2000 wini battery issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSSKOBRET

i charged my chassis battery and now i have the following problems
no voltage shown on panel for engine batt, house batt shows voltage as it should.
no lights when checking tank levels
step goes out when door is opened, does not retract when closed,it does go in when engine starts
i have checked fuses and breakers and nothing is tripped

any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated

2000 wini 35 u on ford chassis

When I have strange or missing displays on the panel I unplug the panel from the inverter for 30+ seconds. Most of the time that will correct the display as it re-sets the board. Mine is connected by an Ethernet type cable (looks like large phone line). Disconnect either end ... at the back of the board or at the inverter.  OR you may not have got everything reconnected to the battery you charged.

Step issue sounds like the step out/in switch got flipped. What you describe is normal operation for my step depending on position of the switch and ignition key together.

would the board reset if batt. cables where removed for charging, also there are no connections at batt. other than large batt. cables, this is what has me confused

i have poured over those docs a bunch of times, its gotta be something simple im missing .
i just hope that someone out there has come across a similare issue and has a solution, i have also heard that on some systems there is a reset switch but yet been able to locate such a item

On my 03 the step and other things get power from multiple sources as needed so it's kind of hard to troubleshoot as things starting acting crazy. This is why I also think you dropped a wire off the battery somewhere. I have multiple sizes of connections on both battery banks and it is easy to drop one off the back with the trays pulled out. Since everything worked fine before I would pull the trays out (if you have that style) and look behind from underneath to see if you find a loose wire that you might have missed. I'm assuming you unhooked or removed the battery to charge so this would be the easiest solution.
I have a common terminal for some cables and also a fuse block but it doesn't sound like you had any of that apart. I can't think of any other reset besides the normal breakers, etc that you have checked. Good luck.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Mavarick.  I would check your chassis battery wiring starting at the chassis battery bank battery terminals.  Take a wrench to every connection that you can see and tighten even if it looks tight.

would the board reset if batt. cables where removed for charging
Don't know ...when I have had to re-set mine, I pulled the ethernet plug at either end.

I have to believe as the others who have commented that you missed a line when you reconnected the battery bank. 'Course my coach is different, but mine has all kinds a small leads connecting along with the large battery cables.

The only other wires i have in batt. box are paired into the negative terminal an chassis batt., they are a bonded connection. all my other mh had multiple wires , i thought at first it was a neet feature of winnebago but now i dont think its so neat.  ;D
is it possible its a faulty breaker behind panel at steps and how would i check it without damaging other circuts. auto electrical has always confused me a bit

My wiring is going to be slightly different than yours but the troubleshooting will be the same. It is almost always caused by the last repair that took place (charging battery) but if you?re sure there is nothing missed then you have to find the common denominator of the things not working or trace the power source backwards of each component.
My next guess would be to trace out the neg or pos cables from the chassis battery. If you have a breaker or such it should be somewhat close and this will also let you know a cable didn?t come apart or come loose at the other end either. Check the ground conn at the frame also.
Assuming the step problem is not caused from switch position the only other common location for both battery banks I can think of are the solenoids for the coach power and the MOM switch to jump the batteries together. This is where your chassis battery should also end up at. My panel lights etc are on my house batteries and my step operation gets power from both banks depending on which side of the circuit you are looking at (normal operation or ign close). The step is controlled by a 6a breaker that is also tied into the dash and the basement lights etc. This side of the circuit might give you problems with the tank lights but I would also think it would affect your dash and other things.
I'm confused by the things not working assuming everything else is normal. Missing display for eng battery but house ok and step extend but won't retract. On mine these would both point to chassis battery disconnected but I would also have many other problems. Do you have anything else not working that might give you more of a lead?

No the wiered thing is that when the trouble first started when i would open door step would extend,shut door it would stay extended but after about ten minutes or so it would retract. now step stays out untill i turn ignition on,at that time my engine batt meter would show random nubers kinda like a countdown, but that was very short lived and now i have nothine on engine batt. meter or tank sensors i have also come to the conclusion that my solar is not charging since i have a considerable drop in house battery voltage but the solar light is lit on my panel. so the juice either way coming or going is hitting a road block somewhere

It sounds like a ground is missing.  Look around very carefully for a wire that either got left off or possibly broke off.  Also make sure that the ground cables are hooked up properly.  It is possible that one ground path has been left out.

No the wiered thing is that when the trouble first started when i would open door step would extend,shut door it would stay extended but after about ten minutes or so it would retract. now step stays out untill i turn ignition on
Ok, this could be just the door magnet switch out of adjustment. If the step does not retract the safety will close it when the ign is turned on. This side of the step circuit is usually powered by the engine battery. The step operation with the control switch is usually powered by the house batteries. Look in the door jam and you should see the magnet & switch. Are both battery banks above 12v? Low voltage will make the step intermittent also. I know you just charged one but verify it is still up to par.
i have also come to the conclusion that my solar is not charging since i have a considerable drop in house battery voltage but the solar light is lit on my panel. so the juice either way coming or going is hitting a road block somewhere
Check the voltage at the house battery and remove the solar wire to see if you see a difference. It could be charging fine but if you have an amp draw greater then the solar charger it will still discharge. If you suspect a large amp draw check it with a VOM. They are good up to around 10a DC hooked between the pos cable and pos battery terminal. What is the voltage at the house battery? If this is really low it could be your tank light and panel problem. I know you just charged the batteries but it is starting to sound like low voltage problems maybe. You've checked all the cables and grounds so I would recheck the voltage on both battery banks.

Back
Top Bottom