garmin vs magellan ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPhChuck

What are the advantages or disadvantages of Garman vs Magellan GPS portable systems?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Really glad to see you on the Forum!  Feel free to check out the different message topics.  Several of our members have had experience with both brands so hopefully you will get some feedback in the next few days.

Regards,

Hi Chuck and welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad to see you here.

I haven't had any experience with the Magellan unit butt have had a Garmin Street Pilot 3 for quite a few years and really like it.  The newer 26xx series of Street Pilots are considered to be better by those I know who have had the SP-III and moved on to the SP-26xx series.

Hi Chuck,

I'm not one of the members who has had experience with both brands.  However, I have a 2610 and really do like it. 

Before the Garmin I used a Delorme GPS antenna plugged into my notebook, and running Map'N'Go.  The disadvantage of that system was that being the only driver, and my wife unable to navigate due to very poor eyesight, it simply was not convenient to futz with the notebook propped up on the doghouse.

Mind you, I could have built a nice little stand for the notebook--there are plans for such in the forum's files.  Now I am completely inept when it comes to handyman jobs--what the hell am I doing with a motorhome, you ask :); good question-- so I took the $1200 CDN solution and bought the Garmin.

In truth I'm glad I did.

Ciao,

Doug

How portable do you mean? Handheld or simply not permanently installed in a vehicle or boat?  The Street Pilot and 26xx models mentioned so far are "luggable" more than portable - you certainly wouldn't take one on a hike! They can be easily moved from one vehicle to another but aren't designed for humans to carry.

Steve,

To the best of my knowledge the 2610 and 2620 are identical to each other save that the 2610 uses a memory card (that can be removed) and the 2620 has a built in form of "HD."

I went with the 2610 because when I told the sales person (at a store that sells nothing but GPS stuff) that I wanted to be able to fuss with my routings on my computer and then upload to the Garmin the routing I was satisfied with, she said go with the 2610, that I'd be frustrated with the 2620.

As I said previously, I am quite satisfied with my 2610.

Ciao,

Doug

RV Roamer said:
How portable do you mean? Handheld or simply not permanently installed in a vehicle or boat?  The Street Pilot and 26xx models mentioned so far are "luggable" more than portable - you certainly wouldn't take one on a hike! They can be easily moved from one vehicle to another but aren't designed for humans to carry.

Gary

The 26xx models don't have batteries so while they are luggable they aren't usable while being lugged ;D ;D

BernieD said:
RV Roamer said:
How portable do you mean? Handheld or simply not permanently installed in a vehicle or boat?? The Street Pilot and 26xx models mentioned so far are "luggable" more than portable - you certainly wouldn't take one on a hike! They can be easily moved from one vehicle to another but aren't designed for humans to carry.

Gary

The 26xx models don't have batteries so while they are luggable they aren't usable while being lugged ;D ;D

Just need a super long cord. ;D ;D ;D

Just need a super long cord.

Well, that's for connectivity; he'll also need an athletic supporter because of the weight. ::)

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom