving early morning but I told them they  must leave their pot luck dish with us, instead they gave us  2 grapefruit at 7:30 pm when the knocked to say good bye. We will miss them.   

Jim and Claire are  leaving in am to visit his brother in Phoenix.  Family gotta love them. Jim is my  cousin.  We had a chance to catch up on family  gossip/information  for a few minutes tonight! 

Lucy did not attend  Happy Hour but left word she was visiting her Rodeo friends. We will keep a light on for her. We got a chance to visit  with  Tim and Jan and I can't recall if they  will leave in am or not. I hope not.  Dean Stock had to leave this morning because his wife had theater  tickets for tonight.  Booo Linda , we love Quartzsite!

Terry and Frank  helped Tim  fix his  Hughes Net.  Lou fixed Tom's generator and I don't know who all fixed things for everyone else!  Come to an RVForum rally to  get to know who has expertise!

I'm sure there were more conversations at Happy hour tonight but  I have to wash dishes so I leave the photos and more info to to others!

Goodnight.

Betty

Betty Brewer

see where we are