Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
We did a day trip to Lancaster, CA where the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve is located. They advertise acres of poppies in the springtime. It was about a 75 mile drive. When we arrived the wind was so bad the poppies weren't open. There's a sign that tells you that in the gift shop, after you pay your entrance fee!!! It must be a gorgeous view when in full bloom. Anyone in the area in the next few weeks could have a colorful vista to see. Most of them seem to be the orange variety. I did get one photo of a mountainside from one of the vista points in the Reserve.

Attachments

• CRW_3302_RT8_2 (Small).jpg
    CRW_3302_RT8_2 (Small).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
Now that's a real beauty, Jim!  I would do a little enhancement of the foreground by increasing the color saturation of the beautiful red flowers.  Don't get em wrong, Jim, the picture is fantastic...I just get my jollies out of photo editing  ;D

Do you plan t print some of these beautiful pictures?

Steve said:
Now that's a real beauty, Jim!  I would do a little enhancement of the foreground by increasing the color saturation of the beautiful red flowers.  Don't get em wrong, Jim, the picture is fantastic...I just get my jollies out of photo editing  ;D

Do you plan t print some of these beautiful pictures?

Steve,

I agree the foreground needs some enhancement. Right now I don't have the expertise or time to do it but will be looking at it again in the future. I probably will print some of these someday. My problem, as you well know, is there isn't a lot of space to hang these in a coach. :)

{{I probably will print some of these someday. My problem, as you well know, is there isn't a lot of space to hang these in a coach}}

I understand the storage problem very well.  Even now that we have a home base, I'm reluctant to print because it's so convenient to show my pictures on the computer.  Slide shows with sound and commentary can be produced making a much more interesting display.

Jim Dick said:
We did a day trip to Lancaster, CA where the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve is located. They advertise acres of poppies in the springtime. It was about a 75 mile drive. When we arrived the wind was so bad the poppies weren't open. There's a sign that tells you that in the gift shop, after you pay your entrance fee!!! It must be a gorgeous view when in full bloom. Anyone in the area in the next few weeks could have a colorful vista to see. Most of them seem to be the orange variety. I did get one photo of a mountainside from one of the vista points in the Reserve.

Jim:  What terrific color.  This is a perfect place to use your graduated neutral density filter.  It would have pulled the foreground out very nicely.

Ron from Big D said:
Jim Dick said:

Jim:  What terrific color.  This is a perfect place to use your graduated neutral density filter.  It would have pulled the foreground out very nicely.

OK, Ron, now I have to spend more money!! :) Guess that will be next on my to do list. Of course, you need to show me how to use it! ;D

Jim, It may not be too late to rescue the foregrounds of your pics--even though you didn't use a neutral density filter when capturing the image.

The "Shadow/Highlight" tool in PS-CS might be the easiest way to go.  Failing that you'd want to look into "contrast masking" or graduated filters in PS-7.

Ciao,

Doug

Jim Dick said:
Ron from Big D said:
Jim Dick said:

Jim:? What terrific color.? This is a perfect place to use your graduated neutral density filter.? It would have pulled the foreground out very nicely.

OK, Ron, now I have to spend more money!! :) Guess that will be next on my to do list. Of course, you need to show me how to use it! ;D

Jim:  I thought you had already purchased one.  When you do, get a +4 or you might not notice a lot of difference.  When using this filter, you turn the grey portion to the light sky filtering it down.  The clear glass for the foreground.  Normally when shooting, you meter on the highlights.  In this case, meter the sky and the foreground and select what seems best.  Would probably be a good place to bracket your shots.  As most professionals will always tell you:  It is better to begin any image with good field work and use the editing software to enhance it.

I say "Amen" to that, It is better to begin any image with good field work and use the editing software to enhance it., Ron.

Mind you, I always like to remind folks that Anselm Adams did a lot of post-capture work in the wet darkroom; admittedly, that was work he planned on doing even before he fired the shutter.  With digital, everything I read points to the need for post-processing even when you get it right in the camera--in much the same way that traditional wet-chemistry photography required post processing by virtue of either manipulations in the development of the negative or the management of the printing process.

But to come back to  your point: I agree that every effort needs to be made "to get it right" in the camera.

Ciao--and great to see your posts on the board.

Doug

DougJ said:
Jim, It may not be too late to rescue the foregrounds of your pics--even though you didn't use a neutral density filter when capturing the image.

The "Shadow/Highlight" tool in PS-CS might be the easiest way to go.  Failing that you'd want to look into "contrast masking" or graduated filters in PS-7.

Ciao,

Doug

Doug,

Thanks, I'll take a look at those options and see what I can do.

Hi Ron,

I'll have to pick one up. All I got was the Kenko extension tubes which are working great. Thanks for the additional info. Sure have lots to learn! :)

DougJ said:
I say "Amen" to that, It is better to begin any image with good field work and use the editing software to enhance it., Ron.

Mind you, I always like to remind folks that Anselm Adams did a lot of post-capture work in the wet darkroom; admittedly, that was work he planned on doing even before he fired the shutter.? With digital, everything I read points to the need for post-processing even when you get it right in the camera--in much the same way that traditional wet-chemistry photography required post processing by virtue of either manipulations in the development of the negative or the management of the printing process.

But to come back to? your point: I agree that every effort needs to be made "to get it right" in the camera.

Ciao--and great to see your posts on the board.

Doug

Doug:  Not to really change the subject, but I am assuming the card you sent me contained one of your photos.  If so, It was stunning and beautifully presented.  Please confirm this information.

Ron:

Doug:  Not to really change the subject, but I am assuming the card you sent me contained one of your photos.  If so, It was stunning and beautifully presented.  Please confirm this information.

Yes, it is one of my photos.  I'm an inveterate note writer and always use that form of picture note.  I do my best to select a photo of mine that seems to fit the situation--and all the better if I have a caption that works with both the photo and the situation :).

I'm glad the card produced that reaction--for me, IMHO, it was the right one for the situation.  And thank you for your kind assessment of it

Keep on getting better, my friend.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom