trailer tires for 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Fivers51

I currently have the original tires that came with my 5Th wheel and been getting some advice about getting something better. Doing the longer haul thing not just intrastate travel. Had one tire dealer want to sell me Mastercraft tires. I have also researched the LT versus ST and convinced that LT is the way to go. GVWR 11,800 and the axles ratings are 5080. Anyone have some suggestions?  Thanks, Bill

Whatever brand tires you get, I would suggest going a load range higher than what would be "adequate" as long as your wheels will accept the tire. Don't skimp or go cheap on tires...get the best you can. Blowouts can be very costly and do more damage to an RV than you would expect.

I did a lot of research and got 4 Maxxis tires and have been pleased so far. They are a bit more expensive but worth it.  Also, as mentioned above go one load level higher than what is on the 5'er now.  You will not be sorry.

Don't be afraid to look at online suppliers for tires, just make sure that you've got someplace that will install tires purchased elsewhere.

On the subject of going to a higher load rating...

Keep in mind that if you get carried away on increasing your load rating you may exceed the pressure rating of the rims, for example: If you currently have Load Range E tires installed (80psi max pressure) you probably will not be able to use Load Range G (110-110psi max pressure) without replacing the rims with ones rated for the higher pressure. The same could also be possible if your factory tires a Load Range C and you attempt to mount Load Range D or E.

I would suggest that you weigh your trailer axles "before" replacing the tires. Make sure that you do this with the camper "fully provisioned" if possible, including a full fresh water tank even if you don't travel that way. The GVWR won't tell you how much weight is going to actually be on the tires. Most large truck stops will have a scale, also keep an eye out in your area for a DOT scale. If you find a DOT scale and it's not open a lot of times they will have the scale readout pointed towards the window so you can weigh it without anybody there, besides DOT scales won't cost you a dime. While you're weighing the camper do your truck, both steer and drive axle as well. You might be surprised to find how close you are to maxing out your truck drive tires with the camper attached if you don't have a dually.

I think that if you weigh this camper you will find that with 5k axles on it, Load Range D tires are going to be a pretty good choice.

You should call the vehicle manufacturer and tell them what you?re going to use and see if they will agree with your choice.

The Bridgestone Duravis R250  LT225/75R16E may be the best LT size fitment you?re likely to find. A little pricy considering you will also have to get new rims. But a very good design for RV trailer service. See the reference below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Duravis+R250&partnum=275QR6R250&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

FastEagle

http://fasteagle-militarycampgrounds.blogspot.com/

Your wheels will have the rating stamped on them so the installer can check them when the old tires are removed. If the wheels (rims) will accept the next higher load range, go for it. If you need new rims, think about getting new ones real hard.

BruceinFL said:
Your wheels will have the rating stamped on them so the installer can check them when the old tires are removed. If the wheels (rims) will accept the next higher load range, go for it. If you need new rims, think about getting new ones real hard.

Yep! And if the installer has any doubts just ask that the sidewal information be checked.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20708

FastEagle

threeful said:
I did a lot of research and got 4 Maxxis tires and have been pleased so far. They are a bit more expensive but worth it.  Also, as mentioned above go one load level higher than what is on the 5'er now.  You will not be sorry.

I put a set of Maxxis on summer '09.  Fine so far.

For what it's worth, I had bought a set of Mastercraft tires.  Decent price plus a rebate deal.  My understanding is the company was bought by Cooper Tire and I have always been a fan of Cooper.  So far, so good.  Although the tires I purchased were for the DW's car, I would assume the manufacturing standards would be the same for RV tires.  I might be wrong.

All I know is the tires are wearing well, handle great, and have good bite in the Michigan snow.  And a little cheaper than most name brand tires. 

The LT will work better for your heavy 11800 lb trailer than any brand ST tire. Now if you had a smaller lighter weight trailer then a ST may work for you.

I sure wouldn't recommend asking your RV manufacture that installed the low quality tires for their input on a tire replacement recommendation.
  You'll get better advise from folks with years actual experiences of using the product and the solution that actually works. Thats what makes forums so great as it cuts the mfg/dealer hype and advertising/marketing half truths.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom