Fleetwood Tioga Montara Wont start - fuel pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triiko

After sitting for a year, I am unable to start my 95 Tioga. It is a Ford chassis with a 460. Spark is good yet no fuel it seems. The tank is full. Energency cut off switch is okay also. Any suggestions of how I can troubleshoot the fuel system. My guess is the fuel pump is frozen up but I'd like some experience before I assume that it's shot. Thanks!

triiko said:
Any suggestions of how I can troubleshoot the fuel system.

To properly test the fuel pressure you need to attach a pressure gauge to the port on the fuel rail. If I recall right, it should read 40 psi minimum for a Ford 460. You should check for the specs on your specific engine.

BTW, if this is the original fuel pump and it is not equipped with the new design fuel pump, it is past due for replacement with the new pump.

Richard

Just guessing... I presume we are talking about a standard throttle carburetor.

If not and if it is a TBI injection system (Throttle Body Injection) there may be another problem.

If so, I may be able to give some unsolicited advise.  (From a GM TBI system).

Carson FL

That vintage of Ford fuel pump is notorious for failures - if it has never been replaced, it is probably time.  I would start by simply disconnecting the fuel line at the carb or TBI inlet and see if fuel pumps with the key on.

Have somebody stand next to the fuel tank then turn on the ignition. The person standing there should be able to hear the pump as it charges the fuel system.
Is there voltage to the fuel pump?

I always try the simple stuff first

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom