Valley of the Gods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have it all wrong.  The idea of being an RVer is to travel, not escape from trips.  Live it up while you have the chance.

Bruce, looking at pictures never do them justice.  You have to see it to really enjoy it.  And every place I have been more than once I have visited at different times of the year and see something different every time as well as different colors that one did not see at a different season.

Karl said:
Let me add the Valley of Fire, near Overton, NV to the north of the Lake Mead Recreational Area, for some spectacular rock formations. There are w&e sites for $7/night with your Golden Age Passport card.

Nevada state parks give the Golden Age discount? I'm putting together a list of the discounts different states offer. The official Nevada state park website only shows a discount for seniors who have lived in Nevada for 5 years.

Karl, I'm pretty sure that Valley of Fire is a Nevada state park. Where's the campground at Lake Mead with electric hookups for half-off? We'll have to hit it next trip. (Hope it's not Overton which is closing this month due to low water)

Yes, Valley of Fire is a Nevada State Park - north of Las Vegas, east of I-15.  It abuts the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.  It's a really nice place - except for next weekend when NASCAR will be in town and getting out to the Valley of Fire from anywhere south of the Speedway will be darned near impossible.

ArdraF

Getting anywhere on the north side of town will be impossible this weekend. I remember spending 3 hours getting from the Tropicana to the race track several years ago. Glad we were in the motorhome so I didn't have to worry about pit stops.

You get there by going to Overton and then turning East and driving for what seems like forerver. Lemme check - maybe I was thinking of a different place on Lake Mead that had such cheap rates. What I remember is that you put your money or check in an envelope (provided), wrote your Golden Age # on the outside and put it in an Iron Ranger. I'll try to come up with the name. Now that I think about it, it may have been Echo Bay... or Stewart's Point... or... Stay tuned; I'll look it up.

Karl, Karl, Karl, if you go due east at Overton, you end up in the Muddy River. Or if you drive east forever from Overton, you end up lost in the desert. Sounds like an NPS campground if you put your money in a brown envelope and then dumped it in an Iron Ranger but I don't think any of the NPS campgrounds at Lake Mead have electric. You keep looking and let me know or ask Hercule, he'd remember.

Wendy
Staying Tuned

O.k. You take 15 NW to the Maopa River Indian Reservation, exit onto 169 (Crystal), and go 16 miles on a road that had many washouts. Forget about Overton! The second place was Boulder Beach, about 45 miles South of V.O.F. Beautiful park with some pull-thru's, shaded with palm and other trees, close to the beach (couple hundred yards) - really nice place!

Unfortunately, Socrates was the navigator that year and he's not around anymore - except in spirit.

We've stayed at Boulder Beach. Very nice but no electric hookups. Closest Lake Mead campground to Hoover Dam and Hayden Visitor Center. Accessible from Henderson and from Boulder City. I'm sure Socrates would tell us if he could as would Hercules. Interesting feline names....they appear to be well-read cats.

Karl said:
Actually, it's just Hercule - as in Hercule Poirot; Agatha Christie's detective. I let my cats name themselves, and he's been investigating everything since taking over the household :D

My apologies to Hercule....I know his correct name I just got carried and did a typo. Although he is a mighty cat so Hercules could also apply.

Hello, I cannot open Ned's or Terry's pics on this page but the ones Karl has on I can open just fine, does anyone have a possible solution to this ??  ???
When I open Ned's and Terry's it looks like a color finger painting!!  :mad:

Thanks Randy

Re, Lake Mead.  The longer the drought, the lower the water.  It's now down about 70 percent!  So when you talk about waterfront camping, maybe yes and maybe no.  They just moved another marina out to deeper water.

ArdraF

Ardra, I bet you just love it when it's snowing on me, huh? Our western slope snow turns into water in Lake Mead, eventually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom