In motion satellite dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
When we bought our coach new we thought the in motion sat was sexy!

Did not take us long to find out it was pretty useless and aggravating.  Useless because we travel a lot in mountains and in cities.  And even on the straitaways, when you turn, the sat has to reacquire.  And it is potentially dangerous because of distractions.  After the first 2 weeks we never used that feature ever again.  We could have initially saved about $500 if we had been smarter.

Smoky
Yea Smoky... In our 5ver, the only one that would enjoy the in motion would be 'Lenard'... No, he's not my Father in Law.... 'Lenard' the cat makes out fine without the in motion satellite setup!  He does enjoy aircon though when it's hot out... Even in the 5ver moving.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You can watch different channels on different tvs with a dome - you just have to have multiple tuners. Either separate satellite receivers or  single receiver with multiple tuners (Dish has some like that). The dome must have  multiple coax feeds to support more than one receiver, but most of them do these days.  Not sure why they told you to replace your dome...

While this is true with DirecTV and the SDTV programming only, it can be a real nightmare if you try to pull that off with Dish Network.  Also, if you want ANY HDTV programming from DirecTV you must replace your dome with an open face antenna.
With Dish Network, the programming comes from 3 satellites and all domes are only able to see one satellite at a time.  If you want to watch one program that is broadcast on the 110 satellite and another program that is broadcast from the 119 or 129 satellite you are simply out of luck.  Whatever satellite the primary receiver selects will determine what programming can be recorded on a second tuner or watched on a second TV.

What I was told was that with the dome it only catches one of the three satelites at a time.  The main TV would control which satellite it is on.  We do have two different receivers and even with two receivers we could only watch the channels on that satellite.  The Traveler clicks on all three at the same time and we can watch anything we want on either TV.  That's what I was told by Dishnetwork, Kingdom, and Camping World.  Maybe something has changed since last year, but I doubt it.  Mikie

4ducksrus said:
What I was told was that with the dome it only catches one of the three satelites at a time.  The main TV would control which satellite it is on.  We do have two different receivers and even with two receivers we could only watch the channels on that satellite.  The Traveler clicks on all three at the same time and we can watch anything we want on either TV.  That's what I was told by Dishnetwork, Kingdom, and Camping World.  Maybe something has changed since last year, but I doubt it.  Mikie

This is true for Dish Network and Dish Network is the only service which would allow you to receive any HDTV programming via a dome.  With DirecTV, since you only need 1 satellite to receive all of their SDTV programming you can use multiple receivers or a DVR without issue.

Right, Jim. With Dish service you have to select a new satellite often, whereas with Direct SD it is fairly rare (if ever). I should have asked what service you were using before I made my previous comment... my bad!

Bill gave the more complete explanation - thanks, Bill!

:)We are having our KVH R4 reprogrammed.  Never been done. This week.  Now we have to decide on DISH or DORECT.  I like the idea of monthly service.  Can we watch two tv's at the same time different channels one receiver? 

Would like to pick your brains. Was told DIRECT on KVH has less moving parts.  I think he was talking about satellites.

Thanks

Jim

Dealer in Lakeland

Tin man said:
:)We are having our KVH R4 reprogrammed.  Never been done. This week.  Now we have to decide on DISH or DORECT.  I like the idea of monthly service.  Can we watch two tv's at the same time different channels one receiver? 

Would like to pick your brains. Was told DIRECT on KVH has less moving parts.  I think he was talking about satellites.

Thanks

Jim

Dealer in Lakeland

There are no differences in parts whether your antenna points to DirecTV or Dish Network so whoever told you this has no idea what they are talking about.  With DirecTV there is only one satellite to point toward (good if you are a dome user) while Dish Network requires 2 for SD programming and 3 if you want SD and HD.  With a dome and DirecTV you can only receive SD programming and no HD programming at all.  My personal choice would be DirecTV and no HDTV.  However, if HD programming is a requirement in your household then your only choice is Dish Network.
If you want to watch different channels on different TV's in your RV your best option would be DirecTV (SD) and 2 receivers, one at each TV.  You can get a single receiver from Dish Network that will provide an output to 2 separate TV's but the dome can only point to one satellite at a time so if the main tuner is pointed to 110 and the program you want to watch on the second TV is on 119 or 129 you will not be able to view this program.
Edit: Fixed quote.

