Travel Trailers-Is there really any difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Jon. I took every photo on my site. I am not a pro anymore. I am retired. My photos are my gift to the world. Use them for whatever you wish or just look at them and enjoy them. I have been a full timer for 9 years and I have been posting my photos since the first month for my family and friends to keep up with my adventures.

Aye Jon, Tom S's photos are truly amazing. Wish I could spend a week with him and learn some things about photography.

Tom said:
Aye Jon, Tom S's photos are truly amazing. Wish I could spend a week with him and learn some things about photography.

Thank you Tom. If I buy an newer RV this month and get mine sold I will be heading for San Diego on March 1st and spending 6 months touring the Ca/Or/Wa coast line. Current plan is to spend a week then move 50 miles north and then spend another week and repeat until I get to the Olympic Peninsula. I am hoping to be in Half Moon Bay and Olema for a week each in the middle of May. I will be posting my schedule as soon as things are firmed up. You are invited to join me anywhere on the route. I would be more than happy to spend as much time as you wish shooting whatever you want to shoot. I have a photo that I took especially for you at Q that I will be posting in a day or two.

Thanks for the invite Tom, it's much appreciated. We'll need to coordinate schedules, but it looks like it might work out, somewhere along your route.

While not something you can "look for" on a new RV,  I cannot emphasize enough - proper roof maintenance.  Follow any manufacturer recommendations (if there are any), and learn to do frequent (yearly?) inspections and maintenance.

I had the pleasure of paying for a new roof on our 5 year old (new to us) RV last October.  The previous owner completely neglected maintenance, and I was in the dark about roof problems.

The roof on my Allegro class A was in sad shape so I bought a $100 roll of Eternabond and resealed the whole roof. It took me about two hours to do the job.

I realize this thread has been dormant for a while now but I just found it and had a point to add. One thing that I don't see many people discussing is that Evergreen and Earthbound construction materials are nothing like the rest of the industry. Using no wood in the construction only composites should make the structure impervious to water which has to be responsible for more RV damage than about everything else put together.
  We looked at more delamination and water stains than I can remember in our search for a good used RV. So many sellers are either completely clueless or trying to not disclose these problems, many of them seem to have no idea why their siding is "kinda wavy now". It wasn't my place to talk down their camper, I would just mention that they might want to look for a leak somewhere and move on to the next used unit. As informed buyers I had to walk away from so many "good deals" that were water damage related. How many have developed a water leak but it was only discovered after damage has started. This different style construction in theory should limit damage extensively. We don't own one new enough to be manufactured with these materials but this type of construction is number 1 priority to further investigate when we do buy again. When I heard of this kind of structure I thought it would be all the rage and take over the industry in just a few years and make the old school builds obsolete. Obviously that hasn't happened so maybe everybody else knows more than I do.
  I lost the website but saw a few months ago a big Ever-Lite Evergreen dealer who has a demo of two wall sections in a tank of water. One is traditional luan wood, the other Ever-Lite section. They certainly don't handle that exposure the same.

Just my 2 cents,
Kip

I found the website with the demo. http://www.rvcenters.com/pages/everlitecomposite.htm

This is a really interesting question. I really think the answer is a personal one - and depending on your situation and plans and needs- that heads you in the direction of picking a travel trailer or camper or fifth wheel or motorhome - that will be right for you and give you the life style you want. For my husband and I, this had been a 4 or 5 year journey - and over the course of this time, we changed our minds many times - even as far apart as wanting a 38' fifth wheel to a slide-in camper. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.
Finally, we decided on a 21.5' Fun Finder travel trailer. I didn't want anything too big, yet I wanted certain comforts. And when you opt for a smaller trailer, you have to make concessions on the floor plan. For me, the floor plan was important. If this is your home and you have the opportunity to buy it new and have choices, this is certainly an important considersation. The separate bedroom area was important to me.
Our big decision was either an eating area booth or a couch with a table you could set up in front for dining.
We opted for the couch - because we felt we would be eating outside more often. Our trailer also has a full outdoor kitchen built in - one of the things my husband loved - even though he never cooks. Underneath storage, an awning, extra outdoor storage, outside TV hookup - and all the extra amemties were nice too. We purchased our trailer from a dealer that has been around forever and we got an even better deal buy purchasing at one of the RV shows. At the RV show, we had one last opportunity to look at competitors - and yes - many of the floor plans were so similar - but in the end - this trailer felt right to us and we loved it.  We took our time. And in the end, as I said to my husband, we can always trade up.

