EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Has anyone added a computer desk?  (Read 24987 times)

Trivet

• ---
Re: Has anyone added a computer desk?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 03:35:54 pm »
Ours is a setup that won't work with most RVs, but it might give inspiration for thinking outside the box.  The queen bed in the rear of our 40-foot motorhome now rises to perpendicular, from the head instead of the foot, and a desk cantilevers out from under it.  Holds a computer CPU and three monitors and assorted junk that I am assured is vital.

Here are some photos and an animation of how it works:  http://debcar.com/rvinfo.htm#OFFICE

And here is a report on how it was designed and built:  http://debcar.com/Story0303DVI2c.htm

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 08:06:18 am »
I used a piece of oak 1/2" plywood...sanded and Verathaned. Added 2 "L" brackets the the long side and made adapting hardware to a wall that we had space on. This way were are able to just slide it into the brackets on the wall and screw on a couple pvc legs to the front of the plywood. When we are done...unscrew the legs...pull the top from the wall and store it under the bed.
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/Montana 3670RL

Carmine

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 08:28:17 am »
Trivet that is very very creative!! I guarantee  your idea will be pick up buy a manufacture and added as an option.

I just can't get over your vision and what you have done, and you now have a private office so others can use the front of the coach while you work.

Best mod i have ever seen!

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:48 pm »
Trivet that is very very creative!! I guarantee  your idea will be pick up buy a manufacture and added as an option.

Can't remember the manufacturer - possibly a Fleetwood Storm, had just that in a model I saw in the late 90's at an RV show at CalExpo in Sacramento. The queen, or maybe it was a double, folded up into the rear bulkhead. The folded office desk was under the bed and rose up as the bed was raised.

At the time I was trying to decide the best way to have a real office in an RV vs. using my dinette. And was at a point of buying a new RV. I really liked the idea, but was concerned about how long it would take to set and break down the office. The desk was not the problem. It was the stuff one needs in an office, and stowing and unstowing time required. I run my business and need several computers networked - plus printer, scanner, et. al. For this reason I decided against that rig.

Several years later I asked about how that setup was doing - and was told they discontinued the model because few sales resulted for the same reasons I doubted it would work for me. I figured converting each night for me would most likely last a couple of days - then I would tire of it and wind up sleeping on my couch every night instead. And I "did" actually consider that because a bedroom to me is wasted space anyway.

My current office pic is posted earlier in this topic.
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

johntaves

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 04:07:01 pm »
If you are going to build a cool desk you should build in the right computer. It should be silent, very low power, and small enough to mount in some place where you won't see it. It should drive at least 2 monitors. A laptop will not be good enough. Laptops clutter the desk, aren't bolted down, and make noise. Yes, I am being a perfectionist.

The photo shows a computer that is similar to the one I mounted under my desk at home. The idea is to mount this under or inside the RV desk. Don't buy one of those metal computer cases. They only consume space, power, and make fan noise.

This motherboard is an Intel DQ77KB (mini-itx form factor). It takes 19v DC in. It should be easy to find a 12v DC to 19v adapter to run it from the battery of the RV, but an A/C brick power supply that has no moving parts, thus no noise, is easy enough to find (logicsupply.com).

The cpu can be an i3, i5, or i7 and there are some of these that use a maximum of 35w. Mine is the i3-2100T which is plenty of speed for almost anything. The fan that you see is the only moving part. It cools the CPU, but since the CPU hardly heats up, the fan spins slowly. I cannot hear it unless I get under the desk to listen. The disk is an SSD (intel 330), so it is silent, fast, and low power. These disks come in a mSata chip that plugs into the motherboard, so the ugly cables you see in the photo would disappear if I had bought that type. The computer boots from off to useful in 14 seconds.

I have a portable external DVD player that I can plug in whenever I need it. You should be able to find an "internal" type dvd player and then mount that somewhere that allows you to get to it without seeing it much.

There are LCD monitors that are very thin and take 19v DC in. I have not looked in earnest to find one that has a removable stand so that it can be put onto a monitor arm, but I am sure they exist.

The other thing I need to find are the momentary switches and LEDs that comprise the front panel. The desk will have a switch mounted somewhere handy and hidden to turn the thing on/off, and there will be an LED that shows me when it is on.

Get a wireless keyboard and mouse so that there are no wires to ugly the setup.

Regarding the printer: it makes noise, is bulky, and eats trees. Go paperless.

jt

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:07 pm »

I just can't get over your vision and what you have done, and you now have a private office so others can use the front of the coach while you work.

Best mod i have ever seen!

Thanks for the props!  The vertical bed makes an excellent wall, and if there's still too much racket in the front, there's another door that can close the bedroom off completely.

It takes about 30 seconds to set it up or put it down.  Really, the biggest problem is that you have to make the bed first.   :)   The only things that ever get moved are the three monitors (laying them down or standing them up) and the chair.  Everything else on the desk stays right where it is even when traveling, even the loose items like pencil cups, staplers, stereo speakers, model cars, a joystick. 

But I don't think it would be a popular option.  We have it because we need this computer and three monitors to do the programming and testing for vehicle simulators--definitely a special case.  Most people don't need a "real" office like that, especially with everybody using laptops these days.  And you have to be pretty spry to get in and out of it because the chair sits on the engine cover.  But it works splendidly for us. 

And johntaves, you'd have a heart attack if you saw what's on there now.  The computer takes up an entire corner of the desk, is the biggest power hog on the planet, runs hotter than a pistol, has a rat's nest of dust-collecting wires, and is incredibly loud (mainly because of the two fans on it, one of which glows blue).  It does have a wireless keyboard and mouse, though.  Yay.

johntaves

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:34 pm »
Trivet, I sort of assumed that was the case. The three monitors do not look like light, thin, DC powered units, so I figured that there was a loud beast under the desk too. Doing 3-d simulations might require some cool graphics card, and that card might be a power pig, but I would bet that there's no reason you can't upgrade to a quiet DC powered board. 3 new killer monitors, motherboard, RAM, CPU, and graphics card might be $1500. This is a serious skeleton in your closet. The desk is so cool and well done, and the computer so hideous that the whole thing is tainted. It's a bit like Lance Armstrong. 7 tour de France victories, beat cancer, wow what a guy! Oh, oops, he was on roids. Damn.

Why exactly is your pistol so hot?

jt

ticat900

• ---
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »
We had ours done by Davis Cabinets when the motorhome was new.  We were lucky that they could go over to Monaco while it was on the assembly line to measure the space and match wood, Corian, and hardware.  They did a beautiful job making sure the drawers were deep and all the way to the wall, the laptop drawer was intricately cut on an angle so the adjacent printer drawer could also hold a ream of paper, the Corian top comes off so you can get to wiring, the side cabinets along the outside wall can also handle a tower if someone wants a desktop instead of a laptop, etc.  There's a lot more to designing a functional computer desk than meets the eye.  Their experience paid off because they thought of a couple of things we hadn't even considered.  We're very pleased with ours.
ArdraF

BUT?? Yes they do fantastic work for sure  but also  Very very exspensive.I hazard a guess at 4K plus just for your new monaco mod??(or more)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:01:07 am by ticat900 »

lisabrokenstone

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 04:34:57 am »
My rig is still in a scatter brained assortment of epiphanies, finished masterpieces, and works in progress.
With this said, My setup is my 15" dell lcd with quick release from the stand (for safety in transport on those forest service roads) ((ten bucks as is @ sedona goodwill, one of my fav thrift shops)), mounted from the overhead shelf in front of of my little closet at the driver side rear of my house, facing towards passenger side 2nd row seat, but facing backwards, and I lay back with a wireless kb and mouse.
Oh, and by the way, my house is a United States version, so the driver side is the to the left.
Sorry, I just wanted to clarify that.

Thank you all for your posting.
Some one, please explain to me, why is it, that even when I'm boondockin' for a few weeks (I like to stay for the full 14 days, thank you, it helps increase my fun factor and also helps defray my fuel costs), I still have to get a dose of internet every couple days?

Happy Trails,
Lisa

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 04:21:28 pm »
Here is a store bought solution (actually, purchased online and shipped to the RV park for assembly)....

We don't have sleepover guests for the sleeper sofa, Christi didn't like how it held her long frame, and she was tired of three years full timing and not having her dining room table to use.

Before, during, and after pictures!

We are all much happier now... 8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:23:00 pm by skyking4ar2 »
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Fairmont Hot Springs RV Resort, Fairmont Hot Springs, BC

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 05:01:28 pm »
We had Davis Cabinets make a combination desk and pullout table. It also has a custom-made dog house, removable if desired for file space or other use. (BTW the MH is for sale; ad on for sale board.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:04:00 pm by Pierat »
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 12:43:50 am »
skyking4ar2, how do you keep the keyboard tray from coming open when you're driving?  My motorhome came with something similar in the living room, a keyboard tray with a drawer underneath, and I have to tie the handle to a nearby door handle to keep it from sliding out.  Have you found a more elegant solution? 

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 07:47:53 am »
My tray is a relatively tight fit and does not pop out easily. Also, the way mine closes, you could easily mount small,  flat magnets to hold the drawer.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Fairmont Hot Springs RV Resort, Fairmont Hot Springs, BC

EMan508

• ---
  • 2003 Winnie Adventurer 35U, Honda CRV,
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
I would like to know if after removing the couch and perhaps the dinette and installing a custom desk/recliner area was it more difficult to sell the RV? I'd like to go from couch/dinette to L-shaped work desk and recliner but wonder what will happen to the value and ease of selling the RV in the future.

-Eric

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:34 pm »
Quick answer.... For the buyer who says it's the cats meow but won't pay extra.

For the other buyer who says shucks I wanted a couch..probably won't buy.

Money ?  Big question-mark.  Do it and enjoy your desk, that's worth something.

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 06:11:52 pm »
We removed table and chairs from our Luxor and replaced with this; bought a section of wood counter top and a pull-out cabinet from IKEA. Cheap and easy, doesn't stick out into the walkway as much. It gives more room to eat and now we can look out the window at the world. Clean the dishes off and the computer comes out of the cabinet and takes its place up top.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Scott-0168

• ---
  • Married
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 08:30:17 am »

How did you locate the studs in the walls to fasten your new cabinets?

Scott  :)
Home State- Michigan
Winter home-Arcadia, Florida
Motor Home-2003 Pace Arrow 37A
USN-Vietnam Vet.

Old Car Guy

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:30 pm »
If you are going to build a cool desk you should build in the right computer. It should be silent, very low power, and small enough to mount in some place where you won't see it. It should drive at least 2 monitors. A laptop will not be good enough. Laptops clutter the desk, aren't bolted down, and make noise. Yes, I am being a perfectionist.

The photo shows a computer that is similar to the one I mounted under my desk at home. The idea is to mount this under or inside the RV desk. Don't buy one of those metal computer cases. They only consume space, power, and make fan noise.

This motherboard is an Intel DQ77KB (mini-itx form factor). It takes 19v DC in. It should be easy to find a 12v DC to 19v adapter to run it from the battery of the RV, but an A/C brick power supply that has no moving parts, thus no noise, is easy enough to find (logicsupply.com).

The cpu can be an i3, i5, or i7 and there are some of these that use a maximum of 35w. Mine is the i3-2100T which is plenty of speed for almost anything. The fan that you see is the only moving part. It cools the CPU, but since the CPU hardly heats up, the fan spins slowly. I cannot hear it unless I get under the desk to listen. The disk is an SSD (intel 330), so it is silent, fast, and low power. These disks come in a mSata chip that plugs into the motherboard, so the ugly cables you see in the photo would disappear if I had bought that type. The computer boots from off to useful in 14 seconds.

I have a portable external DVD player that I can plug in whenever I need it. You should be able to find an "internal" type dvd player and then mount that somewhere that allows you to get to it without seeing it much.

There are LCD monitors that are very thin and take 19v DC in. I have not looked in earnest to find one that has a removable stand so that it can be put onto a monitor arm, but I am sure they exist.

The other thing I need to find are the momentary switches and LEDs that comprise the front panel. The desk will have a switch mounted somewhere handy and hidden to turn the thing on/off, and there will be an LED that shows me when it is on.

Get a wireless keyboard and mouse so that there are no wires to ugly the setup.

Regarding the printer: it makes noise, is bulky, and eats trees. Go paperless.

jt

That is a clever idea.
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.” - Marcus Aurelius

eric2015

• ---
  • Action speak louder than words
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 06:51:52 pm »

I really want to have my big two monitor computer system with me for stock trading while full-timing.

I will add a computer desk by custom maked. BTW, will trading be safe in the US while fulltiming by using the Public network?
Eric
--------------
Was a Led Engineer for 12vonline and now ready to move to California
Looking for brand new fifth-wheels any ideas?

