Trailer Life or Woodalls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

Which one to buy? If I remember correctly, the Woodalls is divided in East-West so we can cut it in two to make it more manageable.  We're looking for an old-fashioned paper book.

Pros and cons of each?  Votes?

Elly

Elly, that's definitely a 'Ford or Chevy' question  ;D

We carry both, but I usually find what we need in Woodall's. There are definitely some listings in one that are not in the other, and vice versa.

And Elly, don't forget http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
and Passport America pays for itself quickly http://passportamerica.com/campgrounds/

Elly, we happen to prefer The Trailer Life Directory for its layout and coverage.  We bought several Woodalls in the past and just couldn't get what "we" needed from them.  Other people prefer Woodalls.  I think they may both have the same owner now so it may be a moot question in the future.  With the economic downturn we've had several campground owners and managers survey their customers wanting to know which directory people use because they had to cut one or the other advertising budget.  Many people don't realize that none of the directories is all-inclusive because campground owners pay to have their entries in the directories.  We've found some nice places that weren't in either one because they were small and advertising space was too expensive for them.  We found those campgrounds through brochures at state visitor centers as we entered the state in which they were located.

Either directory has thousands of listings in every state, Canada, and Mexico so you need to look at a copy of each to see which one best suits your needs.  By the way, I still prefer paper copies myself, especially when you're looking for campgrounds in an area where you could be in several states.  For example, near Washington D.C. you have Virginia and Maryland.  Near Pittsburgh you have Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, and Ohio.  I like to be able to put markers at places in each state and go back and forth visually.  Sometimes it requires a lot of juggling to get closest to where you want to go!

ArdraF

I tried to get a copy of Woodalls once. They couldn't seem to figure out how to get it in the mail to me. We checked addresses and zip codes and all kinds of things. Bottom line they eventually decided to refund my money and blame the post office for all the errors. Kind of turned me off to Woodalls. Everyone else in the world seems to be able to get mail to me.

Trailer Life was able to get a copy of their book delivered the first time. We use it when we need it, but second the RV Park Reviews site as a great way to find a place to stay.

Ken

We've always bought Woodall's, Marlene prefers having 2 separate books rather than one large clumsy book for the whole US. She also feels more comfortable with the listings format in Woodall's compared to TL. That said, more and more campgrounds are dropping their listings because of the cost factor. The two directories have both been owned by the Affinity group of companies for many years now, tho the listings and format has continued to differ. I believe that Affinity has announced that they will be dropping the print versions of both, continuing on only with internet versions.

I don't think I've looked at our paper copy of Woodall's for a couple of years now. I go online to the website and search there as well as Passport America's site and others.

I liked TL because of the ratings - Woodalls, it seemed to me told you what "features" a campground had but nothing about it quality.

Haven't bought a paper copy in a decade or so.  rvparkreview and POI factory.

Joel

We've stopped getting the paper Trailer Life Directory and just use the CD version.  It installs to the computer and contains all the information that's in the book, as well as being a mapping program.  It's easy to go to a location and see all the listed campgrounds on the display.  Of course, it only shows those that have paid for the listing, just like the book.

Thanks all so far.
We are now a member of Passport America but we don't often stay in the fancy parks, we like camping in nature, but they are handy when laundry needs to be done. What we liked about the TL is that even State and Regional parks are mentioned but we don't know if Woodalls has the same.
Ned: It seems that only Good Sam sells this CD. Does that mean that it shows only Good Sam campgrounds? Does it show State and Regional/Municipal parks as well as private campgrounds?
Adra: Good idea to use the info centers to find campgrounds. Thanks!
Bob: I also love www.rvparkreviews.com (as well as the site that reviews RV repairs places).

BTW Amazon can ship the Woodalls but TL is only on pre-order.

Thanks for answers so far!

Elly

Elly, the CD version has exactly the same listings as the book.  It has state and national parks.

Ned said:
Elly, the CD version has exactly the same listings as the book.  It has state and national parks.
It seems to have most public campgrounds or, at least, many of them.  I know there are a lot of little town parks and county parks listed that most assuredly do not pay for the listing.

As usual your advise has really helped. I will be ordering the CD. Thanks to all for your suggestions especially about the small town fair grounds. We love staying in places like that!

Elly

For the west coast we really like the Moon Outdoor West Coast RV Camping guide, ISBN 978-1-59880-162-0. It's crammed with good info for Washington, Oregon and CA. It includes a lot of smaller places and includes max space lengths so you can decide if your rig will fit...

That sounds like a great resource for the west coast. We hope to drive down the entire coast this fall and that would have great info. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the new merged edition will be out?  Is it worth it to buy the 2012 of each now or wait for the new edition?
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom