EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve  (Read 5408 times)

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve
« on: March 26, 2005, 10:49:15 AM »
We did a day trip to Lancaster, CA where the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve is located. They advertise acres of poppies in the springtime. It was about a 75 mile drive. When we arrived the wind was so bad the poppies weren't open. There's a sign that tells you that in the gift shop, after you pay your entrance fee!!! It must be a gorgeous view when in full bloom. Anyone in the area in the next few weeks could have a colorful vista to see. Most of them seem to be the orange variety. I did get one photo of a mountainside from one of the vista points in the Reserve.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
Re: Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 02:39:07 PM »
Now that's a real beauty, Jim!  I would do a little enhancement of the foreground by increasing the color saturation of the beautiful red flowers.  Don't get em wrong, Jim, the picture is fantastic...I just get my jollies out of photo editing  ;D

Do you plan t print some of these beautiful pictures?
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »
Now that's a real beauty, Jim!  I would do a little enhancement of the foreground by increasing the color saturation of the beautiful red flowers.  Don't get em wrong, Jim, the picture is fantastic...I just get my jollies out of photo editing  ;D

Do you plan t print some of these beautiful pictures?

Steve,

I agree the foreground needs some enhancement. Right now I don't have the expertise or time to do it but will be looking at it again in the future. I probably will print some of these someday. My problem, as you well know, is there isn't a lot of space to hang these in a coach. :)

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 09:48:04 AM »
{{I probably will print some of these someday. My problem, as you well know, is there isn't a lot of space to hang these in a coach}}

I understand the storage problem very well.  Even now that we have a home base, I'm reluctant to print because it's so convenient to show my pictures on the computer.  Slide shows with sound and commentary can be produced making a much more interesting display.
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:37:45 PM »
We did a day trip to Lancaster, CA where the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve is located. They advertise acres of poppies in the springtime. It was about a 75 mile drive. When we arrived the wind was so bad the poppies weren't open. There's a sign that tells you that in the gift shop, after you pay your entrance fee!!! It must be a gorgeous view when in full bloom. Anyone in the area in the next few weeks could have a colorful vista to see. Most of them seem to be the orange variety. I did get one photo of a mountainside from one of the vista points in the Reserve.

Jim:  What terrific color.  This is a perfect place to use your graduated neutral density filter.  It would have pulled the foreground out very nicely.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 11:28:51 PM »

Jim:  What terrific color.  This is a perfect place to use your graduated neutral density filter.  It would have pulled the foreground out very nicely.

OK, Ron, now I have to spend more money!! :) Guess that will be next on my to do list. Of course, you need to show me how to use it! ;D

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 01:21:05 PM »
Jim, It may not be too late to rescue the foregrounds of your pics--even though you didn't use a neutral density filter when capturing the image.

The "Shadow/Highlight" tool in PS-CS might be the easiest way to go.  Failing that you'd want to look into "contrast masking" or graduated filters in PS-7.

Ciao,

Doug

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »

OK, Ron, now I have to spend more money!! :) Guess that will be next on my to do list. Of course, you need to show me how to use it! ;D

Jim:  I thought you had already purchased one.  When you do, get a +4 or you might not notice a lot of difference.   When using this filter, you turn the grey portion to the light sky filtering it down.  The clear glass for the foreground.   Normally when shooting, you meter on the highlights.  In this case, meter the sky and the foreground and select what seems best.  Would probably be a good place to bracket your shots.  As most professionals will always tell you:  It is better to begin any image with good field work and use the editing software to enhance it.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:41:58 PM »
I say "Amen" to that, It is better to begin any image with good field work and use the editing software to enhance it., Ron.

Mind you, I always like to remind folks that Anselm Adams did a lot of post-capture work in the wet darkroom; admittedly, that was work he planned on doing even before he fired the shutter.  With digital, everything I read points to the need for post-processing even when you get it right in the camera--in much the same way that traditional wet-chemistry photography required post processing by virtue of either manipulations in the development of the negative or the management of the printing process.

But to come back to  your point: I agree that every effort needs to be made "to get it right" in the camera.

Ciao--and great to see your posts on the board.

Doug

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 12:03:37 AM »
Jim, It may not be too late to rescue the foregrounds of your pics--even though you didn't use a neutral density filter when capturing the image.

The "Shadow/Highlight" tool in PS-CS might be the easiest way to go.  Failing that you'd want to look into "contrast masking" or graduated filters in PS-7.

Ciao,

Doug

Doug,

Thanks, I'll take a look at those options and see what I can do.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 12:05:30 AM »
Hi Ron,

I'll have to pick one up. All I got was the Kenko extension tubes which are working great. Thanks for the additional info. Sure have lots to learn! :)

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 01:12:28 PM »
I say "Amen" to that, It is better to begin any image with good field work and use the editing software to enhance it., Ron.

Mind you, I always like to remind folks that Anselm Adams did a lot of post-capture work in the wet darkroom; admittedly, that was work he planned on doing even before he fired the shutter.  With digital, everything I read points to the need for post-processing even when you get it right in the camera--in much the same way that traditional wet-chemistry photography required post processing by virtue of either manipulations in the development of the negative or the management of the printing process.

But to come back to  your point: I agree that every effort needs to be made "to get it right" in the camera.

Ciao--and great to see your posts on the board.

Doug

Doug:  Not to really change the subject, but I am assuming the card you sent me contained one of your photos.  If so, It was stunning and beautifully presented.  Please confirm this information.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 01:14:52 PM »
Hi Ron,

I'll have to pick one up. All I got was the Kenko extension tubes which are working great. Thanks for the additional info. Sure have lots to learn! :)

Jim:  We all do.   :(
Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 07:47:05 PM »
Ron:

Doug:  Not to really change the subject, but I am assuming the card you sent me contained one of your photos.  If so, It was stunning and beautifully presented.  Please confirm this information.

Yes, it is one of my photos.  I'm an inveterate note writer and always use that form of picture note.  I do my best to select a photo of mine that seems to fit the situation--and all the better if I have a caption that works with both the photo and the situation :).

I'm glad the card produced that reaction--for me, IMHO, it was the right one for the situation.  And thank you for your kind assessment of it

Keep on getting better, my friend.

Doug

Hosted by Over The Network