Travel around the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamestra

I am in the process of plan a trip around Gaspe Peninsula for 6 rigs including four class A?s 40?+ all with toads.  What we would like to do is to try to see some of the sights while in route to our next campground. My questions are as follows:
1. are  some or all of the rest areas shown on the map RV friendly (the map I have of the area is the Gaspesie carte routiere map for 2010-12) we are looking for places to stop for coffee breaks, lunch, taking pictures etc. If only some are RV friendly any that you know of would certainly make planning this trip a lot easier
2. the same question for lighthouses and finally
3. any recommendations for campgrounds.
Thanks in advance.
Michael

It has been quite a few years since we have RV'd along the Gaspe, but if you do a search of previous posts you will get many hits of several forum members who have written about their trips through the Gaspe, Marsha and Betty Brewer have well documented their trips on the way to the Maritimes.  You will find the pace slow, the people very friendly, there will be lots of RV parks.  However, since it is in rural Quebec, many people even in the tourist areas who cannot speak English, however, they will try to accommodate through sign language.
    Here are a couple of web sites, in English from the Province of Quebec.
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/accueil0.html
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/gaspesie0.html

Ed

My one recommendation is to go in a clockwise direction.  The reason is that going counter-clockwise might make your passenger have sweaty palms.  The road is good but it follows the shoreline and some of the dropoffs might make people who don't like heights wish they were elsewhere!  I drove it all (clockwise!) with a 40-ft motorhome and toad.  There are lots of ups and downs.  It used to be that the little fishing villages could only be accessed by boat.  Now there is a road but it goes down a hill to a village and then up the other side to the next ridge and then down to the next village.  Take your time because it's not a fast-driving road.  Most of the towns have little parks where you can stop.

We stayed for several days at the Indian Head Campground at Perce.  At that time (2006) the owner was an American who told us places where they spoke English and gave us lots of other good information.  The museum, a national facility, was disappointing because we were told all signs were in French even though it is a bilingual country.  We decided to pass that by.  The boat tour was quite interesting.

By the way, this was our third attempt at exploring the Gaspe.  The first two times the weather was so bad we wouldn't have seen anything and decided to wait for another time.  They get a lot of fog in that area, so it might be good to have a backup plan.  We were glad we waited because we had fabulous weather and it was beautiful.

ArdraF

While the Federal Government provides bilingual services, it is only in Marc and my home Province that bilingualism is offered at the local level, and the majority speak both English and French.  Quebec is not only officially French, politically they are adamantly so.  For example, no English on their traffic signs, if it appears on a commercial sign, there are rules as to where and the size allowed, etc.  Yet large area of the south shore of the St Lawrence, including the Gaspe were originally settled by English speaking emigrants.  The fact remains that they are so friendly, you will only have difficulty if you let it get to you.
    As for direction, you will add a lot of distance if you plan on heading into New Brunswick at Campbellton.  We have done it both ways, and didn't find it too bad counter-clockwise, but if you are concerned over heights Ardra's comments are valid.  There are a few cliffs, but nothing like coming down off the Sierra Nevadas on Route 50 into Lake Tahoe.

Ed

Here is the link to our library section that has a list of trips our members have been on.  There are a couple of them for the "Maritimes" area.  Here is the link:  http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=21:trip-reports&Itemid=45&layout=default

You can also do a search by using the "search" button above, fill in a search criteria i.e. "Gaspe Pennisula" and read about others and their travels to the area. 

In both locations (the library log and the thread discussions) you'll find names of campground, places to eat, and where to get fuel etc.

Marsha~

Thank you for the information so far, one thing we will probably do is to split into 3 groups with an hour difference between leaving times to maximize our access to rest stops.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom