Fresh Water Tank Drain Leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Bill

Our Fresh water tank has started leaking on an '04 journey 36G.  The drain is actuated via a cable with the handle located in the mid bay on the pass side of the coach.  The mechanism is hidden so I can't see how it works.

I have called Winnebago about a diagram on how the drain is operated with the cable.  Would like to know before I tear into it to attempt to correct the leak.  So far, no luck.  I can't find any diagrams, and, neither can the folks at Winnebago.  Does anyone have a diagram or a drawing that shows the drain configuration?  Also, has anyone else had this problem?  And if so, what did you need to do to stop the leak?

Will appreciate any help with this.

Edit by John: changed message icon to Topic Solved

That's correct John.  They couldn't find a drawing, or anything, that shows the construction of the drain assembly.  I was hoping someone would have a name to contact, or have a drawing.

Thanks for the reply!

There is an access plate on the front side of the water tank. Remove that plate and the valve and cable termination will be right there. As I remember there is an adjustment at the cable termination. It may just not be closing completely. Good luck...

Actually, the access plate is not on the water tank itself, it's on the big black metal box that holds the water tank... :)

John, thanks for the offer to help.  Here are the specifics for my coach.

The serial Number is:  10P83E281267.

The vin number is:  4UZAAHDC84CN26462.

Bill,
We had the same problem with our water tank drain leaking. The valve for the drain is on the passenger side front of the water tank. The tank is inside of a steel enclosure. The valve is behind an access plate which you have to remove to get to the valve. I took the access plate off and replaced the seals in the valve. It is hard to get to the screws for the valve but it can be done if you are patient and careful.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Indiana Journey,

I adjusted the cable to make sure the valve is seating completely.  It is still leaking.  So, I am probably going to have to do the seal replacement also.  I have a couple of questions.

1.  Did you remove the complete valve Assembly?  If so, where does the valve detach from the tank, and how?

2.  Where did you get the new seals?  I have not been able to find a parts person that can even find the valve to get a part number.

Appreciate the help!
Bill

Bill,
The valve is a 4-bolt flange assembly. You take the 4 bolts out and the valve has 2 flanges and the center has the gate assembly. The new seals fit where the old seals were located. You can find new 1 1/2" valve seal kits @ most RV parts dealers. The job is in close quarters, so you need to have lots of patience and small, long fingers. 
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Thanks Indiana Journey,

I wasn't sure what I needed to take off, or disassemble.  Back under under the coach tomorrow.  I'll post my results.

Bill

Well, I spent most of the day under the coach yesterday.  No success.  The new seals seem to be slightly larger than the original ones.  When I re-tighten the bolts the knife valve won't move.  When I loosen them to where it will move, it leaks.

Srhould I lube the new seals with anything?  Suggestions appreciated.

I did drill 2 holes in the metal box around the tank.  Sure made getting the bolts in and out easier!  I can R/R the valve in about 20 min now.

Are the seals the same manufacturer as the valve? If they are, you might try a little vegetable oil on them. It should free them up for the gate.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

It is raining today so wasn't able to get under the coach.  Called Valterra (the valve mfg) and spoke to a person about the problem.  They feel I may have gotten the seals for the older valves.  They are sending me a set of the newer ones.  I'll give them a try when the arrive and post my results.

Really appreciate the input!

They sent me the wrong seals - wrong size.  The valve co is now sending me the correct(?) ones.  However, I needed to close the tank up since we are moving tomorrow, to Austin.  I took the old ones, cleaned the minerals off them, put some vegetable oil on them, and reinstalled them.  Walla, no leak. 

Really appreciate all the help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom