Has anyone added a computer desk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMan508

Hello,

Wanted to know if people could suggest a good computer desk setup and/or manufacturer? If the RV has carpet under the dinette and you remove the dinette for a nice large computer desk, is the carpet usually custom cut around the dinette or does it sit on top of the carpet?

I really want to have my big two monitor computer system with me for stock trading while full-timing. I don't own the rig yet so suggestions for a computer-desk friendly rig would be great.

Thx
Eric

Browse this Remodeling Your RV board and you'll find lots of examples of what folks have done for a computer desk. Some were custom built, while others were purchased.

Several RV Forum members have had work done by Davis Cabinets in Junction City, Oregon. We had a desk made for our Country Coach and Shawn has done several modifications in our American Dream.

We had ours done by Davis Cabinets when the motorhome was new.  We were lucky that they could go over to Monaco while it was on the assembly line to measure the space and match wood, Corian, and hardware.  They did a beautiful job making sure the drawers were deep and all the way to the wall, the laptop drawer was intricately cut on an angle so the adjacent printer drawer could also hold a ream of paper, the Corian top comes off so you can get to wiring, the side cabinets along the outside wall can also handle a tower if someone wants a desktop instead of a laptop, etc.  There's a lot more to designing a functional computer desk than meets the eye.  Their experience paid off because they thought of a couple of things we hadn't even considered.  We're very pleased with ours.

ArdraF

I removed my dinette and the carpeting underneath it.  I replaced the carpet with a laminate wood floor and replaced the dinette with a large wooden roll-top desk that runs front to back.  I bought a computer type chair for sitting at the desk when working.

I removed a useless little corner table that was adjacent to the recliner and built in a computer desk, which I made myself (woodworking is a hobby of mine). It's in a corner of one of the living area slides.  The wood is cherry veneer and the top is corian.

Attachments

• Computer desk-1 (Small).JPG
    Computer desk-1 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 572
Luca1369 said:
I removed my dinette and the carpeting underneath it.  I replaced the carpet with a laminate wood floor and replaced the dinette with a large wooden roll-top desk that runs front to back.  I bought a computer type chair for sitting at the desk when working.

This is exactly what I think I will have to do.  How hard is it to remove a dinette and prep a floor for non-carpet?  Are these usually modular (meaning whatever is next to the dinette is not dependent on the dinette to hold something up). Where do full-timers do their own work on rigs? Many of the campgrounds I stayed in have signs stating that you can't do work there. There will always be debris and noise.

I would love to see more pictures of what people have come up with. Gary's desk looks very nice but I have two 24" LCD monitors connected to my computer so my desk will have to be wider. Nice use of space Gary.

Thx
Eric

I removed my dinette and put a carpet down. Removing it was time consuming. Tiffin uses a lot of screws to hold things together. The only tool I used was a 1/4" square head screwdriver, which is the screw of choice for Tiffin. I went to Walmart and for $20 bought a 5'x7' plain brown carpet and laid it on the floor. I didn't do anything to prepare the floor, it was in fine shape.

I removed the dinette because seating for four is a total waste of time when you live alone.

I went to Walmart and spent another $20 on a plastic 3 drawer cabinet about 30 inches high, 30 inches wide and a foot deep. I put a nice place mat on top and that is my computer table. I then went to Walmart and bought a $15 folding chair. Not the classiest set up you will ever see, but very functional and cheap.

EMan508 said:
How hard is it to remove a dinette and prep a floor for non-carpet?  Are these usually modular (meaning whatever is next to the dinette is not dependent on the dinette to hold something up). Where do full-timers do their own work on rigs? Many of the campgrounds I stayed in have signs stating that you can't do work there. There will always be debris and noise.

Removing the dinette table was not a problem, the track on the wall that remained is hidden by the desk.  Removing the carpet could have been easier but Fleetwood used so many staples in the carpet that I spent an hour just removing them.  The seats for the dinette took some dismantling and some woodwork to cover the area on the front and rear walls where the dinette seats were located.  There was a lot of debris, but I was lucky in that somebody came over and wanted my old dinette pieces and hauled it off for me.

EMan508,

Earlier in this post ArdraF told you about our computer desk.  Here is a photo of it.

JerryF

Attachments

• Desk -03 (LG).JPG
    Desk -03 (LG).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 558
Note the "mouse house" on the right!  ;)  The louvered cabinets are where we store electronic "stuff" for phones and cameras and computers, but inside it would fit a tower on the floor.

ArdraF

Here's what we did to replace the booth dinette.  The table is pulled out and the desk is 80"x30".  It would easily hold your dual monitors.  The right pedestal has a door and 3 pull out trays for printer, scanner, and other electronics.  There is a topic elsewhere that has more pictures and details.

Attachments

• Desk and Table (Medium).jpg
    Desk and Table (Medium).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 453
All very nice, and all very creative.

Here is what we did.  We removed the love seat couch and put this computer desk in that we built

Attachments

• rv.computerdesk.1.jpg
    rv.computerdesk.1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 395
  • rv.computerdesk.2.jpg
    rv.computerdesk.2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 280
  • rv.computerdesk.3.jpg
    rv.computerdesk.3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 380
Hi,
I took a different approach since we still use the table for the two of us and I didn't want to give up the storage under the seats. My set up would work for one person with the large monitors.
We keep the printer in the bedroom (wireless); and I'll be the first to admit that the "shelf" collects stuff, but it has worked well for us.
I installed a 600W inverter under the left side with a DPDT switch (center off) to select between the inverter, OFF, and house power. An outlet strip is inset on the back of the shelf and storage bins are behind the doors on either side (above the seats).
Just another option!!
Ernie

Attachments

• DeskSmall1272.jpg
    DeskSmall1272.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 418
Our class C doesn't have the room other MHs may have so I couldn't get quite so elaborate.  However, since it is just the two of us (most of the time) and getting in and out of the typical booth style dinette isn't fun, here's what I did.  The extended table stows against the wall under the counter when not needed.  The counter makes a nice computer desk as well as a place for Ditto to lay and look out the window (note towel on counter).

Attachments

• 2011-07-27-19-56-16 f.jpg
    2011-07-27-19-56-16 f.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 408
We didn't have a booth, but replaced an unused sofabed with this. If it looks familiar, it was inspired by Jerry & Ardra's desk and cabinet addition, but flipped 180 degrees (i.e. on the opposite side of the coach). Over time, the carpet depression virtually disappeared, and the "light" cherry naturally darkened to match the medium cherry color of the existing cabinets.

If I had Gary's woodworking skills, I'd have built something myself for a lot less money.

Ned has a really nice (and big) desk, built by a talented relative.

Sure are a lot of very creative people here!  They all look great.  I think Neds setup is exactly what I was looking for.  I can easily fit all my existing gear on it.  Now I need to find creative way to bring my 42" LCD TV with me!

Ned, I'll try to track down the other data you mentioned. Has anyone ever found a store bought design like Neds?

Thank you everyone! 

Eric

Not exactly like Ned's, but ours was store bought.  We removed both the couch and the dinette booth.  We purchased a six foot wide computer desk from Oak Wherehouse in Des Moines along with a two foot wide matching oak pendaflex file cabinet, giving us 8 total feet of usable flat surface.  We loved it!  I can't post a picture because we have since sold the motorhome.  Instead of the couch, we bought an Ecornes type recliner with footstool.  We didn't miss the table at all and were content to eat with foldable oak tv trays. 

You must measure carefully to make sure that a store bought unit fits through the door.  Tom removed the door hardware and we still only had about 1/16" clearance on either side.  We met the Oak Wherehouse people in a large shopping center parking lot.  They moved the desk into the motorhome almost horizontally from the bed of a pickup.

Margi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom