Southern border crossings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've only crossed by road at two southern border crossings and never in my own vehicle.

Ensenada is a very busy crossing. There are many lanes and very long lines entering the U.S. If crossing by bus, you have to exit the bus, walk across the border, then get back on the bus.

Algadones is a small border crossing. Two lanes for cars, but most of the traffic is on foot. Access on the U.S. side from I-8 west of Yuma, AZ and watch for the large sign to Algadones. If visiting Algadones for the day, park in the large lot adjacent to the border on the U.S. side and walk across. No wait and no formalities entering Mexico on foot, but expect long lines when re-entering the U.S. during snowbird season. The border has limited operating hours (IIRC it's 6.00am - 10.00pm).

Note that U.S. citizens will require a passport to re-enter the U.S. starting 2007.

Mexicali is just as congested and very hot during this time of the year. I just came through and it was a long wait and 105F....

Oh and Tom you are correct..passports will be required to re-enter the U.S. starting 2007. They are already asking for them but not insisting...yet.

I believe the border crossing that Tom first referred to is the crossing into Tijuana at San Ysidro.  It is the shortest route to Ensenada, which is about an hour south of the border crossing.  I believe it is also the busiest border crossing in the world.  It is definitely very congested and getting more and more every day.  Another crossing into Tijuana is the Otay Mesa crossing off the 94 freeway.  This can also be very congested.  It is the best way to get to the Tijuana airport.  It does not give easy access to the toll road to Ensenada and really should be avoided by anyone wanting to head further south into Baja.  The Tecate border crossing is a good way to go for anyone wanting to take the libre(free/not toll) road the back way down to Ensenada through some beautiful wine country.  The road is a bit windy and narrow.

bajawinters said:
I believe the border crossing that Tom first referred to is the crossing into Tijuana at San Ysidro.

You're quite correct. Thanks! I was thinking about our travel to/from Ensenada and mis-spoke. It really is a zoo crossing at Tijuana.

bajawinters said:
? The Tecate border crossing is a good way to go for anyone wanting to take the libre(free/not toll) road the back way down to Ensenada through some beautiful wine country.? The road is a bit windy and narrow.

Just a caution for anyone coming back into the USA through the Tecate border crossing ina motorhome with a tow vehicle.  This was the crossing used by our Fantasy Caravan when we reentered the states.  Unfortunately the officials had us use the regular passenger car lanes and we had to complete the obstacle course  with concrete K rails suitable to counter the attack of terrorists :D 

I walked with hand held radio and guided Terry through the twisted turns.  Two in our caravan  crunched their motorhomes or trailers.  They "should" have had us us the very large wide truck lanes.  It can be done (as we did it) but you need to be very careful.  The crossing itself was without incident though the agriculture inspectors on US side did check very carefully inside refrig and threw away some lunch meat I'd forgotten.

Betty

Amen to the bit of info on the return.  It is a very difficult passage back to the states.  It is a little less crazy than the TJ return to the north.  But those lanes with the concrete can be a real hazard to people with large rigs.  We advise everyone to do similar to what you did and get through it safely.  Glad you made it through alright Betty. :)

I could only find 31 southern border crossings. They are in the attached Excel file if interested.

Attachments

• Mexican Border Crossings.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom