Winnebago View 24M 2012 air mattress problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlainL

We really enjoy our View 24M.  We had originally ordered a 24K but the model was discontinued and replaced with the 24M.  We were happy about this as we believed the Comfort sofa was the answer to sleeping arrangements.  Last summer was the most we have ever travelled with a motorhome, it was great.  Only one problem....all summer we fought to keep the air mattress inflated.  We have had it replaced 3 times by Winnebago.  We finally bought an Aerobed air mattres but still have same deflation problem due to air temperature changes in the motorhome.  We have contacted Winnebago several times....no resolution to problem air mattress.  We believe that if they could design a Rest Easy sofa to fit the 24M this would solve the problem.  There are lots of people with the same problem in their 24M as us who would be most interested in this solution!  We are not sure that we can pass another camping season on a deflating air mattress.  We are looking into trading in our 24M.

Alain & Kim View 24M

Alain, if I recall my brother used an Aerobed mattress last summer when he stayed with us for a few days. We were in our MH and they were in a tent and he never had problems with the mattress deflating because of air temp changes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem but if you don't have an external leak (doubtful since you've replaced 3 times) then I would suspect the relief valve or something is not sealing correctly. Air temp will have a minor effect but it will not deflate any air mattress that I know of.
I would take it outside and air it up where I could look it over carefully and listen, it has to be leaking somewhere.

AlainL, my sister just bought a 2012 View 24M. Her mattress is made by AirTeck. She is curious what the make of your replacement mattresses is. Thanks.

Okay guys....the only problems we have with the View 24M is air mattresses that lose air during the night and need to be 'pumped up' and the design of the metal frame which is higher at the top curving the mattress and making the mattress constantly slide down so that it rests against the kitchen cupboards thereby making it impossible to pass around the bed.  Despite this, it is our favorite motorhome todate!  Drives great, comfortable, versatile, a real joy to travel in.  (FYI we have an Aerobed mattress at home for visitors with no air loss problems)  We have come to the conclusion that no air mattress model will remain completely inflated for the night when temperatures get cooler.  Having to add air at 3am gets kind of annoying and frustrating especially after the high price we paid.  This kind of sofa is good for kids and occasional visitors but not for a main bed for adults.  P.S. original mattresses were Airteck, replacement is Aerobed which we bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. Better quality, nicer cushion top and quieter air pump, but still loses air in colder temperatures.

SunStar203, my brother just bought a Vista 26P this week, he will receive it in April.  How do you like your SunStar?  He was looking at a View 24M like ours but decided to go with the permanent bed after hearing about air mattress problems.

SunStar 26P could be a fulltime RV for one person and fine for two people if not fulltiming. After 14K miles, my only big complaint has been the living area slide faulting when closing. After three dealers could not align it, I went to Forest City where they fixed it in less than 2 hours. Unfortunately, depending on where you start, that can be a long trip. Other than that, anything else that needed attention has been minor and hardly memorable.

Hello,
I used to do a lot of "gulp" tent camping. I would cram this full-size air mattress into the tent for a good night of sleep. After many trips it finally started to leak and at 3am I would have to fill it again. Up until then it stayed firm even with huge temp changes.  If you can get the mattress outside easily, fill it with air so that it is very firm.  Take very soapy water and a sponge and slowly go over it with a lot of the soapy water.  As soon as you hit any leak, no matter how small, it will blow bubbles.  I bet something else that the mattress rests on has a tiny pin like projectile that keeps poking the new mattresses.

Good luck!

P.S. What is your typical gas mileage with the 24M?

Thanks everybody for trying to help us.  FYI we get about 13 to 14 mpg.  Diesel in Canada costs about 20% more than gas, so no real savings.

Be sure to check into the View-Navion Yahoo User Group also.  Lots and lots of fellow owners have discussed solutions and some have found custom made beds.  Be sure to use the search feature before posting as you will find a lot of info. 

Put a heated mattress pad on the air bed and it won't drop air pressure in the cold.  And if it does put the heated mattress pad on the bottom of the air mattress.  We had the low air problem from cold even in out S/B home with a Sleep Number bed and the heated mattress pad cured it.  We only set the heated pad to it's lowest setting.

Sounds like a lot of trouble just for week-end camping especially after paying just under 100k

AlainL said:
...We have come to the conclusion that no air mattress model will remain completely inflated for the night when temperatures get cooler...

We have no such problem with our full Queen size Sleep Number mattress, but we never let the interior drop below about 70 degrees.

We live in Canada and temperatures get cool at night.  My wife and I like to sleep with the temperature a little cooler, around 60 degrees so it easier to breath. Winnebago should inform their dealers that with the comfort sofa sleeper the inside temperature has to be at a certain temperature.If I had known that, I would have thought twice about buying this model. There are numerous complaints in various forums about this air mattress. I guess I'm not the only one who wasn't informed.

By the way John your Sleep number mattress is not full air mattress, it's not the same at all !

My wife and I like to sleep with the temperature a little cooler, around 60 degrees so it easier to breath.
Have you tried inflating the mattress to your desired amount when the temp is around 60 degrees or whatever you like to sleep at? That should eliminate all deflation problems if they are temp related.
I also have not had trouble with our sleep number. As I said above brother used an air mattress in a tent with no problems and that has to be a 20 - 30 degree swing day to night. I think the relationship is only about 5% of volume per 10 degrees or so which is hardly noticeable or no one could use air mattresses when camping.
I certainly don't dispute the problem everyone is having, just find it hard to understand how it can be from temperature alone. I hope you find a solution either way.

Hi everybody. I called Vila Furniture this week.  They have a replacement sofa similar to Easy Rest, very nice.  They know about the View 24M sofa sleeper problem.  Saleman said they have sold a few to View owners.  Cost is a little heavy....$2500+$500 transport + installation.  Before we decide to go with this solution we are wondering if anyone knows if the 2013 View will have a better sofa to sleep on?

With all of the problems mentioned on the online forums concerning the air mattress issue maybe it is time for a class action suit...then again who really knows how many defective air mattress are out there...typically you only read about owners who are having problems. Maybe it is not as bad as it reads?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom