We are going full time and just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olypentax

We have never had an RV and only rented a couple of times but we have decided to go full time and have started looking for a good rig. I have been reading and researching on this great site for a while but this is my first post. I can ask specific questions in other threads but would like to get some general ideas about our RV search.

We have decided to go with a Class A in the 32' to 35' range with a gas engine. Our dilemma is that we have about $10k + in cash and would like something in good condition. If we buy a rig for cash we won't have any payments but I am finding it difficult to find what we want at that price. There are some in the late 80's, 90's that are less than $10-15k but it seems if I want a slide or two the price goes to at least $20k. I am not sure if we need the slides but they would be nice. When did slides first show up in motorhomes?

We wouldn't be opposed to financing a small balance but our credit union won't lend on anything over 6 years old and we can't afford anything that new so it looks like we need to pay cash. In looking at rigs I am sure we can find something we like under $25k.

If this is your first RV then you can bet it won't be your last RV. I have been shopping to replace my RV with one in the $10k range. Just about everything under $10 will need a few thousand put into it right after you buy it. Most of them need tires. Tires are only good for 7 years on an RV regardless of the amount of tread left.

Forget the slides for now. If you discover that you really want slides then that will be for your next RV, slides add about $10k to the resale price.

In order to find a decent used RV it takes me several months of shopping.

I also fulltime now, for  about 6 months.

It took me a YEAR to find one that had the right FLOOR PLAN that I wanted, also mechanically sound. Most used RV's sold by owner are rode hard and put away wet, with most owners in la-la land about the value.

Also agree with forgeting about the slides for now.

We are in no big rush and my wife has a work commitment for a while anyway. I like how the slides expand the room but I also have some concern with older slides needing more maintenance and whether they leak or not. I may just have to go with no slides to find a better RV for the money.

Slides began to appear in motorhomes in the early-mid 90's - a 96 Southwind we had sported a single huge 14 foot "super slide".  But if it's in nice shape, 32-35 feet and has a slide, you are going to be hard-pressed to stay in the $10k budget. I would not part with one of those at that price. Yoo are probaly looking at $15k-$25k for a mid-90's, 34-35 ft gas coach with a slide.

Even a no-slide is going to be a tight budget fit unless much older, and you still should budget a couple thousand for necessary work (and another couple thousand for an emergency reserve).

Don't get me wrong - there are decent coaches out there for $10k. They just won't be quite what you said you are looking for.

This site lists actual cash selling prices for gas coaches. It should give you a feel for pricing.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/class-a-motor-homes.htm

The Dolphins were a very popular coach - I had a 2002 Dolphin LX myself. That one looks very clean, which often implies well-maintained as well.

However, I would consider 118k miles to be rather risky in a motorhome, where the engine and transmission are always work hard, near their max capability. Could run another 40-50k miles, or could die tomorrow. Best to have a substantial cash reserve for unexpected repairs.

Good Luck!!  Ten grand won't get you much except time on the side of the road.  It takes more bucks to get started I'm afraid.  You might consider a travel trailer.  You'll get more bang for the buck.  If you wind up hating the lifestyle it will be easier to sell!

I have been full timing in a $2600 27 foot 1985 Tiffin Allegro that I bought two years ago. I have spent only a few hours total on the side of the road during the last two years. Twice was for a fuel pump. If the mechanic would have fixed it correctly the first time it would have only been once. The other time I threw a fan belt. You don't need to be rich to be an RVer.

Seilerbird, thanks so much for your reply and this gives us hope. I know we also can full time on our budget but I expect to pay more than you did for a MH. I also am a fair mechanic so I should be able to take care of the rig OK.

BTW, I looked at your Picasa pictures and they are great. I am an amateur photographer and also plan on taking a lot of pictures and posting them either on Facebook, a blog or my website;

Edit: Link moved to sig line.

You are welcome and thank you for your kind words. Check the tire date codes on any potential RV you are planning on getting. If the tires are over 7 years or weather checked then they will need to be replaced. I had to replace mine immediately for a cost of $900 before I could use the RV. I have probably spent another $4k on repairs in the last two years so I have put about $7500 into it total. That is not bad for two years of full time living. Be prepared to spend a lot of time shopping for your RV, there are a lot of wrecks out there for sale.

snix said:
We are newbies too and not ready to buy yet but saw this on EBAY this morning...probably needs tires but seems like it's worth looking athttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200-PHOTOS-MINT-COND-1991-PACE-ARROW-35-FT-CARFAX-CERTIFIED-SERVICED-NO-RESERVE-/160726016665?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item256c046299
There are several 1991 Pace Arrows on Craigslist cheaper than the bid price. And the auction has 4 days to go.

http://www.allofcraigs.com/2009/08/search-all-of-craigslist.html?cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3Ao8xsd8d7h7s&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=1991+pace+arrow&as_qdr=a&safe=active&sa=Search

cool..I've always been afraid of Craigs List but will start watching it now.

I bought my 85 Allegro two years ago on Craigslist for $2600 and I have been living in it for the past two years. I don't have a toad so it is my vehicle also. I have been very happy with it. Of course I had repairs and problems, buy you expect that in the low end market no matter where you buy it from.

Back
Top Bottom