Pet Safety in a Desert Environment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

There have been a number of questions in the RV Forum about taking pets to desert parks and we try to help those asking to be aware of the dangers to their pets.  For example, it's common sense that pets in the desert need to drink more water - just like their owners.  The other day I was reading the Anza-Borrego newsletter in which the question was asked "Why aren't dogs allowed on trails in wilderness areas?"  Even though we don't have furry kids, the article should be of special interest to those who do.  I'll just outline it's contents as food for thought.

In some parks, such as Anza-Borrego, it is illegal to take pets on park trails.  These laws protect both the local wildlife and your pets.

Park animals smell canine scent and think "Predator" so the local critters avoid areas where there's canine scent.  This means they may not be able to search for food or find safety in their usual places.

Diseases may spread from your pet to local wildlife or vice versa.  The diseases include plague and Lyme disease which also can spread to humans.

Cholla cactus are especially problematic to pets because the spines or thorns become embedded in their paws, then their mouth, then the other paw, as the animal tries to remove the irritation.  Emergency medical care may be more than an hour away so pets with cholla spines can suffer quite a bit before they reach care.  ALWAYS CARRY TWEEZERS WHEN WALKING YOUR DOG IN AREAS WITH CHOLLA CACTUS!

Rattlesnakes can be a very real threat because dogs may not understand the warning of rattles and get bitten.  Rattlesnake bites (as well as scorpion bites) can kill a dog.

Coyotes and other hunter critters look at domesticated animals like dogs and cats as their next meal.  The local wildlife are predators and can be a real threat, especially to smaller dogs and cats.  Larger birds also fall into the predator category.  They might spot a little dog, swoop down, grab it with their talons, and take it for their next meal.

Desert heat can burn the pads of your pet's feet.  Carrying your pet or having them wear doggie booties might help.

Rocky terrain might cut your pet's paws.  Again, carrying your pet or having them wear doggie booties might help.

I hope this helps those of you who are new to the desert.  It can be a beautiful experience, but not if your furry kid is hurt because you don't know about it's dangers or if you don't follow the rules that were put in place to protect both them and the local wildlife.

ArdraF

Ardra, that is a great post.  I am from Ontario and we don't have such critters as rattlesnakes, scorpions or big birds and this is enlightening to some that may not be aware of what to look for.  I wish I could also say we don't have coyotes but they have been a real problem for people and their dogs in our area for a few years now and it is very frightening to even take the dog out to do her business.  She is a hound and gets sniffing and unfortunately she would do anything to get at one if there were one.  Christmas Day my husband was at work and the dog and I went out to the ploughed corn field in our yard so she can do her business (she won't do it on our yard) and she got sniffing and there was a coyote in the field quite a distance away but she was determined to get at it and she got out of her collar and started to take off.  I was frightened out of my wits so I ran after her in the foot deep snow and actually had to tackle her to get a grip (I didn't hurt her but my I was rusty for a few days) and then I actually had to carry her (50lbs) through the snow, field and down our long laneway to keep her from danger.  Of course she had no idea what this was all about but I my heart was pounding so fast and the weight of her was getting to be allot but we got in safely. 

After looking at all of the wonderful pictures from Quartzside I wondered, well isn't there snakes and such and how do these people just nonchalantly walk through the desert.  I guess if you grew up in these areas you become accustomed and very aware but for someone like me it is absolutely terrifying.

Ardra, thanks again for this very imformative post.

Thanks for the post, we are planning a long RV trip this summer and we have a small dog. I never gave it a thought about what you explained here. Again thanks for an eye opening post.

I travel with two cats and people ask me why I don't let them go outside. I tell them that cats make tasty snacks for coyotes. And also there is a problem with fleas and ticks. Once fleas get into your carpet they are difficult to get out because they lay eggs in the carpet that seem to hatch forever.

great post...thank you.  We will be traveling with our fur-kid and the thought of him getting hurt is terrifying.  I don't even take him out in our yard without his full harness and leash...lost our last one just the way workingtorv described...only it was a big truck rather than a coyote that got her; still on her leash but I couldn't hold her @65#.  Our little Maxi will NOT be hiking trails as we travel.  Thanks again

Thank you Ardra. I've added your message as a file to our library here.

Watch out in Alaska too... the bald Eagles will grab small animals and fly away for a meal or two.  I saw a small poodle disappear in less than a second at a RV park in Skagway. 

Keep in mind that it's not just small dogs that are in danger from coyotes. Coyotes are tricksters and smart and have been known to send one of the pack out to entice a dog to where the pack can attack it.

When hiking in the desert, especially with a dog, always carry tweezers or hemostats or one of those nifty tools like a leatherman tool. Great for pulling cactus out of your own shoes and pants as well as out of dog paws, tails, hair, etc.

As for worrying about snakes, in all our years in the desert, I have only seen 3 rattlesnakes and I gave them a wide berth. There are snakes just about everywhere, not just in the desert. Some of the ones in wet areas are much more dangerous and harder to spot than the ones in the desert. Common sense should always prevail.

Enjoy, don't worry.
Wendy
Quartzsite

Your problem Wendy is that Gordon might eat the coyote ;D

Notice I said "the coyote" not "a bunch of coyotes". ;D

Any modifications to the file would be much appreciated.

Wendy said:
Keep in mind that it's not just small dogs that are in danger from coyotes. Coyotes are tricksters and smart and have been known to send one of the pack out to entice a dog to where the pack can attack it.

Right on, Wendy.  Our yellow lab, Dusty, was at the top of our hill in Redding, CA when a coyote appeared out of a ravine at the bottom and stood .... posing, enticing.  Tom restrained Dusty and we later talked with a Sheriff's Department Animal Officer who confirmed that there was most certainly a pack waiting up the ravine just waiting to attack.  Typical coyote behavior.

There's a reason the cartoon character was named Wiley Coyote.

Margi
Edit: Fixed quote.

I did not know they behaved that way.  When we first moved into this place, about 10 years ago, there was very little construction around us.  A Coyote came to the edge of our yard and did just stand ther e and pose...our little dog at the time was 22 years old and blind...she never even noticed it but I watched it for a while and then carried her in.  Bet there was a pack in the thicket right behind our property. Thanks for the info...again!

Wow, what great messages!  I'm glad to have written it if it helps anyone protect their hairy kids!  What you've all written has given me a couple of more ideas and I've revised the original to incorporate your experiences (see below).  Thanks, Tom, for adding it to the library.

ArdraF

There have been a number of questions in the RV Forum about taking pets to desert parks and we try to help those asking to be aware of the dangers to their pets.  For example, it's common sense that pets in the desert need to drink more water - just like their owners.  The other day I was reading the Anza-Borrego newsletter in which the question was asked "Why aren't dogs allowed on trails in wilderness areas?"  Even though we don't have furry kids, the article should be of special interest to those who do.  I'll just outline it's contents as food for thought.

In some parks, such as Anza-Borrego, it is illegal to take pets on park trails.  These laws are designed to protect both the local wildlife and your pets.

Park animals smell canine scent and think "Predator" so the local critters avoid areas where there's canine scent.  This means they may not be able to search for food or find safety in their usual places.

Diseases may spread from your pet to local wildlife or vice versa.  The diseases include plague and Lyme disease which also can spread to humans.  Fleas and ticks spread some of these diseases.  If your pet attracts fleas and brings them into your RV, the fleas will get into the carpet and lay their eggs in the carpet.  Flea bites are not fun!  You want to keep your pets free of fleas and ticks, but you also need to protect yourself by never feeding or touching wildlife like chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, and mice which carry the plague, especially in the Western U.S. where it is believed most of the wild rodent population carries this disease.  Check both your pet and yourself for ticks before going inside your RV.

Cholla cactus are especially problematic to pets because the spines or thorns become embedded in their paws, then their mouth, then the other paws, as the animal tries to remove the irritation.  Emergency medical care may be more than an hour away so pets with cholla spines can suffer quite a bit before they reach care.  ALWAYS CARRY TWEEZERS OR PLIERS WHEN WALKING YOUR DOG IN AREAS WITH CHOLLA CACTUS!  If you don't know what the Cholla Cactus looks like, you can Google it and find photos.  There are hundreds of Cholla types and one of the most pesky is what's called a Jumping Cholla Cactus.  Remember watching cowboy movies in which the cowboys wore leather chaps?  The chaps had many uses but they especially protected the cowboys from Cholla needles "jumping" off the plant and onto them.  Consider this scenario:  You have a dog that weighs 40, 50, or 60 pounds and you take him onto a desert trail.  He gets cactus spines in his feet, hair, tongue, and elsewhere.  Could you carry your dog back to the car or RV that might be a mile or two away?  Then, suppose you and the pet go inside the RV and spread the cholla spines inside.  These Cholla spines are surprisingly strong and can get embedded in carpet, clothing, shoes, and even tires.  Check both your pet and yourself for Cholla spines before going inside your RV.

Rattlesnakes can be a very real threat because dogs may not understand the warning of rattles and get bitten.  Rattlesnake bites (as well as scorpion bites) can kill a dog or cat.

Local wildlife often are predators and they can be a real threat, especially to smaller dogs and cats.  Coyotes and other hunter critters look at domesticated animals like dogs and cats as their next meal.  They're also very smart and have been known to trick potential prey.  For example, there may be a pack of coyotes.  One will stand in the open and pose to attract the attention of a pet while the others stay hidden.  Then, when the pet chases the coyote, others in the pack will attack the pet which doesn't stand a chance of protecting itself from an entire pack.  Coyotes are found all over North America, including Newfoundland.

Larger birds, such as eagles and hawks, also fall into the predator category.  They might spot a little dog, swoop down, grab it with their talons, and take it for their next meal.

Desert heat can burn the pads of your pet's feet.  Carrying your pet or having them wear doggie booties might help.

Rocky terrain might cut your pet's paws.  Again, carrying your pet or having them wear doggie booties might help.

I hope this helps those of you who are new to the desert.  It can be a beautiful experience, but not if your furry kid is hurt because you don't know about the dangers it faces or if you don't follow the rules that were put in place to protect both them and the local wildlife.

Good job, Ardra .... as usual.  ;D  You really have a gift for writing and editing. 

Margi

Tom,

Please can you replace the original copy of this post, which is already in the library, with Ardra's NEW improved version (reply #14).

Thanks,
JerryF

Margi, thank you for the kind words.  I have to say this little writeup is now twice as long as the original one in the Anza Borrego newspaper!  You all had a lot of good ideas that helped with the additions!

ArdraF

[quote author=JerArdra]Please can you replace the original copy of this post, which is already in the library, with Ardra's NEW improved version ....[/quote]

It's done Jerry. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks to Ardra for the update.

Back
Top Bottom