Towing options with 09 FORD ESCAPE XLT V6 FWD and all other small FWD suvs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorak

Looking to buy my first travel trailer or pop up used.  I recently bought a 2009 escape xlt v6 fwd, came equipped with a nice uhaul hitch rated at 400/4000 and the vehicle is rated at 3500lbs.  Not sure at all what I can/can't pull, and curious what my options are in terms of pop ups or travel trailers.  It would normally be my wife, 1yo son, and me using it.  So far I like a travel trailer better just because of the ease of setup and security, but know they are heavier. Also generator capability would be very nice.  Looking for the most for the least just like everyone else I am looking to stay ~$5k or less unless i'm getting a really good deal.  Any good tips or links would be greatly appreciated.

Well, with a vehicle tow rating of 3500 lbs, you'll need to subtract everything in the vehicle over a 150 lb. driver and fuel, so lighter popups are about all I'd expect it to be safe to pull. You may also need to replace the U-Haul electrical connector with a 6 or 7 pin, depending on what you buy.

For a generator, I expect you're looking at a portable, such as the Honda e2000i (or e1000i, depending on your power needs), or the equivalent Yamaha. There are, of course, cheaper generators, but you need something quiet to camp with.

You should be able to fine a nice pop up trailer for your needs.  We camping for many years in a Coleman pop up before we bought our TT.  And I think the grandkids enjoyed the pop up every bit as much.  Now they tease us saying the TT isn't "real camping".  They also tow much easier and you will get much better gas milage pulling one.  I think any kind of TT other that a pop up will be too much for your Escape.

Back
Top Bottom