Thanks for the info.. I believe he meant that dish needed more than one sat, and direct used  just one.  HD is not an option because I have not upgraded the tv's yet.

He said something like dish had to search more than one sat.  He liked direct was simple to search, did not have to move as much. 

Jim

We've actually had both Direct TV and Dishnetwork on our MH's.  On our first MH we had the Traveler dish with Direct TV.  We had two receivers and were able to watch different things on each TV at the same time. (a big requirement of mine)  When we purchased our new MH it came with a Kingdome In-Motion.  We decided to switch to Dish because we were told that it would work easier with the dome than our direct.  Soooo, we switched out the satellite and decided to go with the Traveler because we really liked the ease of operation with it.  We now have the Traveler with two receivers that each work independently of each other.  Whether we are at home in the stick house or in the MH we can both watch whatever we want.  Works for us....just my 2 cents...

Mikie

Tin man said:
Thanks for the info.. I believe he meant that dish needed more than one sat, and direct used  just one.  HD is not an option because I have not upgraded the tv's yet.

He said something like dish had to search more than one sat.  He liked direct was simple to search, did not have to move as much. 

Jim

Dome, DirecTV, SD!  Perfect!

Can we watch two tv's at the same time different channels one receiver? 

Generally no. Most receivers have only one tuner, so both tvs see the same station. Dish has a receiver that has two tuners in one box, but haven't ever heard if Direct has any similar. Most domes have two coax running from dome to the interior, so it can feed two receivers, or  a single receiver with two tuners, or a receiver with a DVR plus a tv tuner. You might check to see if yours has the twin coax and where the second one goes to. In my coach, the second coax runs to the bedroom so we could have an additional receiver there if we wanted. Never bothered, because usually only one tv is on anyway.

Your KVH R4 defaults to Directv and shouldn't need reprogramming if that's what you decide on.

I was told the dome needed to be reprogrammed from the techs in RI.  it needed a software update due too new sat.

The dome was installed in 2007.

Jim

I'll make you a deal. I have a KVH TracVision that I will give you for what ever you want to give me plus shipping. Was on our MH and worked fine. Just don't want or need TV on vacation. It is a TRacVision LF/SF model from 06. Heck, just pay shipping and for the box. Good carma!

Attachments

• stuff 299.jpg
    stuff 299.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 25
  • stuff 300.jpg
    stuff 300.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 30
hes4all said:
I'll make you a deal. I have a KVH TracVision that I will give you for what ever you want to give me plus shipping. Was on our MH and worked fine. Just don't want or need TV on vacation. It is a TRacVision LF/SF model from 06. Heck, just pay shipping and for the box. Good carma!
We purchased a used Dome last year, similar situation was off a MH, from Ebay.  Shipping was about $100.00 from AZ to WV.  There is a shipping condition that is important, basically tie-wrapping the components in place under the dome.  Few months earlier and I would have taken you up on this offer! :)

Tin man said:
I was told the dome needed to be reprogrammed from the techs in RI.  it needed a software update due too new sat.

The dome was installed in 2007.

Jim

This is quite likely correct.  Many of the KVH systems have required software updates to work properly.  A 2007 is going to work better with current software.

8)Well this is a update.

Hooked up DIRECT TV this morning, went to a local dealer.  Set it up in store, put it in MH hooked up to SAT, and just like you all said it sleeked out the satelite and did not need software update.

Thank you every body you have been right on once again, now I have to fined someone to look at my engine and the check engine light problem. 

First time in Florida retirement is wonderful. 

Jim

By the way the local stores better than a box store. Service was great and he new what he was doing.  I just had to hook up the wires and plug it in no phone calls.

Glad to hear it went smoothly. My KVH R4SL was installed in June of 2008 and still seems to find the Directv satellite ok. Can't say the same for the previous KVH SF - it was needed software updates and still didn't seek all that well. Kept locking in the wrong bird.  I replaced it with the R4SL when they recommended upgrading the controller electronics on the SF.

hes4all,
I will take that deal if no one has already gotten it from you. I am in the Army and currently deployed to Kosovo but can make arrangements. Let me know.
GO ARMY!!!!

Back
Top Bottom