Lee and Trace

• ---
  • Full Timers since November 2014
    • Travel Tales from Rookie Full Timers
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:43 am »
We are in a front living room model.  WE removed one of the couches and my husband built a desk from a custom cut piece of counter top from home depot and filing cabinets from staples with customer wood fronts placed on them. 

Trace
2014 Open Range 386 FLR pulled by a Ford 350 4x2 dually

www.camperchronicles.com

CLiNTon

• ---
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 04:07:11 pm »
I'm currently using this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D8VFE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem are the wheels, they're cheap, but you can easily find replacements from any local Walmart.
The desk itself is sturdy and weighs in around 40lbs.
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel
2013 Shadow Cruiser S225RBS from Cruiser RV

carolm

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2016, 08:03:07 pm »
I've been trying to figure this out too.  Finally came up with the answer. Spiderlegs Folding Laptop Desk.  I found it on Amazon, but then I found the actual website for the guy who makes them.  He can do all kinds of custom stuff.  The desk top is 25 x 16, but we wanted it 25 x 19 so the keyboard could also fit on there.  For only a few dollars more he made it that size.  It folds down so easily and we use Command Tabs (and 2 plastic "hooks") --  my husband figured out where on the back side of the desk to stick the hooks, and then attached the command strips to the wall -- they are called "bundlers - cord organization".  The desk folds down (like spider legs) and then we attach it to the wall when we travel.  When we get there, it pops up and sits either up front by the passenger seat -- or in front of the sofa.  It's pefect!  The guy also makes coffee tables and all kinds of furniture that pops up.  Perfect for Rvs.  Each one is made at the time you order, so it takes a week or a little longer before he ships it from California.  I hope this info helps others, as I looked a long time to find something.
His website is:
http://spiderlegs.com/

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:49 am »
I built one in, where the coach used to have a cutesy little corner shelf/cabinet. It's next to my recliner, so all I have to do is swivel 90 degrees to the tube.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summer: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 10:00:16 am »
I'm fortunate that everything I need to do can be handled by a good laptop. I don't store or send paper (print to PDF is a wonderful thing) and seldom need to scan documents (in a pinch a decent usb or phone camera can make do).
I can work from the dinette, but I found this little folding porta-desk at Walgreens a few years ago for twenty bucks and it's worked out just great. I can use it inside from a comfy chair but prefer to set up shop outdoors whenever possible.
When I need a second monitor I use the TV.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##36 States So Far...##

Jwall62

• ---
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 09:03:17 pm »
I just turn my dinette table 90 degrees keeping one post in and a file box on the right bench seat to keep it level, I run a laptop with 2 screens , full size wireless keyboard and mouse. I got a small office chair on wheels and it fits perfectly between the benches. It takes about 3 minutes to set up and take down.  The chair stores under my couch when not being used or I have it bungee corded to the leg of the table if I want to travel and leave it up.
2016 Coleman 192RDS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71

HVN FN

• ---
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »
Nice setup!!!

Wow, this looks great!!!
Lori, Ralph, & Loki

2006 Allegro Bus 42QDP
Polaris Slingshot (Toad)

teddykiss459

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »
We have been traveling for 14 months in our Class A RV and are working full-time while on the road. We built a full custom office in the rear of our RV. It cost a few thousand dollars but has been worth every penny. I have a computer with four monitors, a UPS and printer. It is an awesome setup. I also have a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Everything is bolted down so nothing moves when we are traveling. It has been quite the adventure, tons of fun but it sure is a steep learning curve. Our RV is currently for sale but you can see pictures of our custom setup. Click this link to see our setup.

Edit: Replaced link to ad with link to photo.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:37:00 am by Tom »

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 01:56:34 pm »
teddykiss459, where's the bed? 

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2017, 03:29:46 pm »
I removed my dinette which was super simple but frustrating. Why so many mismatched screws keystone? Why?!

Carpet was the same underneath. Only issue I had was some wood strip that went down the side of the slide stopped at the dinette bench. So there's a gap now but to not really a big deal. If you have a border or something that may happen to you as well.

I used an ikea desk bc it's lightweight and inexpensive yet durable. So if I want to redecorate I can and if I want to keep it it will last. I added wooden crates from michaels for storage and decoration. When I travel I just flip them on their side and everything stays put. I use a little laptop bench to elevate my computer.
2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »
I also replaced my heavy traditional type desk with a lightweight simple desk.

Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

Hosted by Over The Network