Travel Trailer designs seem to add and change with respect to interior design every five years or so. Every trip out we encounter a husban or wife that wish to change some part of their TT design. In fact one that we are going to have to change is our free standing slide out sofa that slides out with the bottom long drawer opening out into our dinette with movement of the TT. When free standing furniture was first placed in the RV models we inquired as to if the remained in place during travel!  Also we questioned if the sofa was put in with the slide or through the entrance door. With our sofa we may have to take appart to remove as our new Euro design door design is an inch in weight smaller than most standard.

The most noticable change is with the quality of products manufactured outside ot the US. All manufacures basically use the same wholesale RV suppliers most of which small parts come from overseas.  Most importantly what has changed is the three major TT and RV manufacturers warantee service ratings. Researching for several years we found actually more complaints with three of the top manufacturers. Having major problems twice with one smaller manufacturer we spent two years researching every TT and Class C manufacturers. We found only one TT/Toyhauler manufacturer in California, however their TT floor plans changed along with less cabinet storage. They went back to the raised interior slides.  Desert Fox which is alote more costly appears to to maintain a better reputation.

Or mancanic and responsible old school RV tech that spent more hours than he was compensated for warrany repairs related that repertations with all manufacturers with exception of one Class A manufacturer was the same. He related the past years they all take a extended long time to aprove many warantee orders and sending out parts. He shared his frustration getting aproval and parts even form Keystone ever since the down turn in the economy. We were surprised to find serious complaints accross the country with even Jayco buyers.

Relating to floor plans manufacturers seem to change back and forth relating to interior design every five to ten years. Years back one had great difficulty resaling a TT with the kitchen in the back, most everyone noting the brakage of dishes, popping open cabinets etc.  Today dealer sales persons respond to negative questions regarding TT designed with kitchens placed in the back responding that the newer suspension installed took care of the problems. Well for sever individuals recently the past three years they disagree as they experienced brakage within cabinets and also some cabinets opening spilling goods on the floor. One family sold their kitchen in the rear after only six months of use. You may get a larger kitchen in a smaller TT but at what cost.

Our bedroom closets in the back of our TT shake up our cloths off the hanger poll just moving it to storage five minutes from our home. With the new front strimline disigns having the bed in the front your head is aproximately six inches more between the wardrobe cabinets. For us we find the deep standard enclusure between wardrobe cabinets too deep adding another six inches was not a consideration. One complaint especially with women is the effort and time to make up the bedding, relating to the stress of pulling up the front of mattress to fit the bed sheets ect. Would advise to lay down on the bed setup before buying that floorplan to see if you feel confortable. Another consideration is with many new streamline front designs the enterance door is up front to the  bedroom on smaller TT models having only one entrance door. Therefor the sleeping area will have more dirt and dust etc during traveling to tend with.

Front kitchens designs offer at least double the kitchen cabinets to smaller TT,  though can add additional wieght to the tongue. We gave considerations to the added weight on our V nose and later may consider after warranty is up on our second V nose to add a nose suspension as was added to the VR1 in 2006.

If one is planning a large investment they might consider renting different TT models for a short trip to see what best serves their needs. There are companies big and small that even set up rentals in camprounds.

Hope response help a little!!

Floorplan,floorplan, floorplan! A stove/oven, Microwave,bathroom, Sink, and TV,all come in most every thing from a pop up to one of them there BIG motor homes with a little car hooked behind it. but if you don't have the design that fits you, then you wont be happy. My old toy hauler was great for me and my 2 kids. 4 wheelers and huntin stuff. Now between me and my girl friend, we have 7 kids all together. so now WE have a "normal" travel trailer, with 2 sets of bunks, a fold out couch, and the table that drops to  a bed and a Queen for me and the Misses. My daughter thinks this one is the neatest thing since pop corn!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom