Another week in the whore house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Lou, if we're being picky, take a closer look at the contract  ;)

We have no legal ownership of Gabby, and are performing the function of a "guardian home". I was technically incorrect in referring to "our dog".

The breeder wasn't mentioned in the "I'm upset" message to which I responded. I suppose that I should have clarified that 'we' in my response referred to my wife and I.

Tom, you were as clear as necessary.  It was I who made some erroneous assumptions. :-[  I commend you for providing a good home for Gabby.  Being an animal lover myself, I know the monetary and emotional expense the commitment can require. 

LOL Carolyn.

This was actually a 2-way street. The breeder has a preference for her breeding dogs to be in a situation where they can help healing. Chris was scheduled to come out of hospital following surgery when I picked up Gabby, and there was going to be some recovery time at home. The breeder later told me "I made my decision when I read your email about Chris".

You might have hit on something there. What about all the orphaned kids. Are we so selfish that we do not adopt them?  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.Makes me wonder.  IF people were to adopt the kids instead of having their own we would save a lot of money in this country running homes for unwanted children.  We would also help all those kids that need us. How come no one makes a stink about this? Why do we just sweep it under the rug?

Since we have adult/married grandkids and several great-grandkids, we're not looking to adopt any young children at this stage in our lives.

Tom said:
stood my comment that our cockapoo is in a breeding program with a breeder. We (my wife and I) are not 'making puppies';

Tom, if you and your wife were making puppies I'd be very very concerned.

And you folks do know that all Dogs are Male right.. Dog, denotes the MALE Canine,, the Female goes by a different name.

[quote author=John From Detroit]....all Dogs are Male right.. Dog, denotes the MALE Canine,, the Female goes by a different name. [/quote]

Correct John. I didn't want to use the term "bitch" in mixed company  :eek:

The would-be mate (he-dog?) turned up today with his owner (she-human?), followed by the breeder (she-human?). Just like her last mate, she Gabby teased him for a long time, until he was worn out. He gets to stay here tonight, and we'll try again in the morning.

What was that about the birds and the bees?

Oh gosh, we're making puppies  :-[

Still trying to make puppies!

Methinks that either Gabby isn't ready, or her new mate can't 'raise' to the task. They both slept with us last night and, as Chris says, they're acting more link like brother and sister than a Breeding pair.

Attachments

• 2nd mate.jpg
    2nd mate.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 47
Have you lowered the lights and turned on the mood music?

LOL Jeff, I think Chris tried everything in the book. The "stud's" owner picked him up today, and we'll try again on Monday. Meanwhile, the breeder has a backup dog (Gabby's prior mate) in the wings, just in case.

Wendy said:
Sorry guys. "Dog" is a general term for, well, dogs, either male or female.

While your comment is accurate for the greater unwashed public ;D, for those of us who are or have been involved with the "dog world" (breeding, raising, showing, etc), "dog" refers exclusively to the male of the species while "bitch" refers to the female.  If you go to a dog show and buy the brochure which explains the show and its' entrants, you will notice that the sexes are divided into two classes, Dog and Bitch.  The two winners of each are Winners Dog and Winners Bitch.

FWIW, Tom - We always, without exception after the first year we became interested in the activity of the dog world, used AI for breeding.  We never, not once, failed to produce a litter.  Another one of the purposes of AI is to not only produce a litter, but also to protect the health of the stud and of the bitch.  I imagine though that it could conceivably (pun intended) take away some of the fun associated with the "normal" way of breeding! ;)

[quote author=sheltie]We always, without exception after the first year we became interested in the activity of the dog world, used AI for breeding.[/quote]

I scratched my head for a while before realizing what IA AI is  :-[

For clarification, we're not breeders; We're a guardian home for the dog (bitch) while she's in the program. All breeding decisions/choices are made by her owner (the breeder).

Tom,

Aren't cockapoos a result of breeding a cocker & a poodle?  Since they are technically a mix, do cockapoos breed true or do you get some that look like cockers & others that look like poodles and some with characteristics of both?

I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest but have always been curious about breeding "designer dogs" and have never known anyone that does.

They are adorable though!

Good question Karen. Yes, by definition, a cockapoo is a cocker spaniel/poodle mix. The first time Gabby mated with a cockpoo that looks very similar, and the pups were all similar (except for size and color). The breeder was hoping for a particular mix of colors, and came close with two of the pups, but totally different with the other two.

This time around, the male cockapoo looks much more like a miniature poodle, and is almost all-white. I don't know what to expect if they succeed in mating.

FWIW the breeder also has labradoodles (lab/poodle mix), and they're a little larger.

What a week!

The breeder wanted us to mate Gabby with a cockapoo from her line that looked like a miniature poodle. We kept him overnight for several days, and he tried numerous times, but he just wasn't up to the task.

Getting a little desperate, the breeder had us introduce 'Tucker', Gabby's first mate. These two are like opposing magnets - whamo! Several days of this, and Tucker went home, strutting his thing.

The breeder asked if we'd try the little doggie again; He failed again yesterday, stayed here last night and, despite numerous attempts today (including 3:00am this morning), we decided he wasn't going to do the job. Chris thought he was just a little short, so I tried making a wooden platform for him to stand on; Gabby was ready, but again the little guy wasn't up to the task.

Since we were running out of time, Chris called Tucker's guardian this afternoon. She pulled up outside the house and opened the door of her car, Chris opened the front door, and Tucker ran through the house to the back deck, and whamo!

When the little guy's guardian came to pick him up, we didn't have the heart to tell her he was a dud. Chris told her "maybe next time".

Meanwhile, we're pooped. This dog breeding thing is for the birds.

Tom,

I'm serious as a heart attack.  If you want to be pretty much assured of a pregnancy (not you, the dog!), have your vet or the breeder use AI.  It's the best way to go.

Denny

Tom,

I know its not your problem, but I'd be interested in knowing how the owner can register a dog that may have pups from one of two different dogs. When I raised boxers, I'd never have taken a chance like that. Or are these just unregistered animals?

Incidentally, I don't appologize for having bred boxers; While I sympothize with their plight, I'm not responsible for the "mutts" or other abandoned animals out there and I firmly believe that purebred animals offer a much better liklihood of having the personality you expect of them, not to mention size, looke etc.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom