East coast scenic route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV Tinter Sr.

We are getting ready to leave 5/18/06 for a trip to east coast from Kentucky.  This will be our maiden voyage.  We need some suggestions on where to go and what would be a good route to take.  We are interested in seeing the ocean and camping as cloase as possible to the water.  This will be a short trip to break in the RV

Myrtle Beach might be an excellent destination.  Plenty of camp grounds along the ocean (Lakeside, Ocean Lakes, etc) and lots of things to see and do.  Also the golf capital of the east coast if you carry clubs.

you might want to consider Charleston S.C. great park at James Island only few miles from ocean
lots of things to see and do beside beach bumming. Plantations are a must see. Great golf. sea kayaking

Myrtle Beach is rather hectic. But then, most any ocean playground is going to be busy - EVERYBODY wants to play in the waves!

I think you might enjoy one of the South Carolina state parks. There are several on the water, either ocean or on huge inland reservoirs.  Edisto Beach S.P. and Huntington Beach S.P. are ocean beach possibilties and there is also a state park at Myrtle Beach.  Inland but on giant reservoirs are Sadlers Creek, Lake Hartwell, and several others. Dreher Island Recreation Area on Lake Murray is another good possibility.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/park_locator.aspx

Southeast of Ocean City, MD is Assateague Island State Park.? They have camping facitilies on the island, thou I don't recall if they have hook ups or not.? It is best to make reservations.? The really unique feature about this location is that it is a park that has many wild horses roaming around.? A throw back to a colonial ship wreck of a load of horses that swam to shore.? It is very interesting to watch the small groups of them wondering about.? The park is on the seashore and there is always a cool breeze blowing. AC is rarely needed.? The beach is large and clean.? We have been there twice so far.

Robert Flight
Rochester, NY

Ocean Lakes at Myrtle Beach is very quiet and peaceful in May before Memorial Day, if you like the surf.

However the killer might be campfires. 

Ocean Lakes has a huge park campfire each evening, but no facilities for individual campfires, unless you carry an approved container.  We have the portable wood campfire that come in a pot and plan to have one this evening as we roast our stakes.  But if you are looking for fire rings, I don't know of any parks in Myrtle Beach that have them.  The town is very quiet and many eating places have not opened yet for the season, but still plenty to see and do.

RSFlight said:
Southeast of Ocean City, MD is Assateague Island State Park.  They have camping facitilies on the island, thou I don't recall if they have hook ups or not.  It is best to make reservations.  The really unique feature about this location is that it is a park that has many wild horses roaming around. 

The ponies have learned to invite themselves to dinner, the campers flee and the ponies enjoy dinner. The are more ponies on the South end of the island but no camping facilities. On the North end there is the federal park and next to it a MD state campground. The Federal has no hook ups, I think I remember that MD as WE only you would have to look.

Nelson

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strandy1978
Back
Top Bottom