Washer/Dryer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mare32

We are in the process of purchasing a new 40' Road Warrior Toy Hauler 5th.

It doesn't come with a washer/dryer unit, so we are looking into what are good brands & what is best, combo or stackable.

This is going to be our home for a few years. With that being said, would it be worth purchasing the W/D or just using the Laundromat?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!  :D

May I suggest that you use the Search button above and use washer dryer for one search and then Splendide for another search.  Those two searches will bring up a number of previous questions on this subject.

Briefly, Splendide is the most common W/D in RVs.  It's an all-in-one unit that washes and dries in one process.  Unfortunately it doesn't fold or put the stuff in drawers or on hangers!  ;)  The reason Splendide is so popular is that it takes significantly less space than a stacked unit.  Had I gotten a stacked unit I would have lost one HUGE storage space which holds a lot of stuff I couldn't fit elsewhere.  The reason we have it is that my husband hated waiting for me while I was at the laundromat and it was he who first suggested that we HAD to have a washer/dryer in our next motorhome.  I'm glad he did because I love it!  RV washer/dryers aren't at all like your home unit so there's a learning curve involved when you get one.  They're also smaller so we tend to wash every day or two instead of letting it all stack up for a long wash day.  The nice thing is that you can put a set of towels in and go out to have fun.  When you return they're dry and ready to use.

If you decide on getting a W/D make sure it's VENTED because these units are slow at drying and the unvented ones take forever to dry.  Also, it's really important to make sure you have the proper wiring.  If your RV is prewired and preplumbed that will help immensely.  Remember, our stick and brick home dryers use 220 volts but RV washer dryers only use 120 volts so buying a unit you would use in a house will not work.

I love not going to laundromats where I've seen some pretty yucky things go into the washers.  Also, finding one in a strange town isn't always the easiest thing in the world.  Some people smoke in laundromats so your clean clothes end up smelling of their cigarettes like they were never washed.  Some people put their pets on the folding tables which is a real negative for people who have allergies.  Some people enjoy laundromats, but I'm not one of them.  I prefer my own unit that I know is both clean and convenient.  Not only that, I have a big bed right next to it where I can fold things.

ArdraF

Thank you for your reply! It is very helpful & pretty much the same thing I've read here & there.  :)

We had a Haier in our house.  Worked good enough.  The combo units use 120 volts, so the dryer takes a little while longer.

http://www.haieramerica.com/appliances/washers-dryers/washer-dryer-combo

Our units are RCA Whirlpool.  The dryer is on a shelf above the washer.  Although the dryer is 110-120V, it seems to dry as well as the 240V in a stick house.  Capacity on washer and dryer is sufficiently large.

I had a Splendide on my boat and loved it.  I am in the process of installing a haier in my motorhome.  It was that or the Ariston due to space for the door to open.  Mine is not plumbed for it and it is taking some modification.  Because of the smaller drum we just do a load every day.  The all in one is great.  Set it and forget it. 

There are some tricks like using fabric softners helps.

We have the Whirlpool 2 piece washer/dryer. Works well with no complaints. When on full hookup it's invaluable. Take dirty clothes off, into the basket next to the units. Into the washer, up to the dryer, out onto the bed, folded and back into the drawers. We still carry enough clothes for a couple or three weeks without laundry when we're w/o full hookups.

I'm still not sure how socks can get lost. Happened twice this trip. Still, I wouldn't be without W/D in the rig.

Ken

Personally we think having the washer/dryer onboard is wonderful as long as you have room for it. We didn't mind going to laundromats when we had a shorter rig, but not going is even better!

The stack set is a somewhat better washer & dryer - more capacity, you can wash and dry at the same time, etc., but the cost is in space & weight for two units instead of one and probably additional water consumption too.  That's a tradeoff only you can decide.

Some folks just plain prefer the separate washer and dryer like they are used to at home - not need to retrain the laundry operator. We find that the Splendide combo is fine for our needs (we have the latest model, the 2100XC), but the person who does the laundry has to determine what tool is best suited to the need.

We had the Splendide 2000s installed.  It was all we had room for.  It would have been nice to have the 2100 a bit larger capacity or even stackables.  DW wife uses it almost everyday we have hook ups.  She also uses the laundromat for bigger heavier loads.  She has gotten quite the system down.  Plus I have become very intimidate with it for repairs.  It works extremely well for us.

