Brits continuing trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodentops

Hi all
Some of you may remember us from previous postings looking for advice on our adventures in the US. We are now into our fourth and probably final year - air flights are becoming increasingly expensive so flying out 3 or 4 times a year to use our RV for only 3 weeks each time is now not a reality and later this year we will sell the RV. However considering we initially only intended a 3 month one off trip we consider ourselves very lucky. We have experienced so much and seen some truly amazing sights. Yes there have been difficulties to overcome (particlarly around vehicle registration) but with help from this forum they have been overcomed.

Now to the point of this post - Can anyone suggest RV storage handy to the Dallas Fort Worth area? I have "googled" but am not coming up with much at all - or the businesses I have contacted by email have not responded. We will require storage from towards end of Feb through to end of May. Something within an hour of the airport is good as flights usually arrive early evening.

When we return in May we will then be moving on and spending some time in Colorado - only 3 weeks so what shouldn't we miss!

Thanks again for a forum that is an excellent resource.

Sorry to hear you'll need to curtail your trips across the Atlantic. But you'll have a lot of memories.

I can't help with storage in TX, but hopefully one of our 'locals' will jump in with suggestions.

You might search for long term storage in the DFW area.  It has been quite a while since I was last down that far south.  But you might also check with some of the off site car rental lots.  And also a couple of the hotels in my area also offer long term storage for vehicles.  Also you might expand your search to Arlington and Grand Prairie.  When you return home this time, you might consider placing an ad in papers in the UK for prospective buyers.  Never know you might find a Brit who wants to do the same thing you have done.  You could also consider renting it out to Brits wanting to come over for a few weeks.

Apologies for not responding to your replies  - unfortunately 2 days after posting my husband suffered a stroke so things were difficult here and our planned trip in February had to be cancelled.
Due to this situation we are definately now going to sell our Winnebago and I will be making a 3 week trip in June when I hope to achieve this - although I appreciate that is not a very long window.

Can anyone out there offer any advice or expereince of a quick way to sell at a realistic price. Do dealers purchase out right? Do prices and speed of sale vary by state?

The RV is currently in Atlanta Georgia (although registered in California) but I had planned to move it across to Texas and because flights were booked prior to my husbands stroke I will be flying home from Denver Colorado. So could sell the RV anywhere on that route.

I will be advertising in the UK in case other Brits want to live the dream like us. It would make such sense as the money transfer could be in ? and the RV has all equipment necessary which we had to buy when we bought the RV from a dealer. And we could pass on our knowledge of registration, insurance etc.  Within the forum are there places I could advertise that may attract attention from Brits? Do any Brits know of American RV clubs in the UK whose members may be interested?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have many many happy memories from our travels and have been helped enormously by this forum. We are so glad we decided to "live the dream" whilst still young. (Not quite 50).  Julie

Julie, I'm really sorry to hear of your husband's stroke.

Others might have a better idea of the market for used RVs, but I suspect it might be saturated due to a combination of factors, including the economy. I can't see a dealer wanting to buy the coach from you if you're not buying a newer one from them. You might need to leave it in the hands of a broker when you return home. OTOH you might be lucky and find a buyer

My  neighbor recently sold his motorhome while on a visit to southern California; He put it on Craig's List one Friday evening, and it sold the next morning. The buyers had been looking around for months, and bought my neighbor's coach when they saw the condition that it was in.

Feel free to post a (free) ad on our Private for-sale board.

What year is the coach?

P.S. Check your PMs (My messages button above) for a message from me.

Thanks Tom.

It's a 1998 year. I will post in the For Sale section once I have got all the details together.
Is Craig's list a cross state list or does it just exist in some states?

Julie

Julie,

Craig's List is available across the USA, Canada, Europe and parts of the UK. They have the ability to list wherever you're selling, and for buyers to research by country, state and city. I haven't used them, but check out the link.

I will post in the For Sale section ...

Be sure to include pictures and let people know where/when they can see the coach.

Most RV dealers would not be interested in buyng a 1998 coach for their used inventory. And in any case the buying price would be wholesale, which is peanuts for an older coach like that.  You are far better off selling it privately, but that is not likely to be quick. Perhaps a consignment sale place such as PPL Motorhomes in Texas could handle the sale for you. They get a commission, of course, but you don't have a lot of options unless you luck into a buyer right away on Craigs List or Ebay. And those services charge a commission too.

Craigs List is strictly a local service in the USA, but there is one in every locale. There are 3rd party tools that will search all the Craigs Lists across the country, so shoppers can search nationwide if they choose. It's not automatic, though. If you want national coverage, ebay is your best bet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom