Home toilet in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freebird0700

Hey, Can you use a home toilet in a class A motorhome? And if so how would you control water flow for flush?
RV dummie here.
Thanks

Using a home style toilet in a motorhome is not something I would ever recommend. The first problem is the weight of the flush tank that's typically only held in place by two relatively small bolts. As the motorhome bounces and sways while underway, the porcelain bottom of the tank is not likely to survive for long. The second problem would be trying to keep water in the trap while underway, to keep the sewer gases from the holding tank out of your coach. There are several models of RV toilets that are very "home like" in that they have a porcelain bowl for easy cleaning, and also use standard residential toilet seats.

Can it be installed?  Sure anything can be done.  Would a sane person want to?  NO!
A home toilet at best uses 1-1/2 gallons of water per flush.  A RV toilet uses maybe 1/2 gallon per flush.  Less if it is only pee.  Your holding tank would fill up 3 times faster using a home toilet.  There are two options if you do not like the low toilets standard in RV's.  first is an extended and the second is a new hi rise model toilet.  why not go that route?

In a home type toilet the extra water to flush is needed to get everything thru the "trap" at the bottom of the toilet,  RV types drop straight down into the tank without needing the trap to control gasses.>>>Dan

It would be interesting to say the least, maybe you should let him do it in HIS RV, not yours.  Other than using too much water what comes to my minds eye is the holding tank full of water going down the highway.  Every curve in the road will dump more water out of the tank onto your floor.  Not to worry though, sooner or later your fresh water tank would empty itself out trying to feed the toilet.

Sometimes trying to out-think the engineers isn't the best plan of action.

I don't know why everyone is so worried about the weight of the water in the toilet tank breaking the toilet or splashing out, eventually emptying the fresh water tank. First, one shouldn't be traveling with the pump on except when actually using the fresh water system. Second, all one has to do to avoid either problem is to turn of the supply valve to the toilet and flush it. No more water in the toilet tank.

That said, a residential toilet would fill up the black tank faster because they use more water per flush. When on the road, water would slosh out of the toilet, either over the rim of the bowl or down the drain, which would break the water seal between the toilet and the black water tank allowing tank gasses to enter the RV.

The only way a residential toilet would be practical would be if the black tank was removed and replaced with a direct connection to the sewer. Even this would be a bit tricky because the drain and sewer lines between the toilet and the "hole in the ground" would have to consist of vertical drops and near horizontal runs with a slope of 1/4" per foot to ensure all waste drains properly. Too much slope will allow the water to run away from the solids, causing them to build up in the drain. Too little slope wouldn't promote enough water velocity to wash out the solids. Any dips in the line would trap solids, causing an eventual blockage. Maintaining that accuracy with a stinky slinky would be "fun."

Park model RVs sometimes have residential toilets, but they don't have holding tanks and do have permanent sewer hook-ups. And they don't move around a lot either.

I have not heard of it in a class A but in trailers they have what is called a "Park Model" no tanks, of any kind, designed to be hooked up to water and sewer in the park.

Now if you like the convience of a flush toilet instead of a gravety toilet, Dometic has several models of Macerator toilets (Tecma is one line) I have one, they work well but do use more water than I like for my 36 gallon waste tanks.  We use it when we have full hookups and use the SeaLand (Gravety type) when we have limited hookups. as we do not, which reminds me I need to water the rig today.

In my opinion, "park models" are no more an RV than a 70' x 14' mobile home in a trailer park. The process to break one down and move it is essentially the same, with the possible exception of not needing an oversize permit. ::)

NY_Dutch said:
I didn't say it was a problem. The difference does make comparisons to real RV's an apples and oranges situation though.

This is a site of varied ideas, experiences & opinions. No one has to agree with any of them. Take what you like and leave the rest.
I look at this site as an RV buffet. Some choice meat and some eye-candy(that idea was kinda hard to express in type).
Besides ...12-21  ??? 12-22 ;)

Icemaker said:
This is a site of varied ideas, experiences & opinions. No one has to agree with any of them. Take what you like and leave the rest.
I look at this site as an RV buffet. Some choice meat and some eye-candy(that idea was kinda hard to express in type).
Besides ...12-21  ??? 12-22 ;)
Ok, and I expressed my opinion of park models. I have no idea what your last line is supposed to mean...

Opinions are like... fill in the blank!

freebird0700 why do you want to change the toilet out?

If you want to leave the plastic toilets behind, and get a larger seating area, some of the Thetford line are reasonable sized china bowl models.

We installed one last fall, with a step for added height, it solved our dislike for the lower, smaller seating area plastic bowled toilets!

JM2C

NY_Dutch said:
Ok, and I expressed my opinion of park models. I have no idea what your last line is supposed to mean...

Dutch I kinda agree w/you...they're not my cup-of-tea...but some love them...hell some base-jump too, which is cool if you like that kinda thing just not for me..
The other is the Mayan Calender doomsday thingy...http://news.discovery.com/space/the-2012-mayan-calendar-doomsday-date-might-be-wrong.html ...
Basically the end is 12-21-12.... :-[ ...but if 12-22-12 comes around than... :)

I don't have a park model, but use my trailer like one as I am seasonal.  In my opinion, a park model is to a cottage, what a double-wide is to a house.  And I don't have a problem with that.  I can't afford a cottage on a waterfront property.  I can afford a trailer and rent a seasonal waterfront lot.  It becomes a cheap cottage.

We have permanent hookups, but still have the holding tank, so I still need to use it like a regular RV with the black tank closed and only open it to dump. 

There are a lot of park models where I am setup, I'd say about half of them if not more have holding tanks.  I don't really understand why.  They also even have a battery, water pump, fresh water tank and lights on 12V.  I guess they can be setup on a vacant lot and just use a generator, lug water and a blue tote for dumping. 

Anyway, the problem with home style toilet is just the amount of water.  If you always have full hookup, it's not an issue other than having to dump more frequently.  I'd go with a nicer ceramic RV model myself.

Back
Top Bottom