On our last RV (5th wheel ) we had stacked washer and dryer, the DW just loved them, our new coach has the combo, she hates it. So sometime in the near future I will be replacing it with another set of stackables. :-[

Kenneth,

You will find that you have only one electric circuit to the W/D compartment. Our rig came with the separate Washer and Dryer. The dryer is not stacked but on a shelf above the washer. Both the washer and dryer were pluged into the same outlet which meant you could only use one at a time. To fix this I ran a separate circuit from the main panel to this W/D compartment to handle the dryer.

ken

They just could not make it easy on me huh ?  No problem, one question though ! Is your cabinet large enough to handle the Splendide dryer or did you go with one of the smaller ones ?

Thanks
Ken

We are looking at the Washer/Dryer situation,  go info on this topic.  "The stack set is a somewhat better washer & dryer - more capacity, you can wash and dry at the same time, etc., but the cost is in space & weight for two units instead of one and probably additional water consumption too.  That's a tradeoff only you can decide."
So far, considering we have the bay in the back of the Toyhauler, the over-under apartment unit looks feasible.  Will need to remove a shelf that's on the wall, however the space is there even with the golf cart loaded.  Now just looking for the slim'est unit available, then running the exhaust and plumbing.

Kenneth said:
They just could not make it easy on me huh ?  No problem, one question though ! Is your cabinet large enough to handle the Splendide dryer or did you go with one of the smaller ones ?

Thanks
Ken

Our washer is a whirlpool Italian made model. Its very good. Operates a lot like a dish washer in that it has its own heat element to bring the water up to the temperature selected even if you have the hot water heater off. They make a matching dryer,but Monaco went cheap and put in a lower end Whirlpool dryer - but it works just fine. Both these unit are 24 inches wide. 

ken

Ken,

In your Camelot is the Main breaker panel in the "throne" room over the toilet? If it is and you need help with the wiring just ask.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Ken,

In your Camelot is the Main breaker panel in the "throne" room over the toilet? If it is and you need help with the wiring just ask.

ken

It is, and I WILL be asking ,thank you !    I am trying to hold her off until summer  :'(  I did install a Samsung residential 197 and had Villa Intl custom make her a new couch so far  ;D

So far we have been pretty happy with the upgrade process, but like you we live in the coach and eventually would like to mirror what you have done with the electrical .

Ken

Ken,

When you're ready just send me a PM (personal message) to make sure I get your request - and/or come to a rally we are attending.

ken

We live in our 5th wheel and have a stackable W/D.  We are looking into a motorhome.  Now most of those come with the all in one W/D combo.  I've read many reviews about how your clothes come out all wrinkled when using the combos.  And one person told me he has to take his clothes out while still damp and hang them around the house so they don't wrinkle.  What is the consensus?  Are the combos that bad?  Should I still keep searching for the MH with stackable?  Thanks :)

W/D. was on my must-have list.  The pre-owned RV we bought had connections, but only space for a combo unit.  From what I had read, I was confident that the risk of taking forever to dry was something I was willing to live with.  We got a new Splendide.  So far, I am almost completely satisfied.  The small loads mean more of them, but it is manageable.  I will probably have to wash sheets in camp laundry facilities, but that will be ok.

I can't say how much water or electricity it uses, but it is worth it not to have to truck dirty clothes to launder somewhere else.

the washer instructions echo what others say: remove the laundry when the wash cycle ends and reload them for the dryer.  Also bear in mind that the machine can dry less laundry than it can wash, so remove some items at that time.  through trial and error, I have discovered that it works better if I set it to do 20 minutes of drying, then do the rearranging and set the dryer for 40-60 additional minutes.

I do have to pay attention when drying my husband's shirts.  I need to dry them less completely and then hang them damp, but I keep forgetting to set a timer for that.  but his clothes are the only things I have had a problem with.  other items don't wrinkle too much, so I don't really stress about it.  I Hang dry a lot of clothes, anyway, so maybe I am more flexible than some people, but I would NOT say that I hang things up "all around the house."

Our experience is similar to jrabbits, but we are pretty flexible too. We hang a few things, like our nicer shirts/blouses and I even built a rack that easily slips onto the rear ladder to make that easy. Never had a problem with sheets & pillow cases in the Splendide. Shorts and t-shirts, which is a major portion of our daily wear, come out ok with us.

Maybe we just have low standards.  Heck, I know one fulltimer lady who irons everything, even the sheets and t-shirts, so obviously people have differing standards.

Back
Top Bottom