2012 RVForum QZ Rally - Arrivals and rally activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Happy Hour picture is great. Glad they were able to relax after a day playing with rocks in the desert :)

Wendy

Mike and Dea - I am sorry I missed you four. I got here right about the time you were leaving.

I don't know how much you know about the train ride into the Grand Canyon, but it is way cool. If you don't know anything then I won't spoil the return trip for you, but make sure the grandkids don't fall asleep on the way home. It will be memorable. Have your camera ready when you get within 15 miles of Williams on the way back and get ready to photograph the GKs reactions.

If you have never been to the Grand Canyon and you want to get the most bang for your buck in your 3 1/2 hours there let me know. I live at the Grand Canyon for a month or two every year.

Mike,

Thanks for sharing those photos of your little grandies.  I LOVE the happy hour one.  Talk about zonked out!  They have their blankets and they're on Granddad's lap.  What more could they want?!?  What great memories you're making for them.

Glad you all got to join us, but too bad it was so short.  Maybe it can be longer next time.

ArdraF

My thing with this rally has been taking names and getting folks here -- then Wendy and Betty take over, and make the rally what it is . . .

So I thought I would just post this one pic for now to thank them for what they do for us. I hope next year I can add Helaine to such a special image.

Will post more tomorrow . . .  :)

Attachments

• BettyWendyS.JPG
    BettyWendyS.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 88
Nice photo Bob. I just can't figure out why they are smiling so broadly. You would think they were actually having fun.

Bob,

Thank you for the wonderful photo of pal Wendy and myself.  Your kind words are appreciated but I must  confess that this was my year to take a sabbatical on Quartzsite activities so Wendy and "her crew"  take all the credit.  Her crew includes the infamous Lucy, my hero,  who at 71 years of age manages her huge beautiful 5th wheel all by herself.  Then she shops non stop all year to come up with perfect presents, prizes, theme decorations and  anything else fun.  She provided several personalized  prizes, awards tonight for newbies, best dressed  and  more.  Photos to follow I am sure!

Others on the crew include anyone who brought one of the  delicious  hors d' oeurves tonight  Hawaiian style. I told Terry to eat up as it was going to be dinner but he still required a grilled pork chop on my new Grill It.  Liza will be happy to know I set off the smoke alarm 3 times cooking this thin  pork chop. Wendy's crew also included anyone who dressed in Luau attire this afternoon.  Best dressed was a hands down Dave and Marilyn Brown with  the  grass skirts  get up.  I'm told his coconut bra slipped down a few  times but  women of the RVForum  assured him that anyone over 40 will experience that effect of gravity.  Chris  P. did ask that any of the  men wearing  grass skirts  kindly keep their legs together as it was providing images that would  give him  nightmares.  All complied.  This RVForum group has a knack at making laughter and smiles and  the thought of What a life!  We think this  theme was so much fun it is a do over, so plan on  an Island theme for next year too and bring your Hawaiian shirt.  Who woulda thought that  retirement would be so much fun.  Welcome newbies, you may never be the same!

The  three rigs that went on Dripping Springs 4 wheel drive event today concur that  Larry and Mary Ann N deserve a shout out for one of their first off road experiences in their Jeep !  It was a moderately  challenging run that Larry told me he really enjoyed while Mary Ann told me  she was not so sure about.  Proof of their enjoyment is that they have signed up to go on  the run in the morning.  Leaving at 9:30 am  sharp and heading toward the  Ridge. Bring chairs, lunch and a good attitude!  Terry will lead this one  as he had in the past. 

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
The  three rigs that went on Dripping Springs 4 wheel drive event today concur that  Larry and Mary Ann N deserve a shout out for one of their first off road experiences in their Jeep !  It was a moderately  challenging run that Larry told me he really enjoyed while Mary Ann told me  she was not so sure about.  Proof of their enjoyment is that they have signed up to go on  the run in the morning.  Leaving at 9:30 am  sharp and heading toward the  Ridge. Bring chairs, lunch and a good attitude!  Terry will lead this one  as he had in the past. 

Betty
You must be heading for the Ridge.  Enjoy.

Yep.
We call it The Ridge but we have not seen that designation in any of the  "books."  We  get lost but then we get htere. It is all good fun.

Wish you were here.
Betty

A few pix here, of Joseph Cones' cabin, the cabin at Goodman mine (both are west of Q) and of 4WD stuff. The first one is of Joseph Cones' cabin, the second is the path into the Goodman mine area (note vehicle at top of trail), third is the cabin at Goodman mine, fourth is the mine itself, fifth is me "leaning against" a saguaro (note the other man in the distance to the right), next is Mary Ann next to a rock with petroglyphs, Jerry repositioning a rock to help support Frank's Jeep, and finally is Frank guiding me through an alternate path around the same obstacle.

Attachments

• CMiscStuff_01_24_12_329sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_24_12_329sm.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 69
  • CMiscStuff_01_24_12_351sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_24_12_351sm.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 59
  • CMiscStuff_01_24_12_355sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_24_12_355sm.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 66
  • CMiscStuff_01_24_12_360sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_24_12_360sm.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 75
  • CMiscStuff_01_24_12_366sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_24_12_366sm.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 58
  • CMiscStuff_01_26_12_441sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_26_12_441sm.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 76
  • CMiscStuff_01_26_12_457sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_26_12_457sm.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 86
  • CMiscStuff_01_26_12_464sm.JPG
    CMiscStuff_01_26_12_464sm.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 82
    First things first, Happy belated Birthday Barb, hopefully it was acknowledged, and you got your bumps from everyone.  Donna and I were on our first cruise, and I missed sending the note on Wednesday.
  Second, hopefully no one blew a tire on the way up the ridge as we did 2 years ago.  But thanks to an excellent pit crew, we didn't miss a beat.  So, it may not show as "The Ridge" on any map, it is permanently in our memory as such.
  Sure wish we were there with every one, see you all in Moab.

Ed

Bob Maxwell said:
Anyone know the last Walmart, Fry's or Kroger's going West on I-10 through Phoenix? thanks in advance. . .

Exit 129 (?), Dysart, turn right (north), Walmart on right at first stoplight, Fry's a couple of blocks further down on right
Exit 126, Estrella Pkwy, turn left (south)-Walmart (nicer and newer) on right, Safeway a couple of blocks further on right.

A few more images from Thursday night happy hour . . .  :)

Attachments

• ThursGroupS.JPG
    ThursGroupS.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 61
  • JerryArdraS.JPG
    JerryArdraS.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 61
  • PaulAnnShirleyRolfHowardMarshaS.JPG
    PaulAnnShirleyRolfHowardMarshaS.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 61
  • MarshaS.JPG
    MarshaS.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 56
  • FlyOverS.JPG
    FlyOverS.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 53
  • GregJerryDonS.JPG
    GregJerryDonS.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 55
  • HulaSkirtsS.JPG
    HulaSkirtsS.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 67
  • JackRimaS.JPG
    JackRimaS.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 55
  • TomSeilerS.JPG
    TomSeilerS.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 60
  • TomWendyS.jpg
    TomWendyS.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 61
  • FireRingS.JPG
    FireRingS.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 56
I left Lazydays and traveled at 100kph, I pulled into Picacho State park right at Sunset. It was Breath taking! Try an AZ state park.

The Drive-shaft didn't come in. :( I didn't want to spend another night at Lazydays, as great a place as it is. 26 days in the service lot needed to come to an end.

Sorry to hear that Bob. You're not having much luck!

Caught this QZ sunset this evening (Thursday) after happy hour . . .  :)

Settings:
Canon50D, Canon 28-135mm lens @ 38mm
f13.0 aperture, shutter speed 1/15sec.
Center weighted metering
Mode: Aperture Priority
On tripod, using 2sec self timer

Attachments

• QZSunset0112S.JPG
    QZSunset0112S.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
I had a FABULOUS time on the 4WD run today (well, except for that one little bitty section :) ). The scenery was spectacular and exciting and the company was stellar. Gordon is exhausted and so am I. Mike is ready to head out again. Thank you Betty and Terry for leading us on this wonderful run and thanks to Frank and Barb for bringing up the rear and keeping us all in line .... although actually, Jerry and Ardra were the butt end, weren't they :)  And thanks to Mike and Jack for providing the most excitement on the run.

I'll try to make the 10 am walk tomorrow but a coffee or tea sit around the campfire ring and chat meeting sounds pretty good, too.
I love Framily and I love Quartzsite. See y'all tomorrow. Life Is Good.
Wendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom