GM will offer an 8 speed automatic tranny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
GM will be offering an 8 speed automatic in its pick-ups starting in early 2013. The idea is to enable the use of smaller engines without sacrificing hauling power, and getting more mpg from todays engines.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2012/02/gm-to-offer-8-speed-transmission-on-pickups/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RvBusiness+%28RV+Business%29

Dodge also has an 8 speed (from ZF) and will probably offer it in the Dodge Ram in 2013, and Ford says they will have one too. No details yet, though.

Wow.  Probably means that there will never be another towing engine designed for torque across a wide RPM range, like the 8.1 was.

The only problem with this is that the constant shifting may be annoying. My daughter's SUV with a six speed does that on minimal terrain changes.  I can't imagine what that would be like in the mountains.

utahclaimjumper said:
Back to diesel,,, the only way to go.>>>D

A diesel tied to a 8 speed...that's a cool idea.
My son had a SUV, Nissan I believe, that had a constant velocity transmission. The engine ran at it's best RPM. If he smashed it to the floor the tires almost broke loose and the RPM remained steady as it just ran faster and faster..was pretty smooth. Don't know if it "locked-up" or not..

Back
Top